F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by TSB 18-2305. Came out in late october 2018. The updated tensioner kit now comes with all 4 cam sprockets.

I will try to attach the TSB later

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
3.5L EcoBoost - Cold Start - Ticking/Tapping Or Rattle Type Noise - Built On Or Before 29-May-2015
18-2305
24 October 2018

This bulletin supersedes 16-0027. Reason for update: New Part/Procedure For Same Condition
Model:
Ford
2011-2015 F-150

Summary
This article supersedes TSB 16-0027 to update the Parts List.
Issue: Some 2011-2015 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine and built on or before 29-May-2015 may exhibit a ticking/tapping or rattle type noise from the top front cover area of the engine upon initial start-up lasting for 2-5 seconds after a cold soak of 6 hours or more.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
Parts
Part Number Description Quantity
BR3Z-6584-B BR3Z-6584-B Cam Cover Gasket - Right Side (2011–2012)1
DL3Z-6584-C DL3Z-6584-C Cam Cover Gasket - Right Side (2013–2015)1
BL3Z-6D256-C BL3Z-6D256-C Timing Chain Tensioner Kit1
TA-357 TA-357 Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone1
ZC-30-A ZC-30-A Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket Remover1
ZC-31-B ZC-31-B Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep1
VC-3-B VC-3-B Motorcraft® Orange Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant1
XO-5W30-Q1SP XO-5W30-Q1SP Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil6
Warranty Status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
Description Operation No. Time
2011-2014 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Replace All Four VCT Units And The Primary Timing Chain (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)182305A9.2 Hrs.
2015 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Replace All Four VCT Units And The Primary Timing Chain (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)182305B9.0 Hrs.
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:6584
Condition Code:42

Service Procedure
1. Check the vehicle build date. Was the vehicle built on or before 29-May-2015?
(1). Yes - proceed to Step 2.
(2). No - this procedure does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
2. Does the customer state a ticking/tapping or rattle type noise lasting for 2-5 seconds occurs from the top front cover area of the engine upon cold start-up after a cold soak of 6 hours or more?
(1). Yes - proceed to Step 3.
(2). No - this article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
3. Replace all 4 variable camshaft timing (VCT) units and the primary timing chain. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.

[HR][/HR]© 2018 Ford Motor Company
All rights reserved.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
this should work, not the best

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in case any one is wondering, the new kit is over $400

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
Hey DJ, thank you for this!
It has been stated numerous times that Ford will not cover this under the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, but why exactly is that? When reading the wording of the factory warranty, it specifically states that the timing chain is covered?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey DJ, thank you for this!
It has been stated numerous times that Ford will not cover this under the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, but why exactly is that? When reading the wording of the factory warranty, it specifically states that the timing chain is covered?
take the ford will not cover it like a grain of salt.

is the dealer able to verify it? that is the main question to ask

Soo many people scream and stomp their feet when a dealer can't verify it

FORD WON'T COVER IT.

and join a forum to ***** and moan

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
it is indeed covered under factory powertrain. we have done a decent amount here

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
Soo many people scream and stomp their feet when a dealer can't verify it

FORD WON'T COVER IT.

and join a forum to ***** and moan
WHAAAAT?!?!? Nobody would ever do that, would they? LOL ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is back in after having the tsb for the phasers and TC done in august. Was intermittent and they couldnt reproduce earlier this year. It was originally done under PT warranty. Now its off PT warranty but is still under parts and labor warranty from the dealer. They heard it yesterday and agreed and its covered.

I asked them to do the tensioners as well, manager and foreman said they don't really fail but will do it if I want. Said there was no real labor just cost of the parts as it will be open already. They haven't called me back yet. They seemed to feel that tinkering with more parts may cayuse more of an issue.??? My concern was that the 1st repair only lasted 3 months and we should not just do the same thing.

How much would the tensioner parts cost me?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is back in after having the tsb for the phasers and TC done in august. Was intermittent and they couldnt reproduce earlier this year. It was originally done under PT warranty. Now its off PT warranty but is still under parts and labor warranty from the dealer. They heard it yesterday and agreed and its covered.

I asked them to do the tensioners as well, manager and foreman said they don't really fail but will do it if I want. Said there was no real labor just cost of the parts as it will be open already. They haven't called me back yet. They seemed to feel that tinkering with more parts may cayuse more of an issue.??? My concern was that the 1st repair only lasted 3 months and we should not just do the same thing.

How much would the tensioner parts cost me?
the timing chain kit, which for whatever reason does not come with tensioners. will set you back about 430 bucks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the timing chain and phasers will all be under warranty so the tensioners alone cost 430$??
No that timing chain kit is $430

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Elmore328

just my opinion but i think this thread should be a sticky, considering how popular the old TSB was

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
@Elmore328

just my opinion but i think this thread should be a sticky, considering how popular the old TSB was
I couldn't agree more! It has been 'stuck' and is at the top of the list on the problems section. ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So should we still be ok if we had it done under the older TSB? 30K on mine since the fix and no issues so far.
yes you should be, not saying it couldn't happen again but its kinda low

·
Registered
22 Posts
They ended up (this week) doing the new updated tsb with the tensioners included all at no charge. They found the TC guide to be cracked, the vct timing chain guide was also replaced, 1 vct bolt was stripped out and a valve cover bolt was seized /crossthreaded. Seems the 1st tsb in august was not the best job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know if this kit includes the crank seal on the front timing cover?
One of those things that would be a shame to skip once you’re in there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
11 Participants
JasonPAC
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing