F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I would look at replacing the #6 coil. I have a 2013 3.5L with 210K miles on it of which I put all 210K on myself. I replace the plugs and caps every 50k miles and am still running with the original coils. If the codes point to #6, well, #6 is where I'd start. After replacing the coil if the code is still coming from #6, look at replacing the #6 plug, and yes, they can be defective/bad out of the box. I've always checked the gap out of the box, but they seem to always be set correctly. I would also look for trash and crud in the cap and around the plug. The mechanics aren't always the best at checking for this.
Great post!
Mostly because it's always nice to hear from a high mileage Ecoboost owner, and especially if they are the original owner.

Gotta ask...... Why did you suddenly decide to speak up? Lol
You've been so quiet for a loooooong time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 F150 3.5 L ecoboost. With just over 100k miles which I recently purchased from a dealership. I have noticed since the beginning that there has been a rough idle to the truck or a slight vibration coming from what seems to be the motor. Spark plugs were just changed from what I understand.. Then my check engine light came on and then went away.. Ran decent for a little bit. Then back to the same. still rough idle, high rpms on cold start almost at 1500rpms on cold start, loss of power, feels like it’s misfiring. So I plugged it back up to the OBD reader Said number 6 misfired to many times. (like 198 misfires) my buddy said maybe the intercooler. Ops looks new. I’m taking it to ford I guess any opinions on what you think it could be?? Thanks in advance

sorry had to edit my list but I appreciate all you guys help! Cam phasers it is!
Have you tried cleaning and resetting the throttle body then reset it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my 2011 F-150 EB with 101,130 miles on it, ford replaced plugs and coils before it took it off their hands. I noticed a little stumble off idle after starting but clears up after a few minutes. I plan on changing the water temp sending unit to see if it clears up this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great post!
Mostly because it's always nice to hear from a high mileage Ecoboost owner, and especially if they are the original owner.

Gotta ask...... Why did you suddenly decide to speak up? Lol
You've been so quiet for a loooooong time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Definitely start at #6 and like someone else said you could swap a coil with another cylinder to see if this misfire follows, if it does then you have your answer, if not I would changed the plug. I’ve seen even the most expensive plugs turn up defective out of box. And as far as gapping goes, unless you gapped them yourself or Ford did they will be off. Ford has changed the gap number 3-4 timing for these engines without really explaining why but it’s mostly due to the direct injection and these being they’re first crack at forced induction GDI so they have been seeing which gap works best. I can’t remember the exact number but I think the latest was 28? But you may want to double check me on that it’s been awhile since I did my plugs

21 - 24 of 24 Posts