F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 ecoboost and am having problems with a studder on acceleration. I have changed the spark plugs and I have put a new turbo on and it still studders. It only does it when the truck is really warm that I have noticed. On colder mornings it doesn't do it. I'm trying to figure out what it could be.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,388 Posts
I have a 2012 ecoboost and am having problems with a studder on acceleration. I have changed the spark plugs and I have put a new turbo on and it still studders. It only does it when the truck is really warm that I have noticed. On colder mornings it doesn't do it. I'm trying to figure out what it could be.
Well, I’ll give it my best go.

Studder can be caused by condensation in the intercooler.
But before I go any further, Is your truck 100% stock? No catch cans? Intake etc?
It also could be the boots on your coil packs, or a coil pack itself.
How often do you change your oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I’ll give it my best go.

Studder can be caused by condensation in the intercooler.
But before I go any further, Is your truck 100% stock? No catch cans? Intake etc?
It also could be the boots on your coil packs, or a coil pack itself.
How often do you change your oil?
Yes my truck is 100% stock. I have had nothing done to it. My oil gets changed every 3k at the dealership. I didn't change my coils or anything when I changed my spark plugs.
Should I have replaced them when I did my plugs?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,388 Posts
Yes my truck is 100% stock. I have had nothing done to it. My oil gets changed every 3k at the dealership. I didn't change my coils or anything when I changed my spark plugs.
Should I have replaced them when I did my plugs?
Ok great. Mmm, usually people don’t. I never do. But if you’re having stuttering issues you could replace them with some OEM ones (arguably the best) and see if that makes a difference. If not, I’d look into the condensation in the intercooler problem.

Reactions: stereotype one

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Was the old turbo actually bad or ?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Ok great. Mmm, usually people don’t. I never do. But if you’re having stuttering issues you could replace them with some OEM ones (arguably the best) and see if that makes a difference. If not, I’d look into the condensation in the intercooler problem.
Definitely leaning toward condensation.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
And how do I fix that problem?
You can drill a weephole. Youtube is your friend or on here somewhere.
I had the issue once when I got my pickup. WOT runs until the speed limiter shuts it down fixed mine. You will get a wrench light. Pull over, shut engine off, restart, do it again until no more wrench light. I am stock except for suspension and I haven't had issues since.
You should be sure your rig is in good shape with oil and coolant topped off first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts