F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 F150 3.5 L ecoboost. With just over 100k miles which I recently purchased from a dealership. I have noticed since the beginning that there has been a rough idle to the truck or a slight vibration coming from what seems to be the motor. Spark plugs were just changed from what I understand.. Then my check engine light came on and then went away.. Ran decent for a little bit. Then back to the same. still rough idle, high rpms on cold start almost at 1500rpms on cold start, loss of power, feels like it’s misfiring. So I plugged it back up to the OBD reader Said number 6 misfired to many times. (like 198 misfires) my buddy said maybe the intercooler. Ops looks new. I’m taking it to ford I guess any opinions on what you think it could be?? Thanks in advance

sorry had to edit my list but I appreciate all you guys help! Cam phasers it is!

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
Not nearly enough evidence to declare a blown head gasket.

Misfiring is not an uncommon issue around here. Lots of threads. But it usually requires logging a few parameters on the truck while driving, and then drilling down in the results to figure out the culprit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
New coils have a failure rate. Especially if you didn't buy a Ford coil. You could try swapping off a coil from one of the good cyl's, and put it on #6, see if the problem migrates to wherever you put the #6 coil. Logging will definitely help, as Snake said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snake I’ve looked at quite a few threads. Haven’t found anything to clear on what the problem could be other than...I tried Cleaning the mass air flow sensors, changing all the plugs ( I didn’t GaP the plugs) could that be a problem. and I’m no mechanic so u may get some dumb questions like this one. Does misfiring go hand in hand with the rough idle deal. Or can it be misfiring and still idle normal? I know that may be a really stupid question but I don’t know.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Has it had the timing chain and phasers done? if it hasn't that could be a possible issue

·
Registered
596 Posts
Are the connections to #6 coil pack tight, making good contact? Did the plug in that cylinder look like the rest? Spark plug gaps should always be checked before they are installed. The last set of Motorcrafts I have installed varied from .032 to .035, I set them at .030. Yes coils can be bad right out of the box or have an early failure. Head gasket failure usually has some noticeable symptoms. Coolant loss, oil in the coolant. Combustion gases in the coolant, spark plug(s) that vary in color from the rest, coolant smell in the exhaust.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Wasn't there someone else that had a bad wire on the Cop plug before?

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
I could swear there's a current thread with a cylinder #6 misfire chase?

I'll go look for it

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
The thread is titled "Another 3.5 misfire story"

He too is experiencing a misfire and is actively chasing it down.

I also want to mention that although you stated you have had poor luck with the last 3 Fords....... The current one is a 2011 and you purchased it with 100k already on the clock. We have no clue what those first 100k miles were like? Might have been perfect. Or might have been a poorly treated and maintained truck.

In all fairness, you aren't likely to experience a trouble free and warrantied ownership if that's a typical purchase. I mean I can accurately claim that I've had 5 Ford trucks in a row with nothing but a throttle position sensor going out on one of them. (2012 XLT at about 80,000 mile mark. It currently has 101,000) But then I'm the one with the benefit of owning the trucks from their brand new state.

At some point, especially with the 3.5, I'm very likely to be faced with maintenance and repair issues. They aren't the ones that are known for aging well. But they ARE the ones that deliver fantastic performance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snake you’ve got a point. But let’s face it ford fails at the simplest stupidest things like putting an intercooler in the wrong way until what 2015. something to do with not adding the catch can part. I was reading about that today I won’t go into details because that’s besides the point. So all I can say about ford is well your right I wouldn’t ever buy a used one again. I’ve had 2- 6.0 still have one only because I’ve invested over 20k into it to get it to run like it should. The other I just sold for like 5k lost my ass on it. They really did great with that motor didn’t they. Then the heavy Af 6.2 raptor with 80k. Rear end shot out, water pump, fuel pump, bad radio, windows lost power, etc. and I don’t play the lottery so I wouldn’t ever be able to walk into a dealership and ask the bank for 75-80k for a truck I’m going to work out of. Put 100k on it or plus in 5 years. Then it’s worth what 20-25k on a great day. just not that GUY 👆🏻👆🏻...Uhhh UMMM ( ECOXLT)

But in all fairness the 3.5 is a beast! when they have less than 100k miles I guess. Shoulda bought a duramax lol!! But I appreciate you tracking that down for me I’ll look into. But to be honest. I think I’m way to far in deep with this and I’ll just go ahead and let ford deal with it unless I get it back cause they can’t find the problem. I’ll try and change the coil check the wiring stuff like that. Hey . I will be honest I broke the red tab off the clip for that wiring harness on number 6 I’ll go back and check wiring and order a motorcraft coil. But I’m still confused on how it could be a faulty coil if the check engine light hasn’t come back on. Because it came on when that original coil went bad. But hasn’t after I installed the new one. And I wouldn’t know about the timing chain or phasers how can I have them check that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ford boys are gonna love this one. Lol I hope to get some good feedback on this one LMAO 😂 I

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The check for the timing chain is codes (obviously) or looking at the tensioner to see how many teeth are exposed on it. There's also a way to look at the amount of timing degrees in float at idle, but I am not too sure about this one. Anyway the issue isn't testing for these issues you're having, the issue is getting a dealer who actually cares about your issues. All too often owners get a "that's normal" or "I don't see a problem" from a dealer. Walk out and find one who cares. They are rarity today, but there are still some out there. Another option is to convince them they sold you a lemon and you would like to trade it in for a new truck. Sometimes this is more appealing to a dealer if you bring new money to the table.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DNA I could not have gotten a better response to that because you were spot on. It is the cam phasers but the funny thing is that they didn’t hear the noise until I had to come in there myself and hear it. The other funny thing is the advisor guy asked me why I didn’t want to take it back where I bought the truck before we even started if this morning. I said because it’s too far away and where he messed up is that after the fact he told me that’s why I asked you why you didn’t want to take it back to Jim Tidwell because they might have to pay for it instead of my warranty. So here we go I get to deal with all this.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bye bye to where you took it! You shouldn't have to deal with that attitude.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people try to chase business away. Maybe this visit is not very profitable to them but your through the door, now they have a chance to make a return costumer. You cannot buy goodwill and good word of mouth.

I will not let my shadow cross their doorway.

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
Dang lousy scenario.

If you'd have come here and asked for advice on purchasing a 100k mile F150 with a 3.5, at least one of us (for sure me) would advise to negotiate the purchase with a $3000 cost for "The Timing Chain Repair" as part of the negotiations.

Those Gen1 3.5 Ecoboost trucks are amazing vehicles. But the high mileage owner isn't going to get around the likely need of the timing chain refresh in order to enjoy the truck for its full potential. And it appears that lots of folks will trade the truck in rather than the $3000 refresh.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Unfortunately it's getting to the point where warranty work isn't very profitable anymore. It's far easier to just sell trucks. Also dealing with a warranty company is probably a big headache for the dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
More than a few of us on here whom have bought a used and beaten silly truck. Mine being one of those. It's a headache to get through. I started out a not mechanically inclined guy also, but I learned alot by listening to these guys, and my truck runs fantastic these days. From Knock sensors (crappy job), to blown turbo, to even bad coils making misfires that I didnt even get codes for, and a bunch in between. You'll be amazed when you get it good again.

Personally I would't trade the experience. Pretty self sufficient when something happens to the truck, and if not, I know where to ask.

I'd check that #6 coil connector that you said broke. Rockauto sells new ones, not expensive if that ones chowed up, not making contact, or corroded. I've had to do that fix on mine when I bought a set of coils to swap them all out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 F150 3.5 L ecoboost. With just over 100k miles which I recently purchased from a dealership. I have noticed since the beginning that there has been a rough idle to the truck or a slight vibration coming from what seems to be the motor. Spark plugs were just changed from what I understand.. Then my check engine light came on and then went away.. Ran decent for a little bit. Then back to the same. still rough idle, high rpms on cold start almost at 1500rpms on cold start, loss of power, feels like it’s misfiring. So I plugged it back up to the OBD reader Said number 6 misfired to many times. (like 198 misfires) my buddy said maybe the intercooler. Ops looks new. I’m taking it to ford I guess any opinions on what you think it could be?? Thanks in advance

sorry had to edit my list but I appreciate all you guys help! Cam phasers it is!
I would look at replacing the #6 coil. I have a 2013 3.5L with 210K miles on it of which I put all 210K on myself. I replace the plugs and caps every 50k miles and am still running with the original coils. If the codes point to #6, well, #6 is where I'd start. After replacing the coil if the code is still coming from #6, look at replacing the #6 plug, and yes, they can be defective/bad out of the box. I've always checked the gap out of the box, but they seem to always be set correctly. I would also look for trash and crud in the cap and around the plug. The mechanics aren't always the best at checking for this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts