F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some tire suggestions I should use for my Tremor?

Stock tires are Scorpion STR. These are different from four door trucks that have the Scorpion ATR. The STR is a "premium highway" tire. I want to keep something similar.

My tires are getting low and the outside edge of the front tires are bald. I think I need to have alignment adjustment to angle the front wheel in a little. With so much body roll on a truck, it wears the outside considerably faster than the tire itself.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
What are some tire suggestions I should use for my Tremor?

Stock tires are Scorpion STR. These are different from four door trucks that have the Scorpion ATR. The STR is a "premium highway" tire. I want to keep something similar.

My tires are getting low and the outside edge of the front tires are bald. I think I need to have alignment adjustment to angle the front wheel in a little. With so much body roll on a truck, it wears the outside considerably faster than the tire itself.
I'm extremely happy with my Cooper Discoverer SRX. I consider them an "aggressive" all season... not to be confused with All Terrain.
Best tire I've ever used in the rain, they're wearing great, they're quiet and have excellent dry handling as well. I have winter tires for the cold season, so don't ask me about that.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I ended up going with the BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT which is a all weather tire and so far i have been really impressed with its road manners (way better than the hankooks the 18 came with). Time will tell if they do well in winter but i did gain a bit of mileage as well

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
275/55/20

Ratings:
STR - 520 A A, 39lbs, 2403lbs max load...the 520 rating make sense as I'm at 45k and these things are done as stated.
BFG T/A Sport LT - 740 B A, 40lbs, 2535lb max load
Cooper Discoverer SRX - 740 A A, 41lbs, 2833lb max load

Online prices
cooper - $180 a tire
BFG - $186
STR $185

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Best seller" on this particular website is Michelin Defender LTX M/S

$210/tire

800 A A, 39lbs

The BFG's stated above have a 50 dollar rebate right now ending tomorrow.

When is a good time to get deals on tires? Are holidays memorial , july 4th etc?

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
I love those Michelins and have had good luck with them on trucks since the early 90's.

Have no clue how they would be in snow since..... Well, Texas Gulf Coast.

I'll admit I have had a set or two of car tires that weren't impressive though.

However, if my memory serves, that tire has been thoroughly bashed around here by a few fellas, so maybe they aren't a consistent tire?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've got a $70cad rebate coming on the bfg's. The rebates seem to be seasonal from my tire days

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love those Michelins and have had good luck with them on trucks since the early 90's.

Have no clue how they would be in snow since..... Well, Texas Gulf Coast.

I'll admit I have had a set or two of car tires that weren't impressive though.

However, if my memory serves, that tire has been thoroughly bashed around here by a few fellas, so maybe they aren't a consistent tire?

Are you referring to the Michelin I posted? Bad reviews on here? I need to research more on comments on here. On paper, they look great.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Nothing wrong with the LTX M/S for what you need (probably will be best in the winter compared to the others), but will give up a little in dry handling department (more tread squirm).

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing wrong with the LTX M/S for what you need (probably will be best in the winter compared to the others), but will give up a little in dry handling department (more tread squirm).
I dont need that much winter tire, I would rather have more dry and rain performance, so what do you think? These things have a thread wear of 800 though, that seems worth it for a little more price.

I will check into these.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nitto is no snow

Here is the information I was provided, what does everyone think?

***Michelin Defender LTX M/S***

4.5 out of 5 WET

4.5 out of 5 DRY

4 out 5 in handling

4 out 5 in comfort

4 out 5 in quiet ride

5 out of 5 in winter

average life span of 72K miles.

***Cooper SRX***

WET 4.5 out of 5

Dry 4.5 out of 5

Handling 3.5 out of 5

Comfort 3.5 out of 5

Quiet Ride 3 out of 5

Winter 4 out 5

Average Lifespan 58K miles

***BFG ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT***

WET 4 out of 5

Dry 4.5 out of 5

Handling 2.5 out of 5

Comfort 3.5 out of 5

Quiet Ride 4 out of 5

Winter 5 out 5

Average Lifespan 60K miles

***NITTO NT420S***

WET 4.5 out of 5

Dry 4.5 out of 5

Handling 3.5 out of 5

Comfort 3.5 out of 5

Quiet Ride 3.5 out of 5

Winter 1 out 5

Average Lifespan 53K miles

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Thus why I love those Michelins.

Again, my great loyalty was due to their Load E tire, late 80's/early 90's(?), that revolutionized the ride and comfort of that era's 1 ton trucks. (F350 & E350) At the time they conquered the STIFF sidewall requirements to build a true load E tire. (softer) At the same time it increased the life expectancy, if you rotated and cared for them.

They also significantly raised the cost of a set of tires for your work truck. Lol

As that tire progressed in time they became available in sizes other than 16", but it took a while. I bought a King Ranch F350 in 2004 and it came with 18" rims with Goodyears. At about 15,000 miles they were loud and wearing unevenly. (cupping too) I was shocked when I went to my trusty Discount Tire guy and he said sorry, not available for those rims. I bought 16" Ford OEM rims on Ebay and fetched me a set of my favored tires. THAT was how a $52,000 truck was supposed to ride!

Now, having said all that, my 2012 F150 came with Michelins, but the load C version. I got great wear and ride out of them but they were a different "version". (I can't exactly recollect but they were a bit cheaper) I put a set of the latest and greatest on it and they are still on it to this day.

In ½ton trucks there is a lot more tire competition and I don't think I would claim that Michelin has any "gap" between them and the others, like I believe they did 25-30 years ago. But I don't think they have stopped making a great tire for a truck that is on-tarmac and in warmer climate.

You guys in real winter conditions and off road conditions would know a ton about tires that I haven't even been exposed to.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Nitto is no snow

Here is the information I was provided, what does everyone think?

***Michelin Defender LTX M/S***

4.5 out of 5 WET

4.5 out of 5 DRY

4 out 5 in handling

4 out 5 in comfort

4 out 5 in quiet ride

5 out of 5 in winter

average life span of 72K miles.

***Cooper SRX***

WET 4.5 out of 5

Dry 4.5 out of 5

Handling 3.5 out of 5

Comfort 3.5 out of 5

Quiet Ride 3 out of 5

Winter 4 out 5

Average Lifespan 58K miles

***BFG ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT***

WET 4 out of 5

Dry 4.5 out of 5

Handling 2.5 out of 5

Comfort 3.5 out of 5

Quiet Ride 4 out of 5

Winter 5 out 5

Average Lifespan 60K miles

***NITTO NT420S***

WET 4.5 out of 5

Dry 4.5 out of 5

Handling 3.5 out of 5

Comfort 3.5 out of 5

Quiet Ride 3.5 out of 5

Winter 1 out 5

Average Lifespan 53K miles
I dunno if the ratings you got are average consumer, or some company's ratings, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. The tire compound, sidewall construction and other specs will differ depending on size...

I will speak from experience in regards to the Cooper size 285/45R22)vs the Michelin size 275/55R20 on a Co-worker's F150 (the LTX M/S was a consideration for my 22", but the load rating was less than I wanted, as my OEM pirellis had a 111 load rating).

- The Cooper SRX will win on dry handling all day (better stability, quicker steering response due to lack of tread squirm), I vote 4.5 for Cooper, 3.5 Michelin
- Quietness is very good for both, 4.5 for both, 5.0 if you compare to any A/T
-- Wet handling is also good for both, but the edge goes to the Cooper in regards to resistance to aquaplaning in standing water during downpours. Like I said before, this is the best wet driving tire I've experienced... Period. 5.0 for Cooper, 4.5 Michelin
- Comfort goes to the Michelin by a narrow margin due to a more compliant sidewall, (the Cooper is XL rated, and my 22" have less sidewalll than 20") 4.2 vs 5.0

As far as winter driving in actual winter climate (snow, slush, ice), no all season tire gets higher than 3.5 in my mind, although both have a good amount of siping.
I think the edge would go for the Michelin in this department though.

If you like to push a little in the corners, and don't want your tires to feather the edges while doing it, the Coopers are the winner... I sure will buy another set when these wear out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for that explanation.

I think I will go with the Michelin, why? I just found out Costco is doing instant $70 rebate on Michelin and if you pay with Costco credit card, you get another $60 gift card in the mail too!

I will let you all know.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
The good news is that today's 2nd or 3rd or even 10th best tire is YEARS better than the best tires of yesterdecade! Lol

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts