F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment TSB 17-2077.pdf
Greetings all,
Most of you that own 2016s with the 2.7 are aware of TSB 17-0007 that states the following:

Some 2016 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine and built on 1-Apr-2016 and through 30 Sept-2016 may exhibit white or blue smoke from the exhaust, rough idle in neutral or park at normal operating temperature or after a hot restart. The vehicle may also exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0316, P0524 and/or P06DD with the excessive oil consumption. Oil consumption may be 1 Liter (1 quart) in less than 4,800 km (3,000 miles).

That has all been superceded now, by TSB 17-2077 which reads as follows:

Some 2016-2017 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine and built on 1-Apr-2016 and through 1-Jan-2017 may exhibit white or blue smoke from the exhaust, rough idle in neutral or park at normal operating temperature or after a hot restart. The vehicle may also exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0316, P0524 and/or P06DD with the excessive oil consumption. Oil consumption may be 1 Liter (1 quart) in less than 4,800 km (3,000 miles).

I have attached a PDF of the new updated TSB.
There are 2 fixes. New Heads, or New Longblock.

Just found out about it, didnt find it in the search, so I thought I should pass this one one to folks.
I bid you all a great day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this just happened to me. I bought a new 2016 2.7L EB CrewCab in December. I was passing another car on a 2-lane highway Friday afternoon. It was close or on WOT. I saw a red Low Engine Oil Pressure light flash for a moment, and then I lost significant power and had to pull over. The check engine light then came on, but all my other gauges looked normal (oil pressure, coolant pressure, etc). The engine definitely was not running normal.

5,500 miles.

I checked the oil and not even on the stick! I limped 6 miles back to the last town we went through with flashers on and 40-45mph. It took 3.5 quarts of oil to register full on the dipstick again! After that, I tried driving it around the town, and it seemed significantly better, but definitely not normal. I never saw the flashing red light more than once, but the check engine light stayed on. I called the nearest dealer, who was luckily only 5 miles away. It was 5:30pm on Friday, but the service rep said they were open to 8:00pm and would definitely look at it.

On the way to the dealer, I had the cruise on at 70mph, and the AC was running. Even though the new oil helped it run better, it was still not normal. The dealer looked at it for about half an hour, and then told me this TSB #17-2077 was involved and I needed a new long block engine. They gave me a loaner truck and we continued on our weekend road trip to visit relatives. We were very pleased with how we were treated.

I'll be sure to follow-up here with the results. They're saying 1-2 weeks, but who knows. I've read many threads and related concerns, but am really hoping and expecting this will turn out fine. There are millions of 2.7L EB on the road, and my guess is there are hundreds or thousands that perform just fine for every one like mine that disintegrates.

I will definitely be keeping a close eye on the oil level and exhaust when I get it back. Regarding the latter, I did have a few incidents of copious white smoke upon startup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My F-150, 2017 XL 2.7 Eco Boost, 27,800 miles, maybe it will finished by Friday afternoon, maybe? as of Thursday we will be going on 5 weeks now. If you have 2017 F150 you need to know that Ford had issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the subject. TSB 17-0007. This bulletin states that some trucks built between April 1 and Oct 1 of 2016 may have cylinder heads that need replacement (and are presumably the root cause of the issue). It also states that other symptoms may include rough idle, misfire and/or abnormal exhaust smoke. My truck had that issue plus the rod bearing failed on cylinder #4, the long and short of it is the Engine was going to fail from day 1 and it eventually did, thankfully under the warranty and lease period or this would have cost someone over $6,000.00 in repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My F-150, 2017 XL 2.7 Eco Boost, 27,800 miles, maybe it will finished by Friday afternoon, maybe? as of Thursday we will be going on 5 weeks now. If you have 2017 F150 you need to know that Ford had issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the subject. TSB 17-0007. This bulletin states that some trucks built between April 1 and Oct 1 of 2016 may have cylinder heads that need replacement (and are presumably the root cause of the issue). It also states that other symptoms may include rough idle, misfire and/or abnormal exhaust smoke. My truck had that issue plus the rod bearing failed on cylinder #4, the long and short of it is the Engine was going to fail from day 1 and it eventually did, thankfully under the warranty and lease period or this would have cost someone over $6,000.00 in repairs.
pvavrica: what is the build date on your 2017? I am considering buying a used 2017 2.7 F150 with a Feb '17 build date. According to the aforementioned TSB, it should be clear if the impacted build date range. But reading your post concerns me for a 2017. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If its sold by a dealer why not ask them? If its private sale im sure you could have the person provide paperwork if it was done or if its still in warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
pvavrica: what is the build date on your 2017? I am considering buying a used 2017 2.7 F150 with a Feb '17 build date. According to the aforementioned TSB, it should be clear if the impacted build date range. But reading your post concerns me for a 2017. Thanks in advance.
Dear Sir, I purchased it February 13th of 2017, I believe it was built November of 2016, the dates of the TSB/issue have been recently extended to the end of the build year. I would check with the dealer and see if a compression test would show the issue before purchase. I believe this to be a supplier issue, I work in OEM mfg and it would seem likely to me that ford has various casting houses and machine shops working to build parts for the assembly line, because ford can put dates on the issue it makes me believe that the heads came from a certain plant or supplier or possibly from an ECN, engineering change notice that was later corrected, however it doesn't effect all trucks so that take me back to a supplier issue. If it were possible to get that information from ford you could further rule in or rule out the truck you are looking at. My truck ran well right up the last day, it went all at once within a few miles. I hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts