F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on minimizing bounce on my travel trailer. This is the harmonic type bounce that only occurs on some concrete highways. Others are OK and pavement is always OK.

F150 Super Crew with 5.5' box (145" wheelbase)
Jay Flight Swift 267BH travel trailer
BlueOx Swaypro hitch with 1000# spring bars

Loaded trailer weight = 7040#
Tongue weight = 980# (14%)

I believe that I have my hitch set up properly. Trailer is flat and the rear of my truck sits down slightly. I can make it sit nearly identical to unloaded by picking up one more chain link but this does not seem to affect the highway bounce. One less does not help either. Running with no water in my fresh tank is best but still does not eliminate.

Not sure what this means but I weighted the axles while on my hitch, then again while on the trailer jack to see how much weight is being distributed back to the trailer:

Trailer axle weight on WDH = 6400#
Trailer axle weight on jack = 6060#

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you running Nitrogen in all wheels including trailer? Sounds like your trailer wheels maybe over inflated.

If you're not running Nitrogen in all wheels, you should consider it, many great things about doing simple Nitrogen in the wheels. I had so much bounce in the truck and 29' foot enclosed trailer and Lousiana roads are bad. Once I swithced over to Nitrogen and had a trip back to Lousiana I immediately noticed a better ride, almost not quite but significantly was able to smooth out the bouncing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Prior to purchasing our '13 EB and our '14 Cougar High Country 35' 5th wheel we relocated from Rohde Island to SW Florida with 30' TT loaded to the gills being towed by an '06 F150 FX4 145" WB. New to RV'ing I too purchased a similar setup that you have. For 1700 miles it bounced the beejeezus out of the truck and trailer no matter what adjustment I made with the leveling system. In 2012 we relocated to Santa Cruz, Ca due to my job. I made up my mind that I was going to try something different. I purchased a used Reese hitch setup that used the older style leveling bars that sit in cups on the hitch and are pinned to the trailer mount with chains (Craigslist $350). The trip was 3000 miles from point A to point B and about 90% of the bounce was gone. I am surprised there are not more complaints on the spring bar setup. If you think about it....The spring bars are exactly that, a spring, and your hitch ball acts as an excellent pivot point. If you know someone with an older setup ask them if you could try the setup. It will not take you long to see the difference....at least it didn't take me long. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thats good advice there Musik, you got a pic you can share what you mean by cup style as opposed to spring bar? How do you like living in the Weirdest Place on Earth? I miss my hometown of San Jose...and I miss the Santa Cruz Mountains. I'm sure you and the Mrs. have been to the Mystery Spot?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is the same exact set up I had for my hitch set up when I towed our TT. The difference between this and the spring bar set up I had was day and night. I dropped 4 links on the chains, cinched it up and the bounce was very minimal. p_swaycontrol.jpg I would connect the trailer then raise the trailer and the back of the truck with the jack, connect the chains and good to go. I would give it a try. So lets talk about Santa Cruz...............................I have lived from Northern New York (near the Canadian border) to Rohde Island and Massachusetts to SW Florida and now in Santa Cruz. Weirdest place on the freaking planet that is for sure. Between the millennium hippies, the bicyclists in their aero dynamic skin suits with more energy than 10 people, the homeless, the pan handlers, the 60 year old guys riding skate boards while carrying their surf boards......This is the most bizarre place I have ever encountered. We have not gotten warm since Florida. It was a wonderful trip across the country and California is an absolute beautiful state but I hope to relocate back to Florida through the company I work for. The other thing here is the cost of living is simply stupid. The average house goes for about $650K..........Stupid money. My wife and I are glad to be full timers and love every minute of it. Oh and by the way.....We live about 2 miles from the Mystery Spot........Another strange anomaly.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i am unfamiliar with that setup of trailer but alot of different things can effect bounce
1. are the tires heavy enough for that load (preferably 10 ply) and inflated properly
2. does it have a torsion spring suspension or shocks and are they in good working condition
either of these could be easily over looked if your new to towing this trailer.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have noticed that particularly in northern Wisconsin and the south west UP that it is the roads that cause the bounce. When I tow in that area I always ask my wife for an extra bra lol. It seems that the seams in the concrete are spaced so that the trailer tires hit the seams in between the truck tires causing the bouncing. I have noticed that adjusting my speed I can usually find a speed that minimizes the bounve but doesn't eliminate.

SPPD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts