F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post found here http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...-do-i-want-drive-wimp-beast-what-dilemma.html I promised to document my fuel mileage on a round trip from Northern Virginia to New Orleans. Here are some details of the trip:

2011 2WD, Max Tow, 3.73 gears, just under 6k lbs vehicle weight
MPG data was recorded using the trip odometer - photos of the screens available if desired
Ambient air temps were recorded using the temp display in the dash
OBDLink LX Bluetooth module
Torque Pro Android app on a Kyocera Hydro phone
All fuel used during the trip was 87 octane with 10% ethanol

Each data segment will be posted in a separate post to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
5* 87 Economy Tune Part 1

The first measured leg was 218.1 miles. I left the house with the ambient air temp at 16F and the highest ambient temp was 36F. By the way, I run boost bars in the lower grill opening and the IATs ran about .6 to 2 degrees below ambient for the whole trip.

This first segment was run at a steady speed of 75 mph with an average speed of 68.58 mph. The avg mpg was 16.7. This is in fairly hilly conditions. The economy tune seemed to struggle on the hills. The cold temps and pretty good head wind may have contributed to the low mpg. However this is far below what I was expecting.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5* 87 Economy Tune, Part 2

This leg measured 283.1 miles. Ambient air temp was a steady 36F. This segment I decided to run at a steady 70 mph to see if speed made a difference. Hills were similar to the first segment. Avg mpg improved to 17.5 at an overall avg speed of 67.72 mph.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5* 87 Economy Tune, Overall

After segment 2, I ran a consistent 5 mph over the limit with the bulk of the remaining leg at 75 mph. At this point the terrain had decreased with the last 100 miles being fairly flat. The ambient air temp for the final 577.7 miles started out at 25F and increased throughout the day to 65F. Avg mpg for the ENTIRE trip of 1078.9 miles ended up at 17.6 mpg with an overall avg speed of 66.68 mph.

Again, the economy tune just didn't feel good for highway driving. On the upside of hills the fact that the tranny wouldn't downshift early required the turbos to kick in way early. I'm sure the mpg for the economy tune would be better in city driving.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
5* 87 Perf/Tow, Part 1

Before returning to Virginia from New Orleans I loaded the 87 perf/tow tune. I also had an extra 350 lbs of wife and cargo (not saying what the distribution was). Terrain ranged from flat to moderate hilly since we stopped just north of Knoxville, TN. Again almost all of the return trip was Interstate.

I decided to not lower my speed during segments - I just ran 5 mph over the limit. Here is where I was surprised. At an average speed of 69.30 mph (mostly 75 mph) over 606.4 miles, the avg mpg was 19.8! The ambient air temp was a steady 63F.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5* 87 Perf/Tow, Part 2

The second leg of the trip, 456.3 miles, was mostly hilly with some pretty good uphill runs. Ambient air temp was a stead 45F for this entire leg. Again we ran 5 mph over the speed limit for an avg mph of 70.74 mph. Avg mpg dropped a little to 19.1 mpg.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5* 87 Perf/Tow Overall

The return trip ended up being 1062.8 miles at an avg speed of 68.56 mph. The avg mpg for the ENTIRE return trip was 19.5 mpg, Almost 2 mpg HIGHER than the economy tune!

The perf/tow tune is amazing. Shifting is seamless, almost like a CVT tranny. Throttle response is instantaneous and the few times I had to jump on the gas the turbos kicked in nicely. On two occasions I had the boos hit 14+ psi.

This tune will be my permanent setup for now on. Next week we pick up a 30' travel trailer that will weigh about 7,500 lbs loaded. I can't wait to see how the tune performs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Amazing information! I really appreciate people like you who take the time to do something like this.

But wait, your perf/tow tune actually got better MPG than the first tune, the one dedicated to MPG?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But wait, your perf/tow tune actually got better MPG than the first tune, the one dedicated to MPG?
Yep! That is what was surprising. But when you look at the intent of the economy tune (at least what I perceive the intent to be), it kind of makes sense. I think the economy tune was designed for city driving when the tendency is stop and go driving where jack rabbit starts will kill the mpg in a turbo vehicle. Again, I'm not so sure the economy tune is designed for long runs uphill at high speed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Owed tunes will get better mpg. As long as you stay off the skinny pedal. Drive moderate and get better tunes. I also think from what I've researched the economy tunes are better around town maybe or under like 60ish. Anyone agree or disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good illustration of how higher boost is able to better maintain desired speed with less pedal input required. I recently tested and confirmed that I can get almost 2 mpg better tuned vs. stock. Also, in my moderately hilly terrain, using cruise control is detrimental to fuel economy. I get better mpg watching the green bar and being judicious with my right foot than if I set and forget on cruise control.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Great info. Thanks for taking the time/effort. Guess the Econ tunes are always the best for MPG.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also think from what I've researched the economy tunes are better around town maybe or under like 60ish. Anyone agree or disagree?
Based on my data I would say this could be true. You saw what a simple 5 mph reduction in speed did for the economy tune. I would have tried an even lower speed to see what happened but you will get killed on I-81 driving less than 70.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great info. Thanks for taking the time/effort. Guess the Econ tunes are always the best for MPG.
Actually in my case, I proved opposite.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good illustration of how higher boost is able to better maintain desired speed with less pedal input required. I recently tested and confirmed that I can get almost 2 mpg better tuned vs. stock. Also, in my moderately hilly terrain, using cruise control is detrimental to fuel economy. I get better mpg watching the green bar and being judicious with my right foot than if I set and forget on cruise control.

You are probably correct but all of my driving was done with cruise control activated. The truck never dropped more than 1 mph when starting up a hill but you could see about 2-3 psi of boost to maintain the initial climb, then the turbos would drop back out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You are probably correct but all of my driving was done with cruise control activated. The truck never dropped more than 1 mph when starting up a hill but you could see about 2-3 psi of boost to maintain the initial climb, then the turbos would drop back out.
The CC on these trucks is very effective, and uses engine braking to maintain downhill speed. When I try to extract maximum fuel efficiency, I try to get as much coasting downhill as possible.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
One thing that I do, is when I'm going to go downhill I put it in manual mode rather than keep canceling cc

Boost safe Boost hard eH

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good points on the downhill strategy. I kept my eye glued to the green bar and it was usually maxed out going downhill, although you could feel some engine braking which costs mpg.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Well not necessarily. There is a hypermiling link that explains why it's better to engine brake going downhill. When in gear downhill above a certain RPM the fuel cuts out and you don't use any fuel at all.

Boost safe Boost hard eH

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well not necessarily. There is a hypermiling link that explains why it's better to engine brake going downhill. When in gear downhill above a certain RPM the fuel cuts out and you don't use any fuel at all.

Boost safe Boost hard eH
I think what you're referring to has to do with switching into neutral vs. letting the engine coast. I know for a fact my mileage is better when CC is off on hills and valleys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts