F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 5 Star Tune for my 2018 3.5 . The temp outside was 45 deg . Yes did have to play with the 93 performance tune that night . I ran her pretty hard 130 mph plus , My coolant temp on my scanner got up to 235 pretty quick , but it dropped to 212 just as quick . I just scanned my truck a few minutes ago it had a past code for high coolant temp . Is or has anyone seen that high coolant temp with a tune and if so what did you do to remedy the situation . Yes I did notice my fans were running allot that night allot more than before . The needle gauge on my dash was only a little past the middle though .

· Registered
601 Posts
Run it hard, it's gonna heat up.

I have only seen temps that high when towing a steep grade in 100 degree heat. I run a 10 degree cooler thermostat and am usually in the 180-190 range.

You could try a lower temp stat and if that doesn't do it, upgrade your radiator, intercooler, etc.

I run the 5star 91 perf/tow tune.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,706 Posts
He might have been in Mexico?
It's currently pretty warm too, so at the sustained boost he was likely holding, those are NORMAL ECTs. :)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just did some research . I am going to change it to 180 deg thermostat . i just went on a 16 mile drive and it still got up to 220 and I stayed in eco mode 58 mph . To hot for my likings .

· Registered
114 Posts
Just did some research . I am going to change it to 180 deg thermostat . i just went on a 16 mile drive and it still got up to 220 and I stayed in eco mode 58 mph . To hot for my likings .
Not sure how it could be the tune. What are your mods? Is it just the tune? I've been running my '18 3.5 hard since I got her...never seen temps above 220...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure how it could be the tune. What are your mods? Is it just the tune? I've been running my '18 3.5 hard since I got her...never seen temps above 220...
5 Stars 93 perf tune . I also upgraded to the performance colder spark plugs . I haven't checked my louvers to see if they are working properly , but as senesitve as the ecm is with sensors i would have thought if they weren't it would throw a malf light . I just ordered the SPD 180 thermostat . it does seem like the the thermostat may be sticking a little . And never having a scanner to read my actual numbers on coolant temp I wouldn't have known any different . i just have the basic temp gauge no numbers on it .

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,706 Posts
Highly recommend OEM thermostat.
Many folks around here ended up returning to them after taking similar approaches to battling sudden higher temps.
Ford redesigned the thermostat.
The original very well could be misbehaving.

· Registered
114 Posts
I also upgraded to the performance colder spark plugs.
I tried colder spark plugs, but as hard as I'm running her and being my daily driver, I just wasn't getting the plugs hot enough for them to self clean...so they were carboning up pretty fast. So I just went back to the stock plugs.

I thought you would be able to see your temps in your dash...

Reactions: Mulyhuntr

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Highly recommend OEM thermostat.
Many folks around here ended up returning to them after taking similar approaches to battling sudden higher temps.
Ford redesigned the thermostat.
The original very well could be misbehaving.
Yes I agree with what you are saying . The reason I went with the 180 thermostat is I read Ford puts them in the mustangs 3.5 . Also if there is a problem in the cooling system it will still run the high temps . It acts like the thermostat is sticking when I slow down off the highway the temp dropped quick almost 10 deg in a matter of seconds like the thermostat was trying to open . From what I found the oem was 195 . I am a mechanic for 20 plus years not a engineer that is getting hot , but they run engines allot hotter than they used to Jeep TJs run 210 all day long .

· Registered
10,695 Posts
A 180F tstat wont fix anything that a new stock temp stat wont.

I ran a 180 for a while and made zero difference in my towing temperatures

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried colder spark plugs, but as hard as I'm running her and being my daily driver, I just wasn't getting the plugs hot enough for them to self clean...so they were carboning up pretty fast. So I just went back to the stock plugs.

I thought you would be able to see your temps in your dash...
Not on the cheap dash just a needle .

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The one thing a 180 thermostat will do is let the coolant circulate a little sooner which will help with cooling as long as the radiator and the rest of the cooling system are keeping up . The 93 perf tune added just 100 hp . Old school was HP = heat .

· Registered
10,695 Posts
The one thing a 180 thermostat will do is let the coolant circulate a little sooner which will help with cooling as long as the radiator and the rest of the cooling system are keeping up . The 93 perf tune added just 100 hp . Old school was HP = heat .
The cooling systems in these trucks dont seem so be able to cool much more than 250-300 hp sustained so I could see 500+ being an issue if you stand on it for a while. In the summer my truck will overheat at about 250 hp pulling grades with my trailer.

The best fixes seem to be an oil cooler and a Full Race or Mishimoto radiator upgrade

· Registered
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,311 Posts
Run the newer style plastic center insert OEM style thermostat. I’ve yet to see over 212 and I seen the same temps with the 180.

· Moderstrator
4,957 Posts
I checked it tonight after a 45 min drive coolant temp up to 225 cruise on 58 mph in eco mode . When i got home the louvers are open . I found the top radiator hose hot and the bottom ice cold . I believe my thermostat is sticking .
Yeah, that ain't good. That or a clogged radiator or a pump that has lost its fins.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts