F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my fuel injectors and can't figure out the trick to remove the fuel rails and the wiring harnesses on the fuel injectors. It's a 2012 and no matter how I position the wires or fuel rail I can't get them to come out. I've tried unplugging the first injector but have failed at getting the plug off. I can't believe how tight they have everything crammed in the little gap. I've found a couple of videos and threads that mention doing it is tricky and a pain but offered no detail. the shop manual offers no insight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes it is very difficult. You need to get all of the pugs off the injectors first. That is a trick in itself. I used an Allen wrench to reach in and depress the clip and a flat screw driver to pry at same time. It is ridiculous and frustrating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Once you have all the plugs off you remove the wiring harness from the rail and then you can wiggle the rails out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I spent several hours trying to figure it out. I couldn’t figure out how to get the plugs off. Tried screw driver and a pick with no success. I’ll try again tonight with the Allen wrench. I figured it had to be unplugged first. In my frustration I ordered a new wiring harnesses for each side in case I damaged one getting it out. They were only $20 each +shipping so I planned on cutting them out once I verified they were the correct harnesses. A little extreme but my frustration level was a little above normal. Is the reassembly any easier as long as you keep things tight? I assume you work from the firewall to the front? Thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
No because I have not got my injectors out. They are stuck in there. So I am a ways away from putting it back together.

·
Registered
2013 F150 Screw 3.5L Ecoboost Oxford White
165 Posts
No because I have not got my injectors out. They are stuck in there. So I am a ways away from putting it back together.
Did you get a slide hammer? You guys are making me really glad that the dealership is doing mine. I knew they were going to be trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The slide hammer and tool cost from what i've seen is about $200 so I'm hoping I can get mine out without it. I would still like to hear from anyone that has had a successful reinstall.

·
Registered
2013 F150 Screw 3.5L Ecoboost Oxford White
165 Posts
Do you have Autozone in your area? Or any auto parts stores that do loaner tools? You should be able to get a slide hammer from them as a loaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have the slide hammer but not the fancy "tweezer/wheel puller" tool that fits under the injector flange to pull it out. I'll for sure call around my area to see if anyone has a loaner before I buy one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to do the head on my 2011. I could not get the injectors out even with the head on a bench. I sent it to the machine shop and they got them out.(do not know how) But when i reassembled the head the o-rings leaked so i had to take them out and reinstall them. getting them out was difficult i just needed to unclip the harness from both rails move one out of the way and wiggle the other past. It definitely a pain, reinstalling was not as bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts