F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an exhaust for my f150. I can't stand the nasty sound out of all the single exhausts currently available. The sound of a ecoboost SHO and the Explorer is a night and day difference compared to the f150.

I've seen like 2 vids of a true dual turbo back exhaust on YouTube but was wondering if anyone has put together any nice setups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
If he's talking TRUE dual exhaust... It'd be header back. No one has done a true dual set up with completely independent pipes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think anybody has. It would be interesting to hear how it sounds. How big would you go? 2.5"? The only issue I see is keeping them from vibrating against one another in the space you have available. You could possibly weld in 2 or 3 small braces that attach the pipes together and keep a consistent gap. How would you exit? Maybe I'll put my truck on the rack this weekend and see what I can come up with!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think anybody has. It would be interesting to hear how it sounds. How big would you go? 2.5"? The only issue I see is keeping them from vibrating against one another in the space you have available. You could possibly weld in 2 or 3 small braces that attach the pipes together and keep a consistent gap. How would you exit? Maybe I'll put my truck on the rack this weekend and see what I can come up with!
I got under the truck and there was plenty of space for 2 2.5 side by side. I'm sure 2 3" is possible also. Yea the brackets with consistent gap would be the way to go. They can exit side by side, or get around the spare tire which is a little tight to have an exit on each side. The true dual on the explorers sounds so much more aggressive than that terrible ricey v6 mustang sound these singles make.

The y off the dp can be replaced with an x pipe to continue to a dual.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't think it would sound good but a single 2.5" should easily support 300whp and 3"will do over 450 so 2 3" would be way overkill

·
Registered
868 Posts
the dual catback i have is 2-1/2" and bolting that to a stock truck i could notice a sluggish takeoff, you would loose even more bottom end with bigger pipes or true dual pipes.

that could be compensated for with a custom tune but my truck was stock and i pulled the exhaust back off 3 weeks later until i have time to work out that bug.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the dual catback i have is 2-1/2" and bolting that to a stock truck i could notice a sluggish takeoff, you would loose even more bottom end with bigger pipes or true dual pipes.

that could be compensated for with a custom tune but my truck was stock and i pulled the exhaust back off 3 weeks later until i have time to work out that bug.
You lose because you don't have a true dual system. You have the factory Y downpipe into a single pipe then back to a dual. I true dual would have the best performance overall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts