F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any feedback as to just drain and refill the transmission fluid rather than doing a whole drain and flush?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think all you have to do is drain the fluid and change the filter on the F-150. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he says that if the vehicle doesn't have a good maintenance history then all you should do with the transmission is just drain the fluid in the pan and replace the filter. If you flush the fluid on an older transmission that has not been maintained properly, you can have issues with the transmission after. But I would just drain the fluid out of the pan and replace the filter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dont think you can do a proper flush as we have a thermostat that opens at 190F I believe, so do 7qts now with filter, and 7qts later no filter

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think all you have to do is drain the fluid and change the filter on the F-150. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he says that if the vehicle doesn't have a good maintenance history then all you should do with the transmission is just drain the fluid in the pan and replace the filter. If you flush the fluid on an older transmission that has not been maintained properly, you can have issues with the transmission after. But I would just drain the fluid out of the pan and replace the filter.
That was true... about 25 years ago.

A pan drop/fill won't get half of the fluid inside. The right and thorough way would be to do a flush and a pan drop/fill to change the screen.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
185 Posts
Why not just get it good and hot, drain it, change filter, fill it ?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
"Drain it" is a bit of a misnomer.

You can't just drain all the fluid from the tranny. At least not relying on gravity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pan drop every 30k.
IDK. Mine is great. Got the new flash. Shifts dang near perfectly. Runs normal temps even when towing heavy. Has ~76000 miles on fluid and filter. Runs so good I'm afraid to crack it open.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done a few flushes on a few cars and trucks I have owned and more or less do it this way, on the F150 it is the way I have done it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice (y)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I did mine about a month ago, but i bought an AFE pan so that next time around i dont have to pull the whole pan. It kinda sucks.

I even bought a fumoto valve for the afe pan so i could just drain a few quarts each oil change if i felt like it. I have not installed the fumoto yet because its going to be pretty exposed.

Btw, the afe pan doesnt really make a difference in trans temps. I still get to the same 206-208*F i normally do towing.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have a pump that sucked the fluid out of the pan through the dipstick hole. It didn’t get all the fluid out but enough to make it so I didn’t have a giant oil spill when you take the pan off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
^^^^^^ I did the exact same thing, i highly recommend it - I also found the bolts above the exhaust to be a PITA and only accessible by a 8 mm wrench fyi, also couldnt get torque wrench on them, so did them as tight as possible (initially was leaking at those bolts because i didn't tighten enough )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts