F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 F150 3.5L 4X2 145"WB 5'5" bed 3.55 Axle Ratio Max Tow Package GVWR 6750 lbs.,GCWR is 15800 lbs., Payload 1786 lbs., and max loaded trailer weight is 10,700 lbs. Used my haul gauge on current rig and have 800 lbs tongue weight and 700 lbs. with WD hitch. Have been towing 30' TT with GVWR of 7495 lbs. with no issue. I did install a Roadmaster active suspension for increased stability. Would like to consider a 33' with GVWR of 10400 lbs. and dry tongue weight of 660. Concern is mostly length but obviously tongue weight as well. Don't anticipate much boondocking so don't think I would ever travel with full tanks and lots of gear so not sure if I would ever come close to new GVWR. Anyone consider making a similar move or has done it already that can offer advice?

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Here are other people thoughts about my TT. We have about the same truck but you have max tow and around 400 lbs difference on payload, I’d double check that hitch weight, the book on mine said around 700 but was over 1000. But I do have mods. All depends on your comfort level. Check the thread below

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are other people thoughts about my TT. We have about the same truck but you have max tow and around 400 lbs difference on payload, I’d double check that hitch weight, the book on mine said around 700 but was over 1000. But I do have mods. All depends on your comfort level. Check the thread below
F
Here are other people thoughts about my TT. We have about the same truck but you have max tow and around 400 lbs difference on payload, I’d double check that hitch weight, the book on mine said around 700 but was over 1000. But I do have mods. All depends on your comfort level. Check

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. We are towing a Grand Design Imagine 2400BH and considered a Reflection 285BHTS on close out but shied away because of length. The manufacturer hitch weight on yours is similar so I guess a hitch weight close to 1K lbs. (loaded) is to be expected on a similarly sized TT.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
If your worried about length and having swaying issues a $300+- for a rear sway bar would help wonders along with your WDH

Edit:
It’s a easy install

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
I would have added a rear sway bar already if I didn't want to compromise off road performance.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
That's not the same as having a sway bar on the truck. Two totally different things. The friction away bar on the hitch will help though.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Kleenex is a brand. But we say kleenex even when it's another brand.

Helwig is a sway bar.
"I put Helwigs on the rear" would be understood by a lot of folks.

You asked which manufacturer?

Helwig is the kleenex of sway bars.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Kleenex is a brand. But we say kleenex even when it's another brand.

Helwig is a sway bar.
"I put Helwigs on the rear" would be understood by a lot of folks.

You asked which manufacturer?

Helwig is the kleenex of sway bars.

Ohh, wait, umm....I see-lol

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Lol.

Are you stating that I DIDN'T confuse you?

An audience of hundreds and only one person can decipher my gibberish.

Better than none!
(Although it might should make you worry)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a lot to digest here. I suppose it’s better to err on the side of safety. I think payload will have to be my determining factor. Seems like towing capacity is more of a marketing gimmick more than an actual factor in what you can and can’t pull reasonably.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I would agree that cargo capacity is almost always the limit you hit before tow capacity, but I don't think that means tow capacity is a gimmick. It IS a marketing emphasis, of course, but the tow capacity is a real engineering limit.

I remember reading a review of some kind and it included an F150 towing a racecar (I think) around a track for many hours. The trailer and car were approaching the tow limit and it was clear that the overall packaging was perfectly designed to be "balanced" in a way that cargo capacity still had headroom left.

But yea, out in the real world our tow rigs aren't often designed that way. Bumper pull RV's almost always tax cargo over GCWR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am just about at the suggested limits figuring in what I normally carry in the truck. Will the active suspension add anything to that?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts