F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first official post, but I have spent a great deal of time reading through this forum. Seems like a knowledgable group of people. I just got my first F-150, its a Tremor FX4, I used to drive a F350 with the infamous 6.0 Powerstroke.

Anyhow, I think I experienced the moisture/intercooler problem I've been reading about. I was driving through extreme rain (could only go about 30 mph on the highway, b/c visibility). After stopping and leaving the truck running, I tried to get back on the freeway and the truck shuddered and lagged like crazy. The check engine light was flashing on and off, for a couple of seconds, then stayed on for a couple more. I was only up to 50 mph when I hit the freeway (it had quit raining).
The Insight CTS read a code P0306, which I later read is a misfire in cyclinder 6 I believe?

Anyhow, I though that 2014 model year would have this problem fixed by now. Any one else have this problem on a 2014 ecoboost or a Tremor in particular? I will say, these were extreme conditions I was driving through.

I look forward to being a part of the forum. I plan on doing a lot of upgrades to the truck, so I will keep you posted. Thanks. Elliot.

I have driven through some torrential beach side rains in my Eco, and aside from crappy gas mileage no problems to speak of. I'm in a 2013, so our setups should be fairly similar. You may wan to look into a catch can if this is something you're worried about :)

Hey guys, this is my first official post, but I have spent a great deal of time reading through this forum. Seems like a knowledgable group of people. I just got my first F-150, its a Tremor FX4, I used to drive a F350 with the infamous 6.0 Powerstroke.

Anyhow, I think I experienced the moisture/intercooler problem I've been reading about. I was driving through extreme rain (could only go about 30 mph on the highway, b/c visibility). After stopping and leaving the truck running, I tried to get back on the freeway and the truck shuddered and lagged like crazy. ...
Eazy,

Let me lend a hand with this. Shoot me over a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see what's going on.

Ashley

This is disappointing. I would also think that after the third year of selling record numbers of a particular engine that most of the bugs would be worked out.

Unfortunately it could be many things, most of which are quick fixes (spark plugs, coil, injectors), but some more difficult to diagnose and fix (CPU, wiring harness, CAC, condensation injestion), although ford is getting pretty damn good at identifying and fixing the problems now. I changed my plugs and ordered a catch can to try to prolong the life of the engine.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Im not very interested in this idea in the near future, but just out of curiosity: would an aftermarket intercooler completely solve/eliminate this problem?

Are any of you other Tremor guys going to do more than just the usually bolt-ons, exhaust and tune? I've been day dreaming about an EFR single turbo... then I'd been getting that new intercooler.

Ashley, I will send you a PM. Thanks in advance!

Im not very interested in this idea in the near future, but just out of curiosity: would an aftermarket intercooler completely solve/eliminate this problem?

Are any of you other Tremor guys going to do more than just the usually bolt-ons, exhaust and tune? I've been day dreaming about an EFR single turbo... then I'd been getting that new intercooler.

Ashley, I will send you a PM. Thanks in advance!
I've never experienced it (the shudder) but I've been tuned since almost day 1. I now have an AMR intercooler but no catch can yet. Another member maid a claim that since installing his AMR the RX catch can hasn't caught anything.

I've never experienced it (the shudder) but I've been tuned since almost day 1. I now have an AMR intercooler but no catch can yet. Another member maid a claim that since installing his AMR the RX catch can hasn't caught anything.
What member? If installed correctly that would be physically impossible. Only by installing something incorrectly could that happen. The intercooler is after the PCV system mod and the RX can, so that could not be possible.....

When you installed the AMR intercooler, you had absolutely know oil or gunk in the stock one?

What member? If installed correctly that would be physically impossible. Only by installing something incorrectly could that happen. The intercooler is after the PCV system mod and the RX can, so that could not be possible.....

When you installed the AMR intercooler, you had absolutely know oil or gunk in the stock one?
OH yeah my stock intercooler had tons of gunk in it.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Denjolicoeur,
I'm still a little confused as to how all this oil/gunk gets into the intercooler. Are you referring to "oil blow-by", could someone please explain that a little more to me? I've never had a turbo gasser, just a powerstroke.

Also, has anyone experienced really high engine knock numbers? I have the Edge Insight, and have been monitoring knock 1 & 2 and the numbers vary from 40-90 at idle to over 300 when i'm laying into. I used to run 87, now I switched to 89 and still no difference.

Here is the best short explanation:

The standard PCV system uses the intake manifold vacuum as the suction source for this, but with any forced induction the intake manifold quickly becomes pressurized so with these, there is only evacuation taking place at idle, and very low RPM. 85-90% of the running time there is no evacuation taking place and all of these compounds are settling and accumulating in the crankcase and mixing with the oil. When crankcase pressure builds to a level high enough (a proper PCV system should always provide no or little pressure present....any pressure is bad for power, oil leaks, seal failures, etc.) it seeks the path of least resistance, and this is backwards out the fresh, or clean side of the PCV system which is into the drivers side turbo inlet pipe. These mix begins to condense as soon as it enters the pipe and can cause damage to the turbo cold side turbine blades, and further when it reaches the CAC (charge air cooler, or intercooler) it condenses completely and accumulates as a running "soap" like mix of these compounds where it stays until a sudden acceleration where sudden boost is made and is pushed into the intake manifold and further into the combustion chamber where at a minimum it blows out spark causing shudder and severe misfires, to in extreme cases, a hydrolock condition which causes catastrophic engine failure.

Anytime you have oil and other contaminates present in the combustion chamber (other than air/fuel) you will have greater incidence of knock. Especially oil vapors as they greatly reduce the usable octane.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Tuner Boost,
Thank you for the detailed response. So what do you think of those knock numbers? Are they reasonable? I thought they seemed way too high.

Does anyone run 91 on a stock ecoboost? That's what the dealership told me to do, because it "would help with the shudder and knock". I don't know, I'm new to this, I come from the diesel world.

I'm really looking forward to a CAI and tune but need to be confident in the motor in its stock form. Warranties are nice...

Discussion starter · #18 ·
So from what I've read catch cans are definitely a good thing for the health of the engine. But are they really necessary? For my personal situtation, I don't know how long I will have the truck. Hopefully for as long as possible, but having a regular cab has already been a pain.

Can I get some thoughts on catch cans?

I personally can't answer your questions. I don't have a lot of experience with these trucks either and still learning. I don't have a catch can yet but i'm told it's a good thing.

So from what I've read catch cans are definitely a good thing for the health of the engine. But are they really necessary? For my personal situtation, I don't know how long I will have the truck. Hopefully for as long as possible, but having a regular cab has already been a pain.

Can I get some thoughts on catch cans?
Have you read this entire thread?

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3030

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.