F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does anyone know if this kit includes the crank seal on the front timing cover?
One of those things that would be a shame to skip once you’re in there.
yes it does

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
they ended up (this week) doing the new updated tsb with the tensioners included all at no charge. They found the tc guide to be cracked, the vct timing chain guide was also replaced, 1 vct bolt was stripped out and a valve cover bolt was seized /crossthreaded. Seems the 1st tsb in august was not the best job.
ouch

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had this done.
Truck is a 2011 at 94k miles. I bought it CPO in 2016 with 35,000 miles and it was already making the noise before the first oil change.
I took it in several times, but the dealer never heard it or thought it was something else (we don’t hear it, replace the vacuum pump, maybe you need an oil change, etc).

When I bought the truck I preferred the (relative) simplicity of the 5.0, so to make the sale I didn’t haggle the price of the truck at all but had them extend my warranty. So I got bumper to bumper warranty through July 2019 or 100k miles. That’s about to expire so this time I parked the truck at their lot and left it sit for several days before bringing them the keys and told them to have whoever ready (ford rep or if they needed a conference call going etc). Thankfully they all agreed that they could hear it and the warranty covered it so I just had my $100 deductible.

Big relief.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! Kept hearing the noise on intermittent cold starts and couldn't put my finger on what to say to the dealership. Taking mine in tomorrow to see if this will be fixed; along with a mess of throttle body/pcm/shifting junk... :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know what parts come in the "Timing Chain Tensioner Kit"? Part number BL3Z-6D256-C?

I'd also be interested in a fully updated parts list to accomplish this job. I know the FordTechMakuloco dude has a nice list on UTube but some of those parts have been replaced with a later version. For example:

The exhaust phaser he lists is AT4Z-6C525-B but that part has been superseded by AT4Z-6C525-D

It seems like they've had two more revisions of parts since he's made/updated that list. I feel like it's very important that we are using the most up to date parts. Especially since I'm sure Ford is spending lots of time and money figuring out how to fix their cam phaser issues (or at least I hope).

I think I'll run down to my local dealer and speak to the service manager and get some answers on the parts list that's necessary to perform this TSB and report back. Maybe I can get some answers on what these revisions have changed and if they finally have this worked out.

My truck has made it 165k miles and the noise is getting worse. If this fix makes it another 165k I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone know what parts come in the "Timing Chain Tensioner Kit"? Part number BL3Z-6D256-C?

I'd also be interested in a fully updated parts list to accomplish this job. I know the FordTechMakuloco dude has a nice list on UTube but some of those parts have been replaced with a later version. For example:

The exhaust phaser he lists is AT4Z-6C525-B but that part has been superseded by AT4Z-6C525-D

It seems like they've had two more revisions of parts since he's made/updated that list. I feel like it's very important that we are using the most up to date parts. Especially since I'm sure Ford is spending lots of time and money figuring out how to fix their cam phaser issues (or at least I hope).

I think I'll run down to my local dealer and speak to the service manager and get some answers on the parts list that's necessary to perform this TSB and report back. Maybe I can get some answers on what these revisions have changed and if they finally have this worked out.

My truck has made it 165k miles and the noise is getting worse. If this fix makes it another 165k I'll be a happy camper.
There is an updated TSB that updates the part numbers, which I believe is TSB 18-2305. You can verify that with your service manager. You may wish to augment that with the water pump and the VCT solenoids as that is the common consensus advice around here.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

that new kit comes with all 4 cam phasers

·
Registered
15 Posts
that new kit comes with all 4 cam phasers
Good deal. So can you confirm for me that the parts list in TSB 18-2305 is everything we need to accomplish the timing chain rattle?

That would mean the "timing chain tensioner kit" has all 4 cam phasers, timing chain, tensioner, and much more...

Would you be able to provide a list of parts that are included in that kit by chance? That'd be awesome!

·
Registered
15 Posts

Got the BOM for that kit. I've not fully digested how it compares to other recommended parts lists but right off the bat I can tell you there is no tensioner and no guide in this list. Why the hell would you call it a "timing chain tensioner kit" if it doesn't have a damn tensioner in it...come on man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know if this TSB would apply to 2018? My 18 3.5L has a rattle on cold start and constant ticking at idle. Taking it in Thursday for this issue and the multicontour seats not working consistently. 29.5k miles on the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update, picked the truck up today, told "phasers" were the problem as well as PCM for seats is bad. And of course parts are back-ordered with no ETA. Service says driving truck will not cause any damage so I went and got it until parts come in. It's not my daily driver so it won't see much action until time to take it back in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 (approx. 24K miles) with a rattle at cold startup beginning around 4K miles ago. Dealer said it was typical turbo waste gate noise. I'll be talking to the dealer again about this when I go in for the recalled engine heater plug replacement. Thanks for the info folks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought mine used, salesman told me “they all do that”, but after reading about it on here figured I should get it checked. Mine has bad power seat module too, another common issue I found on here.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mine has bad power seat module too, another common issue I found on here.
Not to hijack, but what are the symptoms of a bad seat module?

·
Registered
7 Posts
DNA Dan My drivers side seat lumbar and massage would only intermittently function using the button on the seat. Never could get it to work on the touchscreen. Passenger seat was better but sometimes would not work. Dealer told me it was a bad control module.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts