F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been drinving a Chev Silverado, 5.3 with a 3.42 gear ratio. When I pull our travel trailer (6,000 #, 9 ft. flat front) I only get 9 mpg. Thinking about a Ford ecoboost 6, with 3.3 gear ratio. How much? Will I get better mpg?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey Welcome! You should see a increase of a couple of MPG in comparison (loaded/towing). The EcoBoost has massive low end TQ and will get the trailer moving fast with less effort. That will be the big difference you noticed next to the fact that it will lug the two overdrive gears all day long (5th and 6th gear) when towing saving on the fuel.
I have the taller 3.73 rear end and often tow either a 27' enclosed trailer (V-Nose), 18' enclosed trailer (Flat nose) and/or a 20' flat deck and the weight ranged from 8,000lbs to 11,000lbs and I average low-mid teens in the two enclosed trailers (8,000lbs or less) and with flat deck (11,000lbs) about 9.5mpg to 11mpg (speed 60-70mph). Granted in Alaska there are not many flat roads and towing is up and over hills and thru long twisty passes. The folks with 3.31 and 3.55 rear ends still do just as well and often better on MPG, especially empty and down on the real highways!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Welcome! You should see a increase of a couple of MPG in comparison (loaded/towing). The EcoBoost has massive low end TQ and will get the trailer moving fast with less effort. That will be the big difference you noticed next to the fact that it will lug the two overdrive gears all day long (5th and 6th gear) when towing saving on the fuel.
I have the taller 3.73 rear end and often tow either a 27' enclosed trailer (V-Nose), 18' enclosed trailer (Flat nose) and/or a 20' flat deck and the weight ranged from 8,000lbs to 11,000lbs and I average low-mid teens in the two enclosed trailers (8,000lbs or less) and with flat deck (11,000lbs) about 9.5mpg to 11mpg (speed 60-70mph). Granted in Alaska there are not many flat roads and towing is up and over hills and thru long twisty passes. The folks with 3.31 and 3.55 rear ends still do just as well and often better on MPG, especially empty and down on the real highways!
What rear end gear ratio do you have?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I got about 9.5 today towing ten 48x48 wooden bins and 100 48x48 pallets on fairly flat ground today. The biggest issue was the lack of aerodynamics. It was still a little better than it would have been in my old truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Raiderfan1890
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing