F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the form. I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost with the max towing package and I love it. I got it for towing my 35 ft camper about 10,000 lbs. currently have 16K miles and have had no regrets. How often should I change the transmission fluid since all I do is tow the camper? Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had mine serviced at 28,000 miles since I always did the Avalanche at 30,000 miles and the people at the Ford house all looked at me like I was nuts when I told them what I wanted. I'm like you with towing my 27 ft toy hauler. I can't remember what the manual recommends but its past 100,000 miles and I will never go that long. I figure play it by ear and if the trans is still working well at 50,000 miles, I'll have it serviced. If the temps start climbing skyward it will get some attention sooner.

I need to clarify that. I just bought my second EBa month ago, a 4X4 so that is the one I will be waiting till 50,000 on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd like to know the process for this. From what I've seen online, the dipstick to check the fluid level is on the side of the transmission pan underneath the truck. You have to remove the fiber cover with 4 twist lock screws to get to the pan and then use a 19mm wrench on the bolt which is like a tall tower type bolt with the dipstick attached to it. You're supposed to check it under the truck with it running. Doh!

I'd just like to know the process for a drain / fill of the transmission, as pulling the pan to do a full change is much more of a process, and like has been mentioned, not really necessary for 100k miles unless you are hard on the truck. Not sure on the transmission fluid capacity, but if its anything like my last truck and holds around 10 quarts, you might be able to drain 3-4 quarts out of it by pulling the drain plug, then just keep track of that and put the same amount back in. Doing a couple refreshes like that throughout the first 100k is enough to keep me happy.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Screw that. Bring it in and have it flushed. That is the only way to get all of the old fluid out and new fluid in.
Unless they changed things up and put a drain plug on the torque converter you can only get part of the fluid out.
I flush my diesel after every plow season like clock work. Best $200 you can spend.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you do a lot of towing, 30K miles is probably wise to get it serviced. Can't hurt anything and yes it is a pain in the butt to check.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Screw that. Bring it in and have it flushed. That is the only way to get all of the old fluid out and new fluid in.
Unless they changed things up and put a drain plug on the torque converter you can only get part of the fluid out.
I understand that you can only get part of the fluid out. On my last truck I did a couple drain / fills replacing about 4 qts each time and the fluid was CLEAN. Dont really see a reason to flush it all when it really doesnt need it. Drain / Fills are easy to boot.

That said, where's the drain plug? And do you fill it from the dipstick hole on the side of the transmission?

·
Registered
475 Posts
You have to fill it thru the dipstick hole, pain in the ass. To drain you have to remove the entire pan, another pain in the ass. To get it all out, it has to be pumped out. Best to just let the dealer do it or a shop you trust

If you don't do a lot of towing,even 60 or 80K miles is not too long.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I understand that you can only get part of the fluid out. On my last truck I did a couple drain / fills replacing about 4 qts each time and the fluid was CLEAN. Dont really see a reason to flush it all when it really doesnt need it. Drain / Fills are easy to boot.

That said, where's the drain plug? And do you fill it from the dipstick hole on the side of the transmission?
I agree and that is exactly my point. You will only drain several quarts out so if the fluid is deteriorating then you are just mixing good fluid with bad and diluting both.
As for where to flush, check around. The dealer may be the best option in some locations for this. It isn't cheap but it's well spent insurance money.
I have 130,00 miles on my original transmission on my Super Duty diesel. I have plowed with this truck since the year it was purchased and I'm still on the original transmission without any rebuilds.
As for how to drain the fluid, I have no idea, when it is time to so so I will drop it off and pick it up when it is done.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wanted to bump this topic again. Is there really do drain plug on the EcoBoost Transmission!? :mad:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Um most transmissions do not have drain plugs.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Any auto trans I've worked on... Guess I can't say I have worked on one in the last 10 years... I retract my little knowing comment.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Even using the best synthetic fluids, I flush and refill transmission every 30,000 miles. OEM's don't have to buy me a new transmission when it blows up after 100,000 miles. IMO there is no such thing as these "lifetime" fluids. Diff's and transfer case also get changed at 30,000 miles. ANY reputable transmission shop will give you the same advice. Pay $150-$200 every couple of years or pay several thousand when it blows. Unless you are going to change vehicles every 3-5 years you should service it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Even using the best synthetic fluids, I flush and refill transmission every 30,000 miles. OEM's don't have to buy me a new transmission when it blows up after 100,000 miles. IMO there is no such thing as these "lifetime" fluids. Diff's and transfer case also get changed at 30,000 miles. ANY reputable transmission shop will give you the same advice. Pay $150-$200 every couple of years or pay several thousand when it blows. Unless you are going to change vehicles every 3-5 years you should service it.
This message brought to you by ...synthetic oil outfitters......

·
Registered
262 Posts
This message brought to you by ...synthetic oil outfitters......
That's like saying Anything a Forum Supporting Vendor says is null because of their affiliation. No where on this forum have I told people what to use. I never said what any one should use, just that it should be changed. My post didn't even mention the name.

Christ, Ford specs 100k for spark plugs but I see plenty on here that advocate as little as 10K. So they will replace spark plugs but not maintain trans, and diffs? Call me crazy (I know, I just opened the door :rolleyes:), but I think that's bassackwards thinkin.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
15 Participants
WooBoost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing