F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Screw.

It has only just gotten to the point here with really cool mornings and a lot of dew build up on the vehicles.

Like the thread title says, it cuts out stumbles after braking at the stop sign. It has done this twice with in 3 days and only happens once in the same spot each morning.

Did the 2011 have a recall for inter cooler issues?

No codes or engine light.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How long after initial engine start are you making the stop and incurring the problem? What's the elapsed time?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less than 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you have the same problem in rain, or just when it is cool and damp?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never driven in the rain with it yet. So it has only been when cool and damp humid.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The 11s were susceptible to the intercooler problems. I would suggest you take it in and see if your vehicle falls into any of the tsbs for intercooler replacement.

Keep us posted.

SPPD

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drive it in the rain today and didn't experience this cut out at all. Strange!

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Warm up mode? Is that a turbo specific deal?

Never had a vehicle with a warm up mode. Had a few dodge 2.2 turbos and couple V6 cars that never had a warm up?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mine seems to act a little sluggish occasionally within the first couple minutes of run time. Could be still in open loop before the cats are hot enough and all the other parameters are meet for closed loop PCM operation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Warm up mode? Is that a turbo specific deal? Never had a vehicle with a warm up mode. Had a few dodge 2.2 turbos and couple V6 cars that never had a warm up?
When you start your truck/ car it has a higher idle then normal. That's when it's warming up to operating temp. When it's in this mode and you try to drive it sometimes will confuse the computer because you were just driving then all of a sudden you come back to a stop and it's all like " oh wait your not up to temp lets rev up" that could be what's causing the hick ups in the idle. Technology has come a long way but think of it like a carburetor with a electronic choke. If it's not totally ready it will idle and act funny.

As far as any issues with the innercooler I don't think it would be that. The issues with those is that they build up water do to condensation over the course of driving in humid conditions. It's very unlikely that that could produce that much water in 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I let it sit awhile longer like instead of start it and put it in reverse I waited about a minute to let it warm up an it did seem better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I let it sit awhile longer like instead of start it and put it in reverse I waited about a minute to let it warm up an it did seem better.
If you let it warm for at least 5 minutes you shouldn't have any issues. Once it's idle is around 600-700 rpms then your ready to go. Unless it flat out dies or rpms drop so low that it seems like it's going to die its just the computer finding what idle you should be at for the engine temp that it's currently at. You shouldn't have anything to worry about with it. But it's good to let it warm for a little bit just to get all the fluids warm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you let it warm for at least 5 minutes you shouldn't have any issues. Once it's idle is around 600-700 rpms then your ready to go. Unless it flat out dies or rpms drop so low that it seems like it's going to die its just the computer finding what idle you should be at for the engine temp that it's currently at. You shouldn't have anything to worry about with it. But it's good to let it warm for a little bit just to get all the fluids warm.
I get what you are saying, but should he have to do that? Isn't something wrong somewhere that is causing it to act that way? Something needs to be tweaked? I don't let mine warm-up, granted, it's only been in the 40's or low 50's a couple times around here. But if my truck was doing that, I would take it in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I get what you are saying, but should he have to do that? Isn't something wrong somewhere that is causing it to act that way? Something needs to be tweaked? I don't let mine warm-up, granted, it's only been in the 40's or low 50's a couple times around here. But if my truck was doing that, I would take it in.
I'm only able to go off what's on the thread but with what's described I don't think so. I have a 2011 also and if I don't warm it and just jump in and drive the idle will jump around a bit for a few seconds until it finds itself.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Let it idle for at least 30 seconds if it's the first start of the day. I hear modern engines don't need to be 'warmed up', but look into it, I'm pretty sure 30 seconds to a minute is recommended.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts