F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my Bilsteins all around lift set up at the 2nd to the top setting. So now I want to install new tires and wheels. I have the stock 18x7.5 wheels with stock tires 275/65/18 on right now. I want to know if anyone tried a 295/70/18 tires with a 18x9 wheels and if it fit without rubbing at all? If not what would be a good bigger tires for a 18x9 wheel that would fit fine without rubbing and a better tires than the stock. My uses is regularly on the road driving and occasionally off roading. Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1957.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot will depend on back spacing of the rims. What back spacing are you looking to get? Height you should be fine that's a 34.3" tire and I had 34.1" tires with no level and no rubbing.
I have no clue at all on what back space I should get. I want one that's not going to affect the handling and durability of my truck but still looks good. I do know per STdan's post that I have a 5.5" back space on my stock 18x7.5 wheels. That's one reason I posted here so I can get an idea on what other members after market wheels and tires set up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've got the bilstine's on the top setting and I'm running the 295/70r18. My wheels are a 5.14 BS and a 10+ off set. I've only gotten. Rub 1 time while going through a very deep bar ditch. Around town tho its fine

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here's a good website/tool to compare your current tire wheel combo to a package you maybe looking at.

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

what I would do is find the wheel you like, than find what offsets it's available in and put that into the above calulator. Compare that to your stock. The lower the offset the lower the Back spacing the farther the wheel/tire will stick out.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
BS on stock 18x7.5 +44 is actually 6". I run 295/65/18 DuraTracs on an 18x9 +20 with Bilsteins on next to top sitting with no rubbing and no trimming (even flexed and at full lock - they have never rubbed in 40K miles). But, clearance to front valence and rear liner is close at lock. 295/70/18 should be doable with little to no trimming. I'll try and post up a few pics, but I've been having some photobucket issues on my phone recently.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Forgot to mention, UCA clearance is fine too.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
And, an idea how far they stick out. A larger offset would tuck them in more, but be closer to the UCA. A smaller or negative offset would poke them out more (maybe causing more potential rubbing issues flexing or at lock).

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Forgot to mention, UCA clearance is fine too.

Thanks for the feedback and the pictures this will really help me in deciding which size to go with. That looks really close you're right it gave me an idea on how a 295/65/18 will look like. But your set up looks really good! I don't mind the wheel sticking out a bit like that. My 275/65/18 looks that close inside the fairings too and since the 295/70/18 does rubs and require some trimming and my Bilsteins are set to the 2nd to the top setting then that size is out. So I think I'll just go with a 285/65/18 then to be sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a good website/tool to compare your current tire wheel combo to a package you maybe looking at.

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

what I would do is find the wheel you like, than find what offsets it's available in and put that into the above calulator. Compare that to your stock. The lower the offset the lower the Back spacing the farther the wheel/tire will stick out.
This is an awesome site Bmeyers thanks for sharing this will definitely help me out too!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
phamtomblackgto what does the +20 means? Sorry I'm a noob on trucks. Is that the 275 tires plus 20 to a 295 tires?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
phamtomblackgto what does the +20 means? Sorry I'm a noob on trucks. Is that the 275 tires plus 20 to a 295 tires?
No, that's the offset of the wheel. I think on an 18x9 with a +20 offset, the back spacing is like 5.8".

BS and offset are related. BS is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the inner edge of the wheel. Offset is how much the mounting surface of the wheel is from the center line of the wheel. A 0 offset has the mounting surface aligned with the center of the wheel. Positive offset pushes the mounting surface towards the outer edge of the wheel (making the wheel tuck in more when mounted). Negative offset pulls the mounting surface towards the inner edge of the wheel (making the wheel stick out more when mounted). You will be good to go with a 285/65/18. There are a lot more tire options in 285/65/18 than there are in 295/65/18. The 285 will average about 1/2" shorter than a 295 giving even more clearance and will keep the speedo closer to stock. Here's another tool that helps with tire size, but I'd recommend checking the true tire dimensions on the tire manufacturer's website, as not all tires with the same advertised size will actually be the same actual size.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=295-65r18-285-65r18

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the detail information phamtomblackgto. This is another very helpful info. I appreciate you answering my question with more detail info. I will check that site too and yes I made up my mind and will just go with a 285/65/18 tires.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks for the detail information phamtomblackgto. This is another very helpful info. I appreciate you answering my question with more detail info. I will check that site too and yes I made up my mind and will just go with a 285/65/18 tires.
No problem. Tire/wheel decisions can be mind boggling. If you are going with an 18x9, staying around a +20 offset will put you right in the sweet spot for good fitment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally agree man so glad I joined this forum otherwise no clue at all what to get. I checked out the packages and it looks like it'll cost around $2k plus grand and I don't want to blow that large amount of money and find out that it would not fit my truck. Thanks again now I know what offset and back spacing for an 18X9 wheel to play with at least I have a little idea now on how to choose the correct fitment of wheels and tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
Hyperider
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing