F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I've been reading for a long time and just now getting the courage to post. Thanks for all the help I've gotten from reading your posts!
I'm trying to decide on tire size as well for my '14 Screw 6.5' bed and Max trailer with 3.73's. I got a set of Method Mesh 18x9 +18mm on a good Black Friday deal and now they're sitting in my garage.
Currently running Cooper At3's that have been great and I plan on replacing them on these new methods. Right now I have 275/70 18's on factory 18x7.5" with Bilstein 5100's set on the 3'rd notch, 1.25 (ish) inches. No rear lift.
So here's the tough decision:
-go smaller but a tick wider with 285/65's
-go up to a 295/70 and potentially commit to the day's work of tearing apart the front end to do some service and pull out the 5100's and up them to 1.75" or 2.1" (leaning to 1.75" because I typically carry a bit of weight and don't plan on lifting the rear)
-get 305/60's and go wider but same diam. as my 275's and not need to adjust the Bilsteins
-or ultimately, get 275's again and have them be maybe a touch too narrow for the 9" wide Methods, but I like their height

I live in Tahoe, lots of snow and ice in the winter here. I'm hesitant to going too wide for losing snow traction, and hesitant to put something on that doesn't do the Method wheels justice and look proportional. I'd be willing to try the 295's without adjusting the Bilsteins (which are another issue in that they have 30k miles and a little rusty from mountain roads) and see how they fit, but also thinking I could save a few pounds with the 285's being a little smaller, thus saving some mpg loss I'd get on the bigger ones. I need to crap or get off le pot soon with my current tires with it being winter.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
305/65/18’s seem to be a pretty good fit.

Truck is “leveled” with fox 2.5’s up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks nice, fills in the wheel wells proportionately. Are the fender flares stock? Are they enough to stop debris hitting the body? I see the mud flaps too.
I meant to say 305/65, not 60 as I wrote above.
In the Cooper's the 305/65 18 is 33.58" tall, about 1/4" taller than my 275's were new so that shouldn't be an issue. They're about right on 1" wider in section and tread width than the 275's, so with the 18mm offset and 9" wide its looking like not an issue there either.

Curious to see a setup similar to mine with the 295's and 5100's not all the way up. I'll keep searching!

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
The flairs are stock, but as you see I am running RokBlokz mud guards. Personally, I would not run this set up without mudflaps. With the +18 offset, they do stick out a little bit.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I would def lean towards a 34” tire on a screw+6.5’ bed. I have 33” duratracs on mine and I think the extra wheelbase makes them seem smaller:

IMG_1299.jpg

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
305/65/18;s on my 2015 eco

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My
Opinion go with the taller and narrower tire based on the climate you described. I also think it makes the truck look better from the side....more aggressive look.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I think you would have to level up the front a little bit more.
I know a guy here fit 275/65R20 T/A KO2’s on his stock 2013 with no issue. His truck was nearly identical to mine(black, screw, 6.5’, 4x4).

I am not sure 275/65 Duratracs would fit. My 275/60’s were close enough that they ripped off my weathertech mudflaps.

Here it is: 275/65r20 bfg at ko2

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
I know a guy here fit 275/65R20 T/A KO2’s on his stock 2013 with no issue. His truck was nearly identical to mine(black, screw, 6.5’, 4x4).

I am not sure 275/65 Duratracs would fit. My 275/60’s were close enough that they ripped off my weathertech mudflaps.
I honestly think there is something about certain trucks that allows them to clear tire/wheel combos that others don't. Maybe it's a body that is fitted slightly farther back or a different spring rates in the coil-overs leading to slightly different ride heights. I had to do some trimming to fit my 34" KO2's with the front about 1.5-2" higher than stock, but they are 305's vs. 275's. Most folks who say they clear larger tires aren't running any mudflaps, which personally I just can't bring myself to do, lol.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I honestly think there is something about certain trucks that allows them to clear tire/wheel combos that others don't. Maybe it's a body that is fitted slightly farther back or a different spring rates in the coil-overs leading to slightly different ride heights. I had to do some trimming to fit my 34" KO2's with the front about 1.5-2" higher than stock, but they are 305's vs. 275's. Most folks who say they clear larger tires aren't running any mudflaps, which personally I just can't bring myself to do, lol.
That particular guy was running the same weathertechs I had. I have no idea how he got them stuffed in there. My mudflaps came off the second I backed up out of the parking spot after getting the tires put on. I wanna go 34's but I don't wanna step up to the LT E-range.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
That particular guy was running the same weathertechs I had. I have no idea how he got them stuffed in there. My mudflaps came off the second I backed up out of the parking spot after getting the tires put on. I wanna go 34's but I don't wanna step up to the LT E-range.
I think Ridge grapplers can be had in a P rated tire around close to a 34, but wider like a 305.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would def lean towards a 34” tire on a screw+6.5’ bed. I have 33” duratracs on mine and I think the extra wheelbase makes them seem smaller:

View attachment 164550
I do agree that bigger tires looks better with a bigger wheelbase. There's been times where I've looked at the 275/70's I have now and they seem small in proportion to the truck. But next to a stock setup they look big...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My
Opinion go with the taller and narrower tire based on the climate you described. I also think it makes the truck look better from the side....more aggressive look.

Totally agree. Narrower tires seem to definitely be better for the winter conditions here. Because of this I think I'm ruling out 305's.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Totally agree. Narrower tires seem to definitely be better for the winter conditions here. Because of this I think I'm ruling out 305's.
Never had zero issues with my 305/65R18s in the snow.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I’d stick with the 275/70s or the 295s

285/65s are too short and 305s are too wide imo, but I’m not into the wide tire look.

I had 285/70-17 on the same truck you describe with 1.75” up front and wish the were just a half inch taller

1 - 20 of 22 Posts