F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of adding tuner, intake, and so on. Not really worried about warranty but wondering how trans will hold up with added boost and torque, has anybody had issues etc.:cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am thinking of adding tuner, intake, and so on. Not really worried about warranty but wondering how trans will hold up with added boost and torque, has anybody had issues etc.:cool:
This is the same transmission used in the F250/350 trucks, so it is pretty strong. And save your money on intake, they only lighten your wallet.

BTW, further research shows I was wrong about this being the same tranny as the Super Duty. But it is known to be stout.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have my SCT on 93 tune and no problems on trans. If I get on it pretty good it performs well.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Ford trans is very stout and holds up to 600+hp and 1000+ ft. lbs. of torque in the Diesel trucks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the sct tune mine shifts quite hard into 3rd gear, 2nd is perfect as well as 4,5, and 6

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the same transmission used in the F250/350 trucks, so it is pretty strong. And save your money on intake, they only lighten your wallet.
They claim to get up to 33 RWHP with AFE Stage 2 intake. Was looking at it but never ever saw one installed, just going on manufacture stats. Was wondering if any real gains would be seen, considering it has twin turbo.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They claim to get up to 33 RWHP with AFE Stage 2 intake. Was looking at it but never ever saw one installed, just going on manufacture stats. Was wondering if any real gains would be seen, considering it has twin turbo.
The stock airbox makes more power from idle to 3000 RPM and then the aftermarket kits pull ahead. I don't do much driving over 3000 and reduced power in the low rpm range often means worse fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, the 6R80 in the F-150 is not the same as the 6R140 in the Superduties. The 6R140 was designed in house by Ford, and the 6R80 is Ford's version of ZF's 6HP32 6-speed transmission or it's 2nd generation the 6HP34. It is not known which version they exactly use since Ford keeps that information well guarded. Some have speculated that they uses the 6HP32 version on the pre 2011 models and the 6HP34 on the post 2011 models when they "upgraded" their transmissions, but this has not been confirmed. The 6HP32 that has a max input torque rating of 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) and a 2nd generation came out in 2009 which was the 6HP34 that has a max torque input of 850 Nm (626 lb-ft). Both generations are still made and used by car manufacturers today depending on the max torque input required. Either way, the 6R80 is NOT rated for 1,000 lb-ft as stated earlier. FYI, lb-ft is a unit of torque and ft-lb is a unit of energy.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
No, the 6R80 in the F-150 is not the same as the 6R140 in the Superduties. The 6R140 was designed in house by Ford, and the 6R80 is Ford's version of ZF's 6HP32 6-speed transmission or it's 2nd generation the 6HP34. It is not known which version they exactly use since Ford keeps that information well guarded. Some have speculated that they uses the 6HP32 version on the pre 2011 models and the 6HP34 on the post 2011 models when they "upgraded" their transmissions, but this has not been confirmed. The 6HP32 that has a max input torque rating of 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) and a 2nd generation came out in 2009 which was the 6HP34 that has a max torque input of 850 Nm (626 lb-ft). Both generations are still made and used by car manufacturers today depending on the max torque input required. Either way, the 6R80 is NOT rated for 1,000 lb-ft as stated earlier. FYI, lb-ft is a unit of torque and ft-lb is a unit of energy.
Whoa that was a lot of technical speak. It seems like you have a lot of technical knowledge on the subject. Thanks for your post and the information. Also, welcome to the forum. Post up an introduction in the introduction section when you get a chance.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Traci was more interested in the beer!

I run the Livernois tune with Airaid CAI. Mine shifts very nicely and has a large power increase from stock.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm at 57,000 miles and change had dealer diagnose some transmission issues from 3rd to 4th. They are having me come back on 23rd and tear trans apart.

Thank God they are giving me a loaner. I'll be running stock for a bit.:(

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think its 4th gear clutch pack, Dealer will find out when they tear it apart.:(

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When it shifts from 3rd to 4th there is a pause and then slams into 4th, definitely not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I changed fluid , just to see if issue would be fixed and it wasn't so I figured before my drivetrain warranty expired I would get it fixed. The trans does it part throttle to wide open. It gets worse if your wide open.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I changed fluid , just to see if issue would be fixed and it wasn't so I figured before my drivetrain warranty expired I would get it fixed. The trans does it part throttle to wide open. It gets worse if your wide open.
Hi Ecoboost Clark,

I want to push this shifting issue up the chain to your regional customer service manager (CSM); they'll work with your dealer to ensure things go smoothly. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

1 - 20 of 30 Posts