F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone else noticed a lagging maybe transmission engagement? Today pulling out of my neighborhood for example I gave it gas, nothing really happened and then a loud clunk as it felt like dropping the clutch would.

I've also noticed in heavy stop and go traffic the truck shifts hard back and forth from 2-3 and anytime you let off the gas slightly and then back on after coasting a short range.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had similar issues in the past one my truck was (for lack of a better way to say it) more new... when used to put it in reverse to back out of my driveway and then switch to drive and had that loud clunk sound, not all the time when this happened but sometimes. And also while driving in traffic I have to let off the gas and it would shift hard. I am up almost at 14,000 miles now with my 8 month old truck, and that I can remember that has not happened in a very long time. I am running a very harsh custom tune so my shifts driving in stop and go are aggressive all the time now but I know that the clunk sound/feeling when I switch from reverse to forward has not happened. If you find out that it is something wrong with the transmission please let me know I kind of had forgotten about this till I read your post.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. If like to ask when I take it in for the next oil change but I don't want it mistaken for the surging and detuned by accident haha.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have noticed some very minor things along these lines... driving at lower speeds lightly on the gas, then letting off and coasting then back on the gas the truck may get confused as to which gear it should be in and grabs onto one a bit less than smooth... especially noticeable when you turn a sharp 90 degree corner since the truck never downshifts into 2nd gear as far as I can tell... right around 15 mph or so it will drop from 3rd to 1st assuming you are comign to a stop, so if you get back on the gas at just the right (wrong) time it may clunk into gear... Heard a couple clunks out of the drivetrain, possibly rear end when getting on the gas at lower speeds, but nothing bad... In general the truck engages from reverse to drive and back fairly quickly and very smoothly, and in general shifts prety well. I use the select shift button to lock out gears all the time, or to grab a downshift when I dont want to press the pedal down any more. Works pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback in here. I read most of it and keep it in mind when I notice things happening in my own truck.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have noticed the same thing every now and then. I noticed it more when the truck is running the stock tune vs a custom one.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Mine has a slight "clunk" when going from drive to reverse (or vise versa) when the trans is really cold. Chocked it up to a high idle condition as well as a cold drive line.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
mine has a slight "clunk" when going from drive to reverse (or vise versa) when the trans is really cold. Chocked it up to a high idle condition as well as a cold drive line.
x2

sppd

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have noticed the same thing every now and then. I noticed it more when the truck is running the stock tune vs a custom one.
Now that I come to really think about it my problems did stop once I started running my custom tunes... Either way it shouldn't be doing it but yeah I ignored it...

·
Registered
523 Posts
As anyone else noticed a lagging maybe transmission engagement? Today pulling out of my neighborhood for example I gave it gas, nothing really happened and then a loud clunk as it felt like dropping the clutch would.

I've also noticed in heavy stop and go traffic the truck shifts hard back and forth from 2-3 and anytime you let off the gas slightly and then back on after coasting a short range.
Yep I've commented at nauseum about the same things. http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-f150-ecoboost-chat/1356-transmission-gear-selection.html

I've experienced the hard shift occasionally from 2nd to 3rd. I've taken a mental note of the variables in play. When I've experienced this issue I've been accelerating slightly, just as the transmission makes the decision to shift from 2nd to 3rd, I let off the gas pedal, occasionally this scenario will get me a notably hard shift.

I've recently moved to using a different transmission tune from another SCT dealer and quite pleased so far. The one I'm running now responds well, good quick concise decisions. I need to put more miles on it before I declare victory.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Mine has a slight "clunk" when going from drive to reverse (or vise versa) when the trans is really cold. Chocked it up to a high idle condition as well as a cold drive line.
I wouldn't say I hear a "clunk", but I have noticed a couple of times a "delay" when backing up and then putting it in drive. My engine was also cold with a higher idle speed. I just chalked it up to "It's early ... I need to wake up a bit first".

I will say this is my first Electronically Controlled Automatic, so I am uncertain how much of that is "PCM caused". Most of the vehicles I've driven were standards. Only a few were automatics, and all were the older "non-electronic" controlled. And all those autos had a "slight clunk" when switching from reverse to drive & vice versa. Even those that were "brand new".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts