F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 tow package with 3.73....

It iced over here, my driveway is a very very slight incline, first time I had an issue was yesterday, I backed in, put it in park and it started "sliding" forward.....I kinda laughed, thinking it was that slick....backed in again trying to park where my truck had been before, where it shielded the drive from ice. No issue

Today same thing, but after I put it in park, when it started "sliding" I hit the brakes and it stopped....backed it up again put it in park, then opened the door to watch....front and rear wheels were rolling.....like the transmission wasn't actually in park. Backed up put it in park again and it didn't roll the third time. ...but I set parking brake after a minute just to be safe

When it rolled, it was slow, for reference, if it had been in neutral it would have rolled off faster than it was doing. Also, my engine was still running the whole time. ...I shut it off AFTER I put emergency brake on today

Any ideas guys? I just bought this truck 3 weeks ago and have had 0 issues so far and this confuses the hell outta me. I'd hate to imagine it rolling off somewhere after I park it

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm a 2011 Screw 3.73 4x4. My driveway is also an incline. Here in Wisconsin, we got freezing rain a few weeks ago and my truck did the same thing, then again so did my parents' vehicles. Even with the ebrake engaged. I just parked half the truck in the two feet of snow on the lawn.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your truck.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a 2011 Screw 3.73 4x4. My driveway is also an incline. Here in Wisconsin, we got freezing rain a few weeks ago and my truck did the same thing, then again so did my parents' vehicles. Even with the ebrake engaged. I just parked half the truck in the two feet of snow on the lawn.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your truck.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst
OK thanks! It hadn't had any issue until this ice so I figured.....it just seemed weird that the wheels actually rolled

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ya, 3 weeks old, why are you asking us, take it right to the dealer, that is a major safety issue.

Also for those who do no know it, failure to use your emergency brake will cause premature failure of it.
I almost never use mine, well on two vehicles I've had issues with the parts freezing up.
Both times I was told it was due to lack of use.
Just an FYI

·
Registered
523 Posts
Was there any warranty left on your truck? I like others have suggested would get your truck in to have it looked at. Where are you located?, what conditions has the truck been encountering, extreme cold, ice, snow?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Located in Missouri and yes its been cold and icy. Haven't experienced any issues other than this

Here's what I'm wondering.

I only saw my drivers side wheels rolling. ....is it possible since I have an open differential that one rear wheel (the one I saw rolling) was on pavement but the other rear on ice (and locked)??

No factory warranty but I purchased extended warranty. ...I just really think there's no problem

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ya, 3 weeks old, why are you asking us, take it right to the dealer, that is a major safety issue. Also for those who do no know it, failure to use your emergency brake will cause premature failure of it. I almost never use mine, well on two vehicles I've had issues with the parts freezing up. Both times I was told it was due to lack of use. Just an FYI

Hey could you explain your post " failure to use your emergency brake will cause premature failure " never heard of this maybe something new?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have had the same issue on other vehicles (albeit a long time ago). The cables would corrode and freeze in place. Couldn't engage the brakes. It was my first introduction to WD-40.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If your not from a state that gets snow & ice you just wouldn't understand
There are a lot of things that driving on salted roads during the winter will do to a vehicle, but unless you've experienced it explaining would be a waste of time

·
Registered
523 Posts
Failure to use the rear parking brake was an issue on the GM trucks I came from. I never had the issue because I used the parking brake every time I parked.

The issue from what I understood on the GM trucks was the parking brake shoes would start to drag the rotor, or hat inside the drum portion, if not used somewhat frequently. Had 126K miles on the original E-brake shoes.

Interested if the Ford symptoms are similar.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Failure to use the rear parking brake was an issue on the GM trucks I came from. I never had the issue because I used the parking brake every time I parked.

The issue from what I understood on the GM trucks was the parking brake shoes would start to drag the rotor, or hat inside the drum portion, if not used somewhat frequently. Had 126K miles on the original E-brake shoes.

Interested if the Ford symptoms are similar.
I had to replace the dust shield on my 04, 350. I'd bought the E brake shoes and was going to do the install when I realized it required pulling the axle.
Brought it down to the local diesel repair shop and they told me the dust shields were gone. Ford wanted $500 a side for parts alone which included shield and pads, no other options available from Ford. Shop was able to find the shields aftermarket for about $100 each.
Apparently Ford is doing this a lot more, grouping parts together as a unit and marking them up a lot. I fail to see why you would need to buy both items at the same time. E-bakes almost never wear. Mine did because the cable locked up and wore them down.
Down in Texas you'll probably never have to worry about this happening.

I'd like to hear what happened with the OP tranny problem, I wouldn't have noticed because when I'm on a hill I always use the E-brake. I'm going to check mine out for this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2011 tow package with 3.73....

It iced over here, my driveway is a very very slight incline, first time I had an issue was yesterday, I backed in, put it in park and it started "sliding" forward.....I kinda laughed, thinking it was that slick....backed in again trying to park where my truck had been before, where it shielded the drive from ice. No issue

Today same thing, but after I put it in park, when it started "sliding" I hit the brakes and it stopped....backed it up again put it in park, then opened the door to watch....front and rear wheels were rolling.....like the transmission wasn't actually in park. Backed up put it in park again and it didn't roll the third time. ...but I set parking brake after a minute just to be safe

When it rolled, it was slow, for reference, if it had been in neutral it would have rolled off faster than it was doing. Also, my engine was still running the whole time. ...I shut it off AFTER I put emergency brake on today

Any ideas guys? I just bought this truck 3 weeks ago and have had 0 issues so far and this confuses the hell outta me. I'd hate to imagine it rolling off somewhere after I park it
Id imagine the wheel you were not looking at was not rolling, since you prob do not have a locking rear diff and have it locked in at the time. Setting the e-brake locks both rear tires.

I would check it on no so slippry incline before bring it to dealer.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id imagine the wheel you were not looking at was not rolling, since you prob do not have a locking rear diff and have it locked in at the time. Setting the e-brake locks both rear tires.

I would check it on no so slippry incline before bring it to dealer.
Thank you! I have not had one other issue with it besides that, so I don't think I'm taking it in

Thanks for the advice guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts