F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
622 Posts
What year are you thinking?
I’m not actually going to sell my truck, but for the price of it, I could have a 2021 WRX and have a few thousand left.
But, I do kinda want a WRX in a few years as a second car. I’m thinking maybe an older one, like maybe a 2010 hatchback. My buddy has one and it’s got 340hp to the wheels on 22psi and runs 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. It hauls butt

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m not actually going to sell my truck, but for the price of it, I could have a 2021 WRX and have a few thousand left.
But, I do kinda want a WRX in a few years as a second car. I’m thinking maybe an older one, like maybe a 2010 hatchback. My buddy has one and it’s got 340hp to the wheels on 22psi and runs 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. It hauls butt
They can be quick for sure. They are very light. I had a 2007 Legacy GT spec B, which is the same motor as the WRX up to 2014. I never really liked that car. It was full turbo back, tune, etc and was making like 300 rwhp i think, so it was decently quick, but I hated the way it delivered the power.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
622 Posts
They can be quick for sure. They are very light. I had a 2007 Legacy GT spec B, which is the same motor as the WRX up to 2014. I never really liked that car. It was full turbo back, tune, etc and was making like 300 rwhp i think, so it was decently quick, but I hated the way it delivered the power.
Sounds cool... was it super delayed? Like laggy? I like the way the WRX delivers power, it delivers it higher in the rpm range. We are spoiled with low end torque on these trucks, but they pretty much suck on top end.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sounds cool... was it super delayed? Like laggy? I like the way the WRX delivers power, it delivers it higher in the rpm range. We are spoiled with low end torque on these trucks, but they pretty much suck on top end.
It was gutless below 3000 rpm. The turbo didnt do anything until probably 2500 and didn't really light off until 3000. And then by 5500 it was out of steam. So the power band was very narrow. Not like our Ecoboosts where they can deliver power from 1500 to 5000 rpm. A bigger turbo, which I assume your buddy has to be able to make 340 whp, probably helps with the drop off up top.

I had come from a 2006 Pontiac GTO with the LS2 as well as a Trailblazer SS with the LS2. Those were instant power all the time and just couldnt get used to the turbo lag and the waiting.

I havent driven the 2015+ WRX with the direct injected 2.0L but I bet its a lot more like the Ecoboost in that it has some solid low end.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It was gutless below 3000 rpm. The turbo didnt do anything until probably 2500 and didn't really light off until 3000. And then by 5500 it was out of steam. So the power band was very narrow. Not like our Ecoboosts where they can deliver power from 1500 to 5000 rpm. A bigger turbo, which I assume your buddy has to be able to make 340 whp, probably helps with the drop off up top.

I had come from a 2006 Pontiac GTO with the LS2 as well as a Trailblazer SS with the LS2. Those were instant power all the time and just couldnt get used to the turbo lag and the waiting.

I havent driven the 2015+ WRX with the direct injected 2.0L but I bet its a lot more like the Ecoboost in that it has some solid low end.
Yeah, it was an STI turbo. Yeah, there’s some tuning that has to be done to mitigate that “no low end power” thing.
I haven’t Driven a 2015+ but I rode in a 2021 wrx and it felt fast!

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah, it was an STI turbo. Yeah, there’s some tuning that has to be done to mitigate that “no low end power” thing.
I haven’t Driven a 2015+ but I rode in a 2021 wrx and it felt fast!
Mine was tuned by Bren Tuning which I thought was one of the most reputable Subaru tuners out there. I have not payed attention to the Subaru world since I sold that thing though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Mine was tuned by Bren Tuning which I thought was one of the most reputable Subaru tuners out there. I have not payed attention to the Subaru world since I sold that thing though.
Hmm, well, I’m seeing people love to put giant turbos in these, but like you said, it’s gutless on low end, but, that’s what I have my truck for haha. WRX isn’t meant to pull a camper that’s for sure, but I get what you mean. We’ll see, I’m really wanting to get one and do a build out of it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts