F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer when I was towing my Raptor 21FB toy hauler up from Alamogordo, NM through Cloudcroft, NM, I noticed the tranny was getting extremely hot and hitting temps above 230. My trailer was roughly 6500 pounds.

It's a pretty steep incline all the way up the mountain starting at around 4500ft and reaching 8500ft in probably 20-25 minutes. I was cruising 35 most of the way up. The truck definitely had enough power but the tranny had me really concerned.

What's everyone else hit when towing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi from AZ. . . I towed my 25' t.t. (also 6300# or so) from ATL to PHX in October with no elevated tran temps. Of course not that long uphill pull you did. Some hills though, and I was keeping an eye on it. regards, Craig

·
Registered
131 Posts
This summer when I was towing my Raptor 21FB toy hauler up from Alamogordo, NM through Cloudcroft, NM, I noticed the tranny was getting extremely hot and hitting temps above 230. My trailer was roughly 6500 pounds.

It's a pretty steep incline all the way up the mountain starting at around 4500ft and reaching 8500ft in probably 20-25 minutes. I was cruising 35 most of the way up. The truck definitely had enough power but the tranny had me really concerned.

What's everyone else hit when towing?
230 does seem awful high..... where was the gauge needle sitting? I know on older GM transmissions (700R4, 4L60E) that anything above 210 for an extended period of time really started to affect the longevity of the transmission. BUT with the new transmissions technology and better fluids we're putting in them we may be able to run 230+ all day and not have it affect the life of the transmission...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have been pulling a 27' enclosed trailer and even at the max load of 11K with up and down hills in Alaska(Summer time) tranny doesn't go above 206f... Plenty of power to cover the steep hills and moutain passes but noramlly temp likes to sit at 195-196 until I am pushing up the hill at 60+mph then it slowly crawls to 206 then goes back down.
I am with mike unless your tranny heads north to 300 I wouldn't be to worried. Long hills with a load + low speed = not enough air getting in and helping reduce the heat build up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Normal temperature for mine is 190. Attach the trailer and it maintains 206 on hot days. If I remember right, going up Cottonwood pass pulling the tailer (8000 ponds) it got up to 208 once.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm also concerned about the trans temps I'm seeing here in Kansas during the winter months (190º+). I'm dreading what the temps are going to be with a loaded trailer in the summer months.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Its also not good to run too cold in the trans. Am thinking this trans is thermostatically controlled throught the electronics. Can anyone verify that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
230 in that trans and your causing damage, no doubt about it. If you can keep the temps between 175 and 190 , she last a long time.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is exactly what I'm concerned about. I'm planning on taking the toy hauler out in a couple of weeks so we'll see how the tranny holds up this site :)

230 in that trans and your causing damage, no doubt about it. If you can keep the temps between 175 and 190 , she last a long time.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ford was smart and used the same tranny out of the super duty which is rated to pull even more! I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you are within the limits of the brakes and suspension. The tranny is overbuilt for 1/2 ton duties and there is a tranny fluid temp gauge to also help you know if your about to over heat (numbers are great but knowing you are in the yellow or red helps). Even with the temp showing 205f the gauge was well close to middle of normal when pulling 11k up and over mountain passes in the summer time then it was right back to 195f. Just be smart when you are towing (not speeding 70+, braking going up hills, full throttle launches, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may consider using the select shift transmission to limit the transmission to the first 3 or 4 gears only. You will use more gas but the transmission builds up most of the heat when shifting so your transmission temps will be lower. There is a button on the gear lever. Hit the plus or minus button until you see the display come up on the dash. Hit the minus button until you have the lower gear range that you are looking for ie 1-4 or 1-5.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
The most I have seen is 201, going through some hills in northern California.

·
Registered
26 Posts
197 to 203 down I20 between Atlanta and Birmingham. Outside temperature was low 70's, peed was between 55 and 80. Trailer was 8200 lbs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I saw mine hit 204 today, temps were in the low 30's and traveling 100 mph for about 6-8 miles.

That sucks and it also sucks that the speed limiter is at 100!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Read the owner's manual. The temperature you see depends on any gauge, where the reading is taken from. Temps in the 200-220 degree range aren't out of the normal running temp. range for this application. Mine runs 206 while towing my toy hauler and 194 not towing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I saw mine hit 204 today, temps were in the low 30's and traveling 100 mph for about 6-8 miles.

That sucks and it also sucks that the speed limiter is at 100!!!
SmokeyJoe,

Where you towing at 100MPH or just flying low? And i am with you on the governor being set at 100mph nothing a tuner can't fix!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
29 Participants
Mike1646
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing