F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I forgot to report back about my towing trip a couple of weekends ago.

Outside temps were around 70-80 degree, towing basically flat, tranny temp was in the 200 range for about a 75 mile trip.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I wanted to bump this thread since there are quite a few new members on the board. I'd still be interested in hearing more about what transmission temps everyone is seeing.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Highest I have seen was 215 with a very heavy load up a steep series of grades.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also saw 230 degrees pulling a 9,000 pound toy hauler up a 5% grade with 100 degree weather. The analog gauge never went above half way. On a warm day not pulling mine runs 195.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was at 196 to 199 towing my toy hauler of about 4500#'s. It was a mix of flat and some hills in the Ozarks covering 300 miles of traveling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, so I'm new but I recently purchased a 2011nd pulled our Mastercraft to the lake. Looked great. Should have taken a pic. White and black boat with white and black truck.

Anyway, very hilly Arizona heat I got into the 220s. I spoke with Ford and they said that was still Ok. In fact I could see as high as 235, but to bring it in if it got any higher.

Further I asked my trusted diesel mechanic friends and they didn't seem terribly worried stating that these newer tranny coolers run through the radiator so they will more closely mirror the engine temp and that the tranny cooler probably doesn't kick on until 190s are reached.

That being said, I am looking into getting an aftermarket cooler or bigger pan to hold more fluid.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Ok, so I'm new but I recently purchased a 2011nd pulled our Mastercraft to the lake. Looked great. Should have taken a pic. White and black boat with white and black truck.

Anyway, very hilly Arizona heat I got into the 120s. I spoke with Ford and they said that was still Ok. In fact I could see as high as 135, but to bring it in if it got any higher.

Further I asked my trusted diesel mechanic friends and they didn't seem terribly worried stating that these newer tranny coolers run through the radiator so they will more closely mirror the engine temp and that the tranny cooler probably doesn't kick on until 190s are reached.

That being said, I am looking into getting an aftermarket cooler or bigger pan to hold more fluid.
I think your numbers are off. Mine runs around 180-190 without a load. And the guage is in the middle at that temperature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think your numbers are off. Mine runs around 180-190 without a load. And the guage is in the middle at that temperature.
Haha.
My fault. Let's add 100 to each of those numbers. I've seen as high as 206 empty around town etc.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Lol that's what I thought but I wanted to double check. I have seen over 200 empty when I was going some "spirited" driving lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My buddy has a 5.9L 24v Cummins and he sees temps like this when he pulls 2 jeeps and a big trailer. guessing 15,000#. I dont think its ideal, but if you change the fluid more often you will be ok. OP we live in the same area, this is heading from NM to TX. He has a bigger transmission pan and a cooler, and still gets these temps. When they get in this range we usually stop for food let it cool down a bit or just slow down and leave it in one gear. I just ordered a FX4 with Max tow, I will be able to give you a report of what I see around the end of September. I have driven cloudcroft and know the hills back there, I am not surprised by the temps you saw, there are a lot of long grades and not many flats.

Edit: do you have the Max tow pkg?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi guys i have yet to tow anything with mine yet but i am wondering if someone is thinking their trans temp is too high at 230 degrees why not put a small cooling fan on the trans cooler itself rather than go through changing the pan and a bunch of other stuff to add more fluid capacity.
actually adding more capacity will help a little bit but also hold heat longer on the cool down cycle.
or you could alway just buy a bigger trans cooler if you feel you do enough hard towing to justify it.
im pretty new to the eco boost with a 2013 flame blue metalic crew cab 4x4 but all my other fords had a trans coil inide the radiator tank to utilize engine heat during warmup.
i doubt that they did away with that !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's an update from me. I had to rescue my mother in law from the northern AZ forest area when her car broke down in Payson. It's about 100 miles one way and very up and down terrain both ways so a good test to the truck's temps. And I can't figure to mention that the outside temp was between 100-110 the whole time we were on the road....well except in Payson where it was 90.

Anyway the trans temp never got above 210. It sat around 209 a few times, but then would go back down to 204-207.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is what I was told from the service manger who spoke with the Ford service hotline regarding my concerns with tranny temps. FMCO said: "There is an inline thermostat like restrictor that prevents fluid from going through the tranny fluid cooler until a certain temp is reached. This thermostat starts to open at ~198º, and should be fully open by ~203º, allowing an unrestricted flow of tranny fluid through the cooler." On my truck with the max tow option, is see right around 197º-199º all year around under normal highway cruising...it doesn't matter if the ambient temps are 2º or 100º. Three weeks ago I towed my RV (~6000 lbs) through the southern Missouri hills, and the tranny temp never exceeded 208º...this was with ambient temps in the low-mid 90's. FMCO also said "the tranny used behind the ecoboost is designed to operate all day long in the mid 200's, and that low 200's should cause me no concern." My background is in 1/4 mile drag cars. Our goal in cooler selection was to keep the temps in the 170's as much as possible, and to avoid at all costs seeing 200's by the end of the pass for any length of time. I know for fact that my frictions and steels started to glaze if my tranny fluid (type f) was in the low 200's for any sustained length of time. Apparently the way the new auto tranny is designed, they are made to operate at much higher temps for MPG reasons. Anyhow, the service manager also told me now that my concern about these temps has been documented in the FMCO system, a tranny failure in the future due to high fluid temps would bolster my case of getting it covered under warranty. My suggestion to anyone with a newer F150 is to take it in to the dealer and complain about high fluid temps....If nothing else, your then also in the system. I myself would like to find out where this thermostat is and remove it so my fluid runs cooler all of the time. However, that's a double edged sword, in the winter months the fluid might never get up to a "normal" operating temp. Lastly, since the tranny fluid temps are monitored by the PCM, if they were to exceed a predetermined temp, the PCM would first display a warning that fluid temps are hot. Then, if continued to be operated at a temp deemed too hot by the engineers, the PCM would force the motor into a "limp or reduced power mode", thus allowing the temps to decrease to a safe temp. If you think about it, FMCO has built in so many monitoring, and safety parameters into the new cars and trucks. Why would they allow something as easily controlled as tranny fluid temps to exceed safe temps??? Every tranny they have to replace under warranty is money out of their pocket, and they are not good with that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In my way to pickup my new travel trailer and I am consistently at 195 on the freeway without any load.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hauling my small tent trailer loaded with gear plus 5 bikes. Probably about 2800 to 3900#s. trams temp ranged from 190 to 195. Haven't checked it without a load.

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got back from week long trip around Colorado, went over several passes pulling 30' trailer, 7000+ #'s, had one pass that I hit the 230 deg area. It was warmer part of day, running AC, just passed several other vehicles, probably 70+ mph, when I noticed temp, but never had any warnings from truck. Never hit that temp again, even on the larger passes. From my recent experience and other post here, I believe these trucks are capable of these temps. Even though stating this, I did lay off a little and will do the same next time, as I was pushing the truck when the high temp happened. This all said, the truck did great, easiest pull I have ever made with travel trailers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hauling my 9300lb fifth wheel recently it hit 206 one time but it's 95-100 degrees around here this time of year. Not too bad.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts