F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.... new to the forum here. I’m sure this has been gone over before but I wanted to see if this was normal. I don’t think it is.

2019 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost. Towing approx 6600 pounds. Flat land and little hills are no issue. Big hills, transmission heats up to 237, about 3/4 on the dummy gauge. Power is not a problem, this was pulling the hill at 60 with AC on, letting the truck shift. Tried again with AC off, locked in 4th gear 55 MPH, same result. I’ve always heard and transmission temp over 220 is not good. Anyone else seeing this??? 2500 miles on the truck...... thx all!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
I think you are going to hear that those Temps ARE higher than the other guys towing will typically see. But you should know that today's transmission doesn't destroy itself at 220+ degrees, as they did in the previous Era.

Still, something isn't right, in my opinion. But nothing to panic about while you're investigating.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!!! I may run it back to the dealer and get their input since it’s so new.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Thank you!!! I may run it back to the dealer and get their input since it’s so new.

Sure hope you don't get the indifferent "that's normal" response.

But as a comparison, yesterday in Texas Temps, about 400 miles without a tow we were seeing 208 degrees for transmission temp at 75mph.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, that’s what I was seeing for flat ground towing. We were pulling about a 6% hill for about 7 miles....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Does not sound normal to me, maybe the thermostatic bypass valve is not opening and sending the TF through the cooler. I believe it opens between 190°-195°. I'm in AZ and tow around 6k worth of boat and haven't seen TF temps above 210° while towing in the summer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotboost...... even on hard grades?? I’m in AZ as well, it was the last big hill heading in to Flagstaff from PHX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha.... most hills it’s fine.... gauge doesn’t move..... just the long steep ones....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Gotcha.... most hills it’s fine.... gauge doesn’t move..... just the long steep ones....

Did the 19s go back to a front mount transmission cooler in front of the radiator? If so, maybe look into the mishimoto ATF cooler. I threw one on my truck a few weeks ago but haven't towed with it yet. It has kept my normal driving temps down around 10° so 190ish

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I pull an 8000lb toyhauler with my 2.7. My tranny temps stay around 203 - 208 on a 90 degree day. I have seen as high as 215 degrees but that was when running hard down a soft sandy beach for 50 miles (not towing).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4x4, I’m assuming it’s mostly flat towing??

For all that are interested, contacted my local dealer here in Gilbert AZ and they said the truck will start to knock the turbos out at 250 degrees. They said that here in AZ during the summer months a lot of owners have experienced what I am. Only if towing the big hills out here heading up north.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Correct,... I have towed up big hills for a short amount of time but not long grades like you are describing.
My '14 Ecoboost the highest temp I have seen was 210 hauling 3 horses up a very steep long hill on a warm day. Yesterday we were hovering near 90 and I had t haul 1 horse to the vet in steep and long hills and saw 206 at one time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
224 was the highest temp seen this year towing 7000lbs from Calgary to Vancouver. I've seen 235f while towing in a very steep winding road in second gear. Again, up to about 250 can be somewhat normal for these trucks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Lakerfan! Lakerfan and I spoke on the f150 forum. I’m in Gilbert as well. We both peaked at 237 on the transmission recently towing north of Phoenix. Sounds like this will be normal for us out here. I hit just over 3/4 on the engine temp as well on one hill. These temps were at 55-60 mph. Slowing down to 50 didn’t change it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine never goes over 210 towing 5000 lb sailboat. No big hills around here though.
A boat is aerodynamic...a travel trailer is a brick (or sail) and has significant higher wind resistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Lakerfan! Lakerfan and I spoke on the f150 forum. I’m in Gilbert as well. We both peaked at 237 on the transmission recently towing north of Phoenix. Sounds like this will be normal for us out here. I hit just over 3/4 on the engine temp as well on one hill. These temps were at 55-60 mph. Slowing down to 50 didn’t change it.
With more research it look like Ford ditched the front mounted Auxiliary transmission cooler and went back to the OTW cooler located in front of the transmission...... this would kinda explain the higher temps on the 2019.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts