F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
With more research it look like Ford ditched the front mounted Auxiliary transmission cooler and went back to the OTW cooler located in front of the transmission...... this would kinda explain the higher temps on the 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All 2018+ 10R80 Trucks have the liquid-to-liquid cooler lifted from the Super Duty.

The turbos heat the coolant and the coolant heats the transmission.

The specs for the ULV Fluid call for a preferred operating temp of 206F-215F with a overheat (250F+) duration of no more than 30 minutes continuous.

The usual way to lower coolant temp and thus trans temp is to downshift and run at higher rpm. This allows lower turbo boost (for a given power) and higher coolant circulation speeds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
All 2018+ 10R80 Trucks have the liquid-to-liquid cooler lifted from the Super Duty.

The turbos heat the coolant and the coolant heats the transmission.

The specs for the ULV Fluid call for a preferred operating temp of 206F-215F with a overheat (250F+) duration of no more than 30 minutes continuous.

The usual way to lower coolant temp and thus trans temp is to downshift and run at higher rpm. This allows lower turbo boost (for a given power) and higher coolant circulation speeds.
Thank you for the info. Seems like this may be an issue with these transmissions. Just got back from out Labor Day camping trip. Transmission got up to 244. It even heats up when going downhill and using the transmission for speed control. Speed doesn’t seem to matter on temps. Tried the same hill on the way back at 35MPH still heated up to 240 and it was 20 degrees cooler.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Lakerfan and fellas. I took another trip this last weekend up to Forrest Lakes, AZ again. I took the intercooler active grille shutters off. Also running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum after witnessing the high engine temps last time. The synblend was pretty black for 3700 miles but it had a lot of towing miles in there. We’ll see what black stone says about it.

So on the way up it was in the high 90’s mid day going through the mountains with some wind. I ran the steeper grades around 55-60. I hit 237 on the trans again doing this on 2 hills. The engine temp went up to almost 3/4 for a very short bit on one hill but came right down at the crest of the hill. The other hill it barely went over the half mark. I averaged 7.5 on the way up according to the lie o meter. Ac on most the way but not on blast.

On the way back was astronomically better. Which wasn’t the case last time. One big factor is we drove home just after dark in mid 70 degree weather with no wind. Not running the ac until we dropped down the mountains towards Phoenix. Also my wife brought my AFE drop in dry filter when she met us up there. So this return trip I had that in.

On this journey I slowed it down. Cruising around 60 most the way home and 50-55 up the bigger grades. Also I was paying attention to the hills more and getting into lower gears sooner. 5th and 6th were used for most hill climbs. 4th for one slower short climb. Never had the engine temp rise to over 3/4 like my last trip home and the trans only hit 221. Engine temp stayed put this time. Might of raised a hair but not much to speak of.

My conclusion is that the hot climates greatly affect this truck. The wind doesn’t help either obviously. The real astronomical thing that happened on the way home is that I achieved 12 mpg according to the lie o meter. Now that is with more down hills and less AC than on the way up of course but still pretty admirable. The new AFE air filter may have helped some as I felt that my mpg may have dropped with the good ole Napa GOLD filter vs the factory filter. So more experimenting to do. This truck plain just needs better cooling for this environment. It’s just good enough for it now but what happens when you get some miles on it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts