F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure this question has been asked before but oh well im gunna ask it again, i was wondering if i get a tune for my 13 fx2 if it would void my warranty?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most likely any repairs to the drive train (engine and transmission) would not be covered if you run a tune. Tuning (cranking up the boost) puts extra stress on parts that may not be designed for the additional power. I am not suggesting that you will break something, but if you do, it will be on you and not Ford.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Stage3 offers a package that provides a tuning ability while maintaining warranty. I'm not sure of the details about it. The scorcher module pumps the boost a little while still not voiding warranty. It's a plug and play system underneath your engine cover inside the hood. Many of us have put tunes on prior to warranties being up. You never know what will happen.. I believe my truck runs better as it is not a balance of all worlds utility truck (I don't tow much).

all in all... You practically tune at your own risk. I went with the risk, as I always do with my cars.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I was reading my Owner's Manual and I noticed that Ford states that even "repairs or maintenance" performed by the owner could void the warranty. Seems a little anal and I think Ford would have to prove the "repairs or maintenance" caused the problem. (I.E. If I do a tire rotation myself, I think I would get a lawyer if Ford wanted to claim it blew my tranny ... or that changing my air filter blew my rear differential).

My suggestion is, if the truck is brand-spanking new, drive it say 6-12 months until you feel comfortable with the truck. If you have no problems, then start making some "small mods" and go from there.

And if you are unlucky enough to buy a lemon, dump it and get something else.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In a word NO.
FOMOCO would have to prove the tune caused the failure to occur.
I have had a flash tune in my 2004 MACH1 since it had 59 miles on it. It has been in the shop for 3gear going out in the trans 3 times all covered by warranty and never was even asked about it. Also had an SLP chatted x pipe and BORLA cat back setup and my K&N FIPK intake on it EVERYTIME I took it in to the dealer.
Heck the 2nd time it was in they had it over two weeks and I was checking on it daily. Meet the regional ford rep one day and got to talking with him and in my "complaining" about 2nd time in for trans and long repair time he EXTENDED my WARRANTY to 5yrs 60k miles for FREE!
Don

·
Registered
537 Posts
In a word NO.
FOMOCO would have to prove the tune caused the failure to occur.
I have had a flash tune in my 2004 MACH1 since it had 59 miles on it. It has been in the shop for 3gear going out in the trans 3 times all covered by warranty and never was even asked about it. Also had an SLP chatted x pipe and BORLA cat back setup and my K&N FIPK intake on it EVERYTIME I took it in to the dealer.
Heck the 2nd time it was in they had it over two weeks and I was checking on it daily. Meet the regional ford rep one day and got to talking with him and in my "complaining" about 2nd time in for trans and long repair time he EXTENDED my WARRANTY to 5yrs 60k miles for FREE!
Don
Your Mustang is 9 years old, Ford has it would seem learned to write and include plenty of written notification in the owners manual as to there "OUT, EXCUSE OF LIABILITY".

I you read even the latest TSB on the intercooler, as it goes through the different steps for diagnosing the repair it makes mention of check for a change in tire/wheels and or aftermarket intake, it found bring to the attention of the customer the warranty section of aftermarket adds and installation.

Is Ford pushing their limits of possible warranty claim denials? I don't know, but it sure comes across very negative to the customer, at least in my mind. But, then if they were to allow even the change of an CAI and not say anything, then were do the draw the line on down the road.

Don't expect the legal stance to be on your side, Ford has to prove that aftermarket item caused the warranty claim. The have the engineers that have already done the homework to do that. Now you would have to prove that the aftermarket add on did not cause the problem and dispute the Ford engineers study, research and claim. The it moves on to who has the deepest legal pockets for fight to win. I can see two winners in the end, Ford and your attorney.

If I were to go with a tuner on a warranty covered Ecoboost, I would call Stage3 and look into there tuner that comes with a powertrain warranty included. Kind of like an insurance policy you don't want to have to use, but would be a comfort to the brain to know it is there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought a 3rd party 60K warrenty for 1/3 the cost of the dealer warranty. The dealer actually told me they don't accept 3rd party warranties and I found myself thinking like they are really going to turn down a check? Or the company writes me a check to reimburse me after I pay the dealer. In any case, I suspect the 3rd party insurance company would not have the mod stipulations that Ford has. Anyone?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 3rd party warranty is really just insurance. The dealer does the repair and the "warranty" company cuts them a check minus your deductable.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
.... it moves on to who has the deepest legal pockets for fight to win. I can see two winners in the end, Ford and your attorney....
Yup, that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. And Ford has much deeper pockets than most retail customers have at their disposal. Hell, you don't even have to modify your vehicle to not be covered. Ford only needs to claim you abused the vehicle in some fashion, say "Operating on an Off-Road".

Would Ford do that? I guess it depends how expensive the fix and how much they wish to keep you as a customer.

PS: I had another "make" a number of years back and I had made the normal modifications (intake, exhaust and new chip). The clutches in my Automatic started to "slip" after a few months of the mods. The manufacturer accepted the warranty claim and installed a brand new transmission (and upgraded one to boot). Interesting enough, I made further mods and over the next 10 years I owned the vehicle, I never had a problem with tranny again.

Did the mods kill the original tranny? Probably. Did the original tranny have an internal weakness? Probably. Did the Manufacturer know about the weakness? Most likely ... and that's why they replaced with a better and stronger tranny.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
This is a lead to a possibility for a solution. ProCal, Professional Engine Calibrations for Cold Air Kits and Superchargers - Ford Racing Performance Parts
Fords press release. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rmance-starts-with-ford-ecoboost-engines.html
. I'm gonna call to check warranty on Monday. I'll keep you posted. If anyone has anymore info about this let me know.
Ummmm, you excavated a thread from August of 2013 for links that have been discussed on here that don't relate to the F-150 EcoBoost . . .

Welcome to the forum, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts