F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to the forums as well as to owning an Ecoboost, switched from a Nissan Titan. I love everything about the Ecoboost! My buddy was talking to me about getting a tune for the truck for better performance, MPG's, etc. I already love the better MPG's compared to the Titan but I was wondering if there is a tune to get more MPG's out of it? If there is how many more MPG's do you get? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Here is what my Ecoboost looks like -

Attachments

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
There are some economy tunes out there, but most are with more of a focus on performance.

Be aware that if you tune, there is a very high likelihood that you will lose your warranty, so keep that in mind.

Above all else, welcome, and congrats on the new truck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang, losing the warranty would suck considering I paid for an extended for those what if situations! What if the tuner allows you to go back to stock tune would that void it? Sorry This whole tune thing is new to me! Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Someone just mentioned that if you return it to stock and drive a couple of hundred miles it clears the record of having been tuned.
Someone else just posted that they raced a tuned truck and may have blown the tranny. No chance of clearing the computer there. Could be an expensive lesson learned.
Personally, my truck has everything I bought it for with respect to performance. I bought it for transportation and fuel economy, it hauls my work trailer to the job site then gets me back & forth.
Aside from bolt on's and the front level I plan on leaving it alone. We already had a new engine installed in a another vehicle on our dime because we did not save receipts for oil changes. the warranty clearly stated that we should but who reads the warranty until you need it. FYI Ford warranty says you need to save them and may be asked to produce them for a warranty claim.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome! I am also pretty new here (been lurking for a while) and have been wondering the same thing about the tune! I could be wrong, but the general consensus is that bolt-ons for the most part are ok, but once you start going with tuners it voids the warranty. I really want one but due to the fact that I spent a good chunk of change for the extended I think i'll hold off on it for a while. Nice ride though! What rims are those?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The problem with tuning is the computer keeps track of how many times it had been programmed. So if you tune it and the revert it to stock before any work. The shop can check the computer for that counter. If the counter has changed then they know it has been tuned and could void your warrenty right there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! Looks like I am gonna play it safe and not touch the tune at all. The rims are XD series, not sure which series but the tires are Toyo MT Open Country 17's.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Any and all information you could ever want regarding tuning can be found in the top right corner in the search bar.. It is a very detailed and controversial topic. Some love it and tune every vehicle (me) and some refuse to touch the computer (mostly people who tow regularly).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I cannot speak for other tuning companies but in the 10 years I have worked for SCT, I have never had an instance where a customer who installed an SCT programmer had their warranty voided by the dealership after the vehicle was returned back to stock.
We also use the same IDS scan tool Ford uses and have never seen the "counter feature" anywhere in the scanner. Not saying that its not there, just saying we've never seen it..

My PCM is flashed 2-3 times a week for testing, I have had my truck at the dealer twice with no issues. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I cannot speak for other tuning companies but in the 10 years I have worked for SCT, I have never had an instance where a customer who installed an SCT programmer had their warranty voided by the dealership after the vehicle was returned back to stock.
We also use the same IDS scan tool Ford uses and have never seen the "counter feature" anywhere in the scanner. Not saying that its not there, just saying we've never seen it..

My PCM is flashed 2-3 times a week for testing, I have had my truck at the dealer twice with no issues. Hope this helps...
Amen! I have tuned every ford I have had for the past 10 years and some have been to the dealers for work and I have never had a problem. This enormous fear people have of a voided warranty is crazy to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well in that case I might just tune it. Do you guys know of any tunes that produce more MPG's? Like I said I am very pleased with what I am getting now just wasn't sure if I get a tuner that has like 3 options didn't know if there is a tune that gives you more?

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
118 Posts

im ordering a sct tune very soon! Your post just sealed the deal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reactions: scap99
1 - 16 of 16 Posts