F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first ever F150 a couple of weeks ago...love the truck, but not a fan of the rake nor the stance, so I researched and found, at Stage 3 Motorsports, what I hope is a good solution for looks and performance -- It's a Bilstein 6112 strut and 5160 shock package. Unfortunately the shocks are backordered, but the struts went in the other day, and I can already tell the handling and ride are gonna be awesome when the set is complete.

Day 1 - Seatte

Day 15 -- NW Montana -- Post Install of Bilstein 6112 Struts -- Actually LOOKS like a truck now!

(please excuse the dusty tires...MT back roads...)

My original plan was to get the same 20" wheels that @TOWMA8R has on his rig, and in fact found them at a discount and ordered them, but, alas, they too are backordered, and according to Vorsteiner N.A., there is no ETA on future production although the rep thought maybe 90 to 120 days.

I'm WAY too impatient for that, so I canceled the order, and am going to Plan B: Keep the 18's (I do like their looks), add Bora 1.5" spacers to get the tires flush, and put either Falken Wildpeak AT3, GY UltraTerrain, or Nitto Ridge Grappler on in a 33" size. I had hoped to keep the tires P metric but it seems like 18" 33's are all LT. If anyone has some input/experience with these choices, or a recommendation of another, please chime in!

The BORA spacers should be here next week (note that "impatient" remark above), so I'm going to order tires in the next day or two. Once they're on, I'll post pics.

Future Plans So Far:
  • Install the rear shocks when they arrive
  • Matching Tint Windows
  • Grille Replacement
  • Tonneau or Canopy
  • Tailgate Shock (OEM - tucked into passenger tail light)
  • Headlight Upgrade

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
What a bummer on the wheels man....... Lol, you are like me, I can't wait for anything either....... And I agree, the OEM wheels are good looking, With tires and spacers they will look great. There is a truck like yours with the OEM and larger tires with spacers floating around, let me see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
No spacers, but leveled and 35's on those rims.

It's the "hers" of His & Hers

His has custom wheel spacers, but as thin as possible to get Brembo Caliper clearance on OEM rims.

Some of Fords OEM rims are actually good looking stuff, in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice looking truck. I just bought the same F-150 but in black. I have the same plans to add spacers and 33” tires. I thought I had seen there were 3 non LT rated tires but I’ll have to research.

I’d also like to do a grill swap for an STX grill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While not really part of the "truck" build, I've got an update to the whole package...

2020 Lance 2285 ("Traylor Swift")...which leads me to a request from you all for help deciding what to do re:rear suspension.

I had ordered a coilover kit (Bilstein 6112 strut / 5160 rear), and received the struts, and installed (above), but I'm STILL waiting on the rears to be shipped. Stage 3, when I purchased mid-August, said it wouldn't be long, however now they're saying Ocotber-ish...:poop:

I towed the trailer 3 hours back to home base yesterday, over some hilly, windy, 2-lane roads, and while the trailer hauled beautifully, the rear suspension felt squishy, so I know I want to do SOMETHING to improve ride/handling while towing without destroying ride as a DD. I really want the 5116's, but I can't wait forever to get them and have to tow the trailer back over the Cascades in a couple of weeks, so would like a solution before then...should I just go with 5100's on the rear? Anyone with experience towing with that setup? What about considering a different manufacturer for piggyback style rears?

New LT/E rated Ultraterrains will go on next week, so that may take some of the squish out of the rear as well...we shall see.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
That is a bummer!

Those new shocks will make a huge difference in the way that trailer tows over road imperfections.

You COULD order some less expensive rear shocks to balance the rear while you wait? Bilstein 5100 are actually very reasonable and the valving probably matches pretty well.

You can install them in your driveway in minutes. Very easy.

Or..... Wait. Lol

Reactions: Doublewide

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
5100’s will not disappoint. A majority of people on here run them front and back. Also the price to performance is phenomenal.

You just have to be careful on certain model shocks as most pertain to onroad/Offroad comfort rather than towing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I don't expect that the 5160's (or similar) will be GREAT for towing, but I gotta believe they'd be better than OEM (and awesome for the times I need offroad type suspension). I currently drive dirt roads daily, and the washboard makes the rear end obnoxiously bad, so anything should be better.

I'll talk to Stage 3 about 5100's as a stopgap, and give those a try.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
I assure you that for both off road AND towing, either of those rear shock models will be a very noticeable improvement.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
317 Posts
While not really part of the "truck" build, I've got an update to the whole package...

View attachment 168200

2020 Lance 2285 ("Traylor Swift")...which leads me to a request from you all for help deciding what to do re:rear suspension.

I had ordered a coilover kit (Bilstein 6112 strut / 5160 rear), and received the struts, and installed (above), but I'm STILL waiting on the rears to be shipped. Stage 3, when I purchased mid-August, said it wouldn't be long, however now they're saying Ocotber-ish...:poop:

I towed the trailer 3 hours back to home base yesterday, over some hilly, windy, 2-lane roads, and while the trailer hauled beautifully, the rear suspension felt squishy, so I know I want to do SOMETHING to improve ride/handling while towing without destroying ride as a DD. I really want the 5116's, but I can't wait forever to get them and have to tow the trailer back over the Cascades in a couple of weeks, so would like a solution before then...should I just go with 5100's on the rear? Anyone with experience towing with that setup? What about considering a different manufacturer for piggyback style rears?

New LT/E rated Ultraterrains will go on next week, so that may take some of the squish out of the rear as well...we shall see.
Are you using a WD hitch? Make sure it’s set right, if not right the ride can get really bouncy from the spring bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trucky Build Update:

While still in MT in September, I put a set of Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/18's on the OEM Sport wheels, and ordered some Bora 1.5" spacers, although I held off installing those until I towed my trailer back to WA.

Here's a pic of new treads--no spacers:

A couple gratuitous photos of "Traylor Swift":

So, after about 3 weeks of the tires/wheels tucked inside the fenders, I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to install the Bora spacers--and in a stroke of great timing, the UPS guy showed up with my new Bilstein 5160's WHILE I had the rear wheels off today, so I slapped the new shocks on right then...

Here's how he looks now with the complete suspension setup, Bora 1.5" spacers and the "sport" decal removed:

SO much better looking stance, and idk if it's the 5160's or just the wider stance (or both) but the truck handles/feels so much better going down the road.

That's it for now. Back to the ship for 2-3 months, then it's off to sunny CA and AZ for trailer camping, surfing and mountain biking...

Next on the list:
  • Window Tint
  • Canopy (??)
  • CAI
Catch y'all on the flipside.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
coming right along!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts