F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3.5L GTDI - INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON ACCELERATIONFROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID OR DAMP CONDITIONS

TSB 14-0017 link to it below
https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/14-0017.pdf

"Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration level using IDS release 88.03 or higher"

Who has had this issue 2011-2014 and have actually let the dealer reprogram their PCM, what was your outcome after the reprogram? Did you continue to have issues with the CAC collection moisture? (please if you have drilled the weep hole this doesn't apply, I need actual information about if the reprogram worked or not and what it did to your truck *lack of power? *loss of MPG? *longer turbo spooling? etc?) FYI because some seem to have missed the point of this I UNDERSTAND THE ACTUAL AND PROBABLY ONLY FIX IS TO DRILL A WEEP HOLE OR REPLACE THE CAC, BUT I AM NOT ASKING FOR THAT INFORMATION ON THIS POST, I AM ASKING FOR FOLLOW UPS FROM THOSE WHO DID NOT DO THOSE THINGS AND DID THE TSB ONLY

My question is coming from the fact that no one at ford can explain to me how the reprogram will solve the issue, I have contacted Ford voicing my concerns about how it seems all these TSBs are just chasing the tails of the previous one. Example in this link where the release of the 2012 TSB to fix the issue and now the 2014 TSB basically undoing everything the previous one said was the permanent fix
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2013/INRD-PE13018-58124P.PDF

·
Registered
709 Posts
Dude, really...

Condensation issues have been absolutely beat to death.

Gap your plugs to .03" and drill a 1/16" hole in your CAC and be done with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok, so one not a DUDE, and two I need actual information from those WHO DID THE TSB with Ford, not those who did the OBVIOUS fix which I know what it is... This is why I said if you did the weep hole this doesn't apply.

and if that response sounded rude, sorry. But I clearly stated in my first post the information I was wanting, I know how to fix the issue I am not an idiot I have done my research and that is why I am asking this question.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Think in one of those tsb's it also tells you to remove the air deflectors in front of cac to be removed. Has this been done?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the TSB 14-0017 that states to remove them. I am wanting to know who has actually allowed Ford to do the PCM reprogram and how their truck responded and if they had any more condensation issues following this.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The TSB isn't going to solve the problem due to the nature of the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this and understand this. This is again why I need to hear from those who let ford do the TSB, I know someone on here has done it and knows how their vehicle reacted. I have read reports online saying it lowered fuel milage and some still had the misfire issue and condensation issue. I just need data from those who have done it and what the result was.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
The TSB isn't going to solve the problem due to the nature of the design.

Correct. ^^^^
Updating the PCM is due to the removal of the deflector plates and it changes certain parameters in relation to operating temperatures of the CAC (I think this is correct?). But No, it doesn't do anything to eliminate the build-up of condensation...it helps a smidge, but doesn't eliminate or totally correct the issue.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Correct. ^^^^
Updating the PCM is due to the removal of the deflector plates and it changes certain parameters in relation to operating temperatures of the CAC (I think this is correct?). But No, it doesn't do anything to eliminate the build-up of condensation...it helps a smidge, but doesn't eliminate or totally correct the issue.
Real waste of time if you're concerned there's a problem but refuse to correct it the right way lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a better response than the Ford dealer had by far. I am waiting on the cooperate office to call back. I basically asked them to explain to me why the issue of the moisture build up isn't being fixed and instead just being covered with a bandaid. She said she would contact the dealer I worked with and see if she could get more information, I am pretty sure she is trying to give me the run around or thinking I will take that answer, but I sent my email to about 15 people in the upper ups of Ford and the NHTSA, and now have her direct number. But the more information I have on my side the better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Real waste of time if you're concerned there's a problem but refuse to correct it the right way lol.

Exactly what I told Ford, they aren't addressing the actual issue, they are just treating the symptoms.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Exactly what I told Ford, they aren't addressing the actual issue, they are just treating the symptoms.
Addressing the actual issue on the 11-14's isn't even an option for them. They can't replace the stock CAC with better a one, or change the location & piping. You can...but they're not going to. It sucks...but it is what it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Addressing the actual issue on the 11-14's isn't even an option for them. They can't replace the stock CAC with better a one, or change the location & piping. You can...but they're not going to. It sucks...but it is what it is.
I know and I am probably chasing the wind with my attempts to make something happen, but I am determined to see how far I can chase it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know and I am probably chasing the wind with my attempts to make something happen, but I am determined to see how far I can chase it.
I hear ya there, & I don't blame you. I just have a feeling that you're never going to get the answer from them you're looking for lol. It's all but a certainty actually.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know that I'd even waste my time with it if I were you. I'd either A). go aftermarket and get a better intercooler; Full Race seems to be the big cat of them all. Wagner is a popular second. I got the ATP and it's more than adequate for my needs. I never though I'd realize how much of a limiting factor the stock CAC could be until I replaced mine, and I'm not even tuned for it, etc. Now...spending that sort of loot obviously isn't an option for everyone, so....

Or B). Drill the weep-hole (which I know you've said you researched) and move on with it.

I agree with you, the PCM reprogram just sounds "meh" to me...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear ya there, & I don't blame you. I just have a feeling that you're never going to get the answer from them you're looking for lol. It's all but a certainty actually.
Yea the lady I spoke to basically just kept saying "I don't work on the technical side", I was like I understand that but the people who do don't seem to have an answer either. I was like I am a nurse and if we tell a patient this is what is wrong with you and this is what we plan to do to fix it, and they ask "how will that fix it" and our response is "I don't know" all faith is lost. This is the same with this issue, no one at the dealer could tell me how a reprogram would magically make my CAC not hold moisture, so I am determined to find someone in the Ford chain that can or someone who will admit it can't... I am a dreamer if you can't tell lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know that I'd even waste my time with it if I were you. I'd either A). go aftermarket and get a better intercooler; Full Race seems to be the big cat of them all. Wager is a popular second. I got the ATP and it's more than adequate for my needs. I never though I'd realize how much of a limiting factor the stock CAC could be until I replaced mine, and I'm not even tuned for it, etc. Now...spending that sort of loot obviously isn't an option for everyone, so....

Or B). Drill the weep-hole (which I know you've said you researched) and move on with it.

I agree with you, the PCM reprogram just sounds "meh" to me...
The weep hole will more than likely get drilled, replacing the CAC will wait until the powertrain warranty is up... even though the CAC isn't covered under that it still can affect parts that are so I want to wait it out.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Thats a better response than the Ford dealer had by far. I am waiting on the cooperate office to call back. I basically asked them to explain to me why the issue of the moisture build up isn't being fixed and instead just being covered with a bandaid. She said she would contact the dealer I worked with and see if she could get more information, I am pretty sure she is trying to give me the run around or thinking I will take that answer, but I sent my email to about 15 people in the upper ups of Ford and the NHTSA, and now have her direct number. But the more information I have on my side the better.
It's a design flaw and the TSB is all but worthless

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
@K609, as to your other original question of wondering about flashing the PCM making mpg's go down, this is true, but it's temporary. Anytime the PCM gets flashed to a new stock strategy, the truck will then have to relearn your driving habits and this has a tendency to affect the mileage for a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@K609, as to your other original question of wondering about flashing the PCM making mpg's go down, this is true, but it's temporary. Anytime the PCM gets flashed to a new stock strategy, the truck will then have to relearn your driving habits and this has a tendency to affect the mileage for a few hundred miles.
and that again is more information than ford could give me

1 - 20 of 83 Posts