F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the world of trucks, so please take it easy on me. I picked up a 2014 Lariat EB V6 recently. I am currently averaging about 14.9 mpg. I would like to get this as high as possible, was hoping more for 19ish. From what I have read on other threads; newer trucks and cold weather are going to play a roll in keeping the mpg's down. (I live in Michigan) Are there any other adjustments I can make to increase my mpg's? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Keep your foot out of it. Otherwise wait for it to break in, use good gas, good air in the tires, drive on non windy days, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
From what I have learned the winter gas blend does no favors for fuel economy. The lower the RPM's the better but you can only baby it so much before you are a road hazard. Also, it supposed to get better as it is broken in. Wind, climbing hills, towing, 4WD are all detrimental to fuel consumption. I know this helps probably not in the least but there it is. Not sure if any of the performance upgrades make a difference or not. Seems like the only way to make these beasts more fuel friendly would be to lighten the load....

2013 FX4 Sterling Gray, 3.55 gears, Rino liner, Bed extender - bone stock -for now......

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Michigander. Fuel usage in winter is worse. It will increase when it warms up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome from Dearborn! I'm currently averaging 16.4. I bought my truck used in mid January with 16,4xx on it and currently have 19,3xx so in 3,000mi I've averaged 16.4. My best tank so far was 17.3 and that was probably 70% highway during that brief warm up we had a few weeks ago

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
I floor it as much as possible. It gets me terrible mileage.

Don't do that.
haha! I have that battle with myself daily telling myself to stay away from the peddle and then....... I am flooring it

Reactions: Vcast

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Drive slow. No Jack Rabbit starts. Keep it under 2K RPM when accelerating. Decrease idle time. Find a good gas station that uses a good fuel distributor (myth?). When coming to a light that looks like it might change, start coasting. Coast as much as possible. Use cruise control. Remember, these trucks start to make boost at 12-1500 RPM, so the more you push on the throttle, the more those turbos are going to spool. Staying out of boost isn't fun, but gives you the best mileage.

My best fuel mileage so far is 22.5 MPG (tracked with an app on my phone) and 24.6 MPG using the lie-o-meter on a short 50 mile run, going with the speed limit of 55/65. It is possible to get high mileage.

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
Find a good gas station that uses a good fuel distributor (myth?).
Also, NEVER fill up your gas tank when the fuel truck is there.
If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.
Tips on Pumping Gas - Urban Legends

I don't agree with all of these...but number 2, Definitely

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Drive slow. No Jack Rabbit starts. Keep it under 2K RPM when accelerating. Decrease idle time. Find a good gas station that uses a good fuel distributor (myth?). When coming to a light that looks like it might change, start coasting. Coast as much as possible. Use cruise control. Remember, these trucks start to make boost at 12-1500 RPM, so the more you push on the throttle, the more those turbos are going to spool. Staying out of boost isn't fun, but gives you the best mileage. My best fuel mileage so far is 22.5 MPG (tracked with an app on my phone) and 24.6 MPG using the lie-o-meter on a short 50 mile run, going with the speed limit of 55/65. It is possible to get high mileage.
what app do you have?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts