F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting 16.1 avg mpg according to the trip computer but the instant meter says 15.1? What's the difference. Can anyone explain them to me?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the instant mileage display screen shows the trip A average. Are you comparing to trip A or B? If B, that could be the reason for the difference.

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the instant mileage display screen shows the trip A average. Are you comparing to trip A or B? If B, that could be the reason for the difference.

No it's trip A

·
Registered
537 Posts
My instant does not agree with either A or B. On the instant you can set up to use fuel readings for different time periods such as 5 minutes, 10 minute, 30 minute average. Where as the A or B will use actual calculations based on the last time reset overall.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Instant will be the most current manner of driving and dependent on the traffic conditions you have most recently been in. A or B will be the most accurate for that period since last set, such as if you are like me and reset both A and B with every fill of the tank. I currently have my A and B set at different beginning points as I am trying to track the MPG of stock vs AFE Scorcher installed on an average.

Currently it shows to be about .4mpg lower with the Scorcher installed, but it would also seem that the weight of my right foot may have gained some unexpected weight accounting for the creation of more boost delivery.

If you care to do the calculations by hand with you fill up dividing the miles driven by the gallons pumped in to the tank chances are you will come up with another average all together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My instant fuel mileage screen has a few different options. on the left I have the green bar that goes up and down and shows what your getting at that instant. You can change that to show you the last 5, 10, or 30 min. I leave it on the instant so i can try and keep my mpg up. On that same screen though it has a digital number. Which is not a reflection of either trip A or trip B. I reset mine when i pulled it off the dealers lot (bought it used, it was reading around 14.1) so i believe it to basically be a trip C, and its from the last time you reset it. My plan is to never reset it, so it would show the mpg of the life of the truck (or in my case since i have owned it since i bought it used)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ah, now I see why I was confused... I haven't reset trip A or my instant average screen since I bought my truck a couple of weeks ago (didn't realize I could do that). So they were both giving me the same number.

This forum is great! I learn something every time I log on :)

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Trip A, trip B, and instant avg can all be reset individually. Each will display the avg since each was last reset.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
In my opinion the longer you don't reset your trip meter the more accurate you can tell someone what your computer says your MPG is. My trip B meter says I have just past using 1000 gallons of gas and I'm averaging 16.8 MPG. That's almost 2 years of driving. This way no one can say that's a lot of highway driving or something. It would be every kind of driving. I drive 50/50 city/highway and like to use the right pedal. If I reset the instant and get on a highway , I average 25 MPG for like the first 20 to 30 minutes. So I wouldn't tell someone I get 25 MPG. If I reset instant and stay in the city it will read 12 MPG. Again not really accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts