F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to do a brake job, rear wheels will not come off. I am guessing from road salt, the wheels are bonded to the brake rotor. I sprayed some liquid wrench on it, see if that helps. Any tips on getting them off? I tried a sledge hammer, no go. Yes, all lug nuts were off.

I am also guessing the rotors are shot. The brakes pulse real bad to the point I thought it was a bad ABS sensor. I imagine the pads are down to the metal. Its not my daily driver and my Wife drove it to wok one day last week and said something was up with the brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
I don't know. You have always seemed to be someone who figures this kind of stuff out.

Those wheels ARE coming off. And then you will be posting what worked.

I'm kinda curious now too.

I can only advise patience? (penetrating oil of some kind?)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I would try to gently use a pry bar. If you are replacing brakes, use the rotor as a contact point? If not try behind the wheel on the hub? I had a hell of a time getting my driveshaft off. It was rusted on like crazy. I removed all bolts but one that was loosely tightened, put it in drive and went back and forth and that helped.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Steel or aluminum wheels? I suppose I would let it soak with some deep creep overnight then use a short 2X4 and a mallet on the back of the rim. You probably already tried that. If the wheels are junk, you could always try and heat things up.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steel or aluminum wheels? I suppose I would let it soak with some deep creep overnight then use a short 2X4 and a mallet on the back of the rim. You probably already tried that. If the wheels are junk, you could always try and heat things up.

Steel Wheels. Wheels are in good shape.
I could take it to the tire shop and have them rotated, but they have a policy if the brakes are bad they wont let it leave the shop. I am sure I could refuse the service, just not sure if legally they can hold my truck hostage with bad brakes.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Trying to do a brake job, rear wheels will not come off. I am guessing from road salt, the wheels are bonded to the brake rotor. I sprayed some liquid wrench on it, see if that helps. Any tips on getting them off? I tried a sledge hammer, no go. Yes, all lug nuts were off.

I am also guessing the rotors are shot. The brakes pulse real bad to the point I thought it was a bad ABS sensor. I imagine the pads are down to the metal. Its not my daily driver and my Wife drove it to wok one day last week and said something was up with the brakes.
Put one lug nut back on, but loose to prevent wheel from flying off during next step.
Next step, hit the tire from the outside and rotate it after every 2 hits. If it doesn't seem to come off, then hit it from the inside (under the truck) with the same procedure.

Don't forget clean up the corrosion, and use anti-seize upon reinstallation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might try installing all the lug nuts until snug then backing them back off about 3/4 turn. Then lower tire back onto the ground and drive forward and backwards several times and hitting the brakes abruptly. If you have a rough street close by drive on it with the lug nuts loosened and apply the brakes abruptly while driving on the rough road might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
It’s not my favourite method, but you can put the lugs back on but leave them loose. Hop in the truck and go for a drive around the block. Please, please be careful if you use this method.

Swerve it back and forth a bit and it usually does the trick. It’s usually the hub-centric ring that gets seized.

Other methods I’ve had success with is to use a hi-lift jack between the wheels with some big blocks of wood or air chisel around the rotor close to the wheel to loosen up the rust/corrosion. Depends on wheel design and type though.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pull it off with your Jeep??? :D (yes im being sarcastic. I just wanna see the jeep more. lol )
I haven't got any good ones lately.
Here is the dash when it turned 1941 miles, for the year the first Jeep was made.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't remember if I posted this one or not. It is a great daily driver.
I get asked about my plate often.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don't remember if I posted this one or not. It is a great daily driver.
I get asked about my plate often.
Man that is beautiful. Looked like a place me and my buddy went when we were in middle school. It was a small town called tincup in CO and looked like that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've used a propane torch around the center portion of the wheel. Go in a circular motion. Do not concentrate the heat in any one spot. Then hit the tire with your sledge hammer. Clean up the corrosion and apply anti-seize to the contact points. I do this with my steel winter wheels and my summer aluminum wheels. Usually just a heel kick now.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
lol is this serious? Just kick the tire

Make sure your ebrake is off before hammering the rotors too...
Yes, serious. I even hit them as hard as I could with a sledge hammer.
Your welcome to come over and try it with your bionic leg.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Yes, serious. I even hit them as hard as I could with a edge hammer.
Your welcome to come over and try it with your bionic leg.
Grab a frame straightener from Harbour Freight and then get it between the wheels and giver.

Bring back the tool after for a full refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Jack it up and put a 2x4 behind the tire touching the rim, and use a heavy dead blow hammer to hit it from behind. rotate the tire and repeat. This should keep you from damaging the wheel. You can really swing a dead blow, and they tend to work better for stuff like this than sledge hammers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts