F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m needing some help about a situation I’m in. I’m going to keep it short and straight to the point, so back in May of 2019, Ford had issued and even update for the transmissions dropping to first gear without notice. When I took my truck to get my ECM updated, I was talking with a service person about some issues I had been having related to my transmission. Basically, my trans mission has been acting up for about a year now, and each time something would happen just a little bit worse than the last. First it was the loss of reverse randomly, then while driving the display of which gear you were in “1-6 and transmission position “P R D M...”, FYI the occurrences where still random and unpredictable with days, weeks between each occurrence. So after exposing that to the Ford service person, they said the ECM update will help fix these issues. As always most service writers/advisors know as much about a vehicle, as your local auto parts store Master Mechanic. After update probably a week or two it happens again. So I called up to the dealership to try and get a estimate on getting my truck looked at/fixed. As always, it was this astronomical amount, so I had to wait and figure something out. Skip to late September/October. Ford now has released a extended parts warranty for the transmission lead frame, which I had already known was bad, but this was like the heaven’s opening up and allowing me to save my hard earned money. Which made me ecstatic, because at the time my daughters 2 year old birthday “of course it was at some over priced kids play paradise, but the wife’s happy” and then also my wedding. Both within a 3 month span. So I call Ford and inquire about the extended warranty. And wouldn’t you know it, they tell me I do not qualify for the program. The mileage limit was 150,000 miles, I am at 180,000 “give or take a 1,000”. So I do some research and wouldn’t you know it, it’s clearly states that if you are passed the 150k limit you have until 10/31/19 to have the repair completed. Unfortunately, to no surprise, I found this information on 10/30/19. So the next day I’m anxiously watching the clock,to call the dealership the moment they walk in the door. Finally the time comes to call the dealership and... wait for it....the time has expired for me to get the repair done under warranty. After 2-3 days of calming down, I try to reach out to ford, and explain my situation. And finally I get some answers, Ford tells me that it’s a 10 year, 150k miles “whichever comes first” and if you had if you already exceed 150k the you have until 10/31/19, but you had until 11/30/19 to actual get the repair completed by a ford mechanic. The ford representative gave the the service managers contact info at the local dealership to contact, so I did. And to no surprise,after 3 days no response to email. I guess it time to call, no answer. So I result back to emails. Still can’t get anyone to contact me back and of course they close before I get off work. So I just basically give up, my truck stills gets me to A and B, basically work. Being the the only income. I didn’t have time to play this running around game with ford. Just to try and get someone to listen to me. Skip to this year, it’s getting worse, and more repetitive. Now it’s March,driving home from work one day, my trucks transmission is going crazy. This thing becomes more decisive than my wife. It doesn’t know what it wants to do. It’s locking and unlocking torque convertor, up shifts super hard, and throwing a wrench light. And after this first occurrence. The problem is very easy to reproduce. Basically, my truck underivable, until the problem gets fixed. So, today I take my truck in to the dealership and have a diagnostic done. They explain to me that my transmission lead frame is bad. Also, during the diagnostic, they find that the torque convertor clutch solenoid is bad and tell me that they recommend I replace my torque convertor as well. Grand total for this repair, $2800. Just to replace the lead frame, $1300. With this pandemic happening, I definitely don’t feel comfortable just dropping thousands of dollars. And in my opinion it would be thousands of dollars that I wasn’t even suppose to pay due to ford engineering flaw. I’m stuck between pushing the issue with ford with how they handled this warranty issue and just spending the money to have it repaired. I need my truck to get back in fourth from home to work to keep money coming in. On the other hand though, tomorrow could be the day we go on lock down and I can’t work and need to use money I’ve saved up to get by. Just super frustrated with this whole ordeal, and how much stress it has caused me. Just kills me that I’m stressing over this problem and this billion dollar corporation can’t come of some parts and labor warranty fees for $1300 dollars and my dealership that is to busy to stop and ask ford if they would approve the repair. FYI I have copy’s off the messages between me and ford after the first time getting told no by the dealership and pictures of codes and videos of truck acting up. All in which have dates when they were produced. I’ll take all the advice I can get. I

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think if you're past the mileage and service dates, you got nothing. If you want to fight it because you think Ford dragged their feet, then lawyer up. I can guarantee that Ford has deeper pockets and will bleed you dry. They will make that $1300 look like $20.

Sounds like there are more issues with the trans than just the lead frame. I'd probably err on replacing more than just the lead frame. Perhaps a remanufactured trans or a low miles wrecker. I'd also probably stop dealing with Ford and start talking to a tranny shop. Whatever you decide, it s ultimately the safety of your family here. Even if Ford rubbed you the wrong way, I'd probably just move on.

·
Premium Member
2017 Ford F150 3.5 King Ranch
73 Posts
I think if you're past the mileage and service dates, you got nothing. If you want to fight it because you think Ford dragged their feet, then lawyer up. I can guarantee that Ford has deeper pockets and will bleed you dry. They will make that $1300 look like $20.

Sounds like there are more issues with the trans than just the lead frame. I'd probably err on replacing more than just the lead frame. Perhaps a remanufactured trans or a low miles wrecker. I'd also probably stop dealing with Ford and start talking to a tranny shop. Whatever you decide, it s ultimately the safety of your family here. Even if Ford rubbed you the wrong way, I'd probably just move on.
Not to joke about it, but it looks like couples will be getting $2400, ind $1200 for the stimulus bill just agreed upon. Maybe twice. You can use that to pay for your repairs. After all the money actually is supposed to be spent to keep the economy humming. It’s a bummer but hey maybe it couldn’t have come at a better time for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Ford F150 3.5 King Ranch
73 Posts
What year is your truck by the way?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to joke about it, but it looks like couples will be getting $2400, ind $1200 for the stimulus bill just agreed upon. Maybe twice. You can use that to pay for your repairs. After all the money actually is supposed to be spent to keep the economy humming. It’s a bummer but hey maybe it couldn’t have come at a better time for you.

Very true, definitely going to keep that an option. I just hate when something fails, doesn’t throw codes, or my favorite “the mechanic can’t reproduce the problem”. No matter how much evidence you have wether it’s pictures, videos etc. Unless the dealership can find evidence, your just screwed. I just feel like if a manufacturer finds a defective part and all effected models should be replaced. Just because Joe Blow doesn’t drive his truck, and I use mine daily. He can have the part replaced, while i am stuck paying a bill.

My truck is a 2011 and I’ve had every problem in the book! First 6 months of owning it, the dealership drove it more than me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was discussing the issues I was experiencing with the dealership, prior to the extended parts warranty expiring.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was discussing the issues I was experiencing with the dealership, prior to the extended parts warranty expiring.
If that's the case then I would take all your information to the service manager and discuss it with him. Maybe they will discount the repair or something. I just know once you mention LAWYER or LEGAL ACTION, they will stop dealing with you and refer you to their lawyers. It doesn't really pay to get worked up about unless you're prepared to hire a lawyer. So, yeah definitely try the easy route first and see where that leads. You might as well exhaust that route first.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that's the case then I would take all your information to the service manager and discuss it with him. Maybe they will discount the repair or something. I just know once you mention LAWYER or LEGAL ACTION, they will stop dealing with you and refer you to their lawyers. It doesn't really pay to get worked up about unless you're prepared to hire a lawyer. So, yeah definitely try the easy route first and see where that leads. You might as well exhaust that route first.
Getting a lawyer was never in mind, it would be cheaper to pay for the repair. My next plan was to do exactly that, and just see what happens. If all else fails it’s about $300 in parts and I’ll do it myself, because stressing this any longer is not worth it. The same thing happened to me with my timing chain as well. I went and sat down with the service manager and dealership manager. Explained to them how they miss diagnosed a issue and they replaced my timing chain at 124,000 miles free of charge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a update on how much of a waste of time this whole thing has been for me. So I have been back and fourth with ford and the dealership. Ford keeps telling me that the repair is on the dealership, which I agree with. They were the one who denied the warranty even though I was covered. Took all the emails, pictures, the dealers service bulletin and the owners letter to the service manger. All he could say was, “there was nothing he could do.” He also stated that if I were a “loyal” customer there might be something they could do, but all o had done there was the Ecm update back in May. I replied with, “my family has bought 20-25 vehicles from ford.” Which he replied, “not from this dealership.” I simply walked out of his office never to return. It just blew my mind. Little did he know I just moved there and yes my body back in may was my first time there. When July- August comes around I will be getting a new truck and it will most definitely not be from that dealership. I don’t care how far I have to drive.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sadly your story is not too uncommon. Honestly, I think that's a way out for them to make it sound like it's your fault. I have read plenty of posts by people who had the timing chain clacking issue, went to their "lifetime" dealer and were told they couldn't help them out of warranty. One guy even stated his father even went to the same dealer when he was younger, so you're looking at 50+ years of dealership loyalty- yet they were shown the door. You just can't take it personally. It's how Ford has chosen to do business and part of the reason why their stock has reached "junk" status. I agree it's a dealer problem, but when a dealer representing a product fails to uphold their part of the deal, the corporation should step in and set them straight. I understand that dealers are sort of "caught in the middle" on these issues, but they are really undermining the success of Ford as a company. My original advice stands, I'd start looking at a good independent transmission shop. How many unhappy customers does it take for Ford to evaporate like Pontiac?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts