F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew Sterling Gray/Black
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I recently tuned my truck and at first loved the extra power until I felt a shudder. From a complete stop I mashed the pedal and watched as the truck went through the gears. I felt a huge shudder as it went into 4th and the CEL came on.

I did some reading and assumed it was a misfire. I thought since it is new to me and now that it has a performance tube I should change the plugs. I replaced them with P-580s and gapped them at .028.

Since then I haven’t gotten the CEL but it appears the truck is hitting the rev limiter when changing gears. From a complete stop I can mash the pedal, squeal the tires, and take off but it will eventually hit the limiter around 3rd or 4th and not shift all the way through before I get to 60mph. If I were in a drag race I’d have to lift and not be able to accelerate at WOT.

If I need to make some custom changes to the shifting on my tuner, what settings are ideal?
what do you all have set for the rev limiter and shift points?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Since you are tuned, it’s entirely based on who wrote the tune.

The preloaded tunes for Bullydog/Sct 11-14 trucks have the limiter bumped up to 6,750 and keep stock shift points/speeds. But there are different WOT RPM shift speeds. I would not touch any of the options anyways and reach out to a reputable company.

Then I would highly recommend you datalog the tune and then send that over to your tuner. Along with any questions or changes you would like made. From there they would revise it to your liking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a Bully Dog GT. I used the following perimeters:
Power - Performance
Transmission - Custom
Rev limiter - 6200
Shift points - not changed
axle ratio - 3.73
Torque management- enabled
Tires - 33.15
Top speed - 150mph

I tried the performance tune without adjusting anything else but the shift were hard so I decided to fiddle a bit.

So I think I should either adjust my shift points to lower settings to shift before my rev limiter or raise my rev limiter rpm. I was afraid to set it too high to protect the engine and trans.

what do you guys have the n your trucks?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I have a Bully Dog GT. I used the following perimeters:
Power - Performance
Transmission - Custom
Rev limiter - 6200
Shift points - not changed
axle ratio - 3.73
Torque management- enabled
Tires - 33.15
Top speed - 150mph

I tried the performance tune without adjusting anything else but the shift were hard so I decided to fiddle a bit.

So I think I should either adjust my shift points to lower settings to shift before my rev limiter or raise my rev limiter rpm. I was afraid to set it too high to protect the engine and trans.

what do you guys have the n your trucks?
You could try lowering the shift point 100 rpm at a time and see.

We keep hearing about people having issues with the plug-n-play/canned tunes. I hate to say it, but you really should have gone with an SCT or nGauge device and grabbed a "custom" tune from one of the shops. That way, if you have an issue like this, the tuner can help tweak the tune and make it right.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Actually I am wrong and I believe the Bullydog GT uses separate preloads compared to the X4 and BDX. Some companies do offer custom tunes for the GT but not a lot.

I agree with Mass and going the route of Ngauge,X4, or BDX would’ve been the better call. I imagine if you purchased that GT new you can return and/or exchange.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try lowering the shift point 100 rpm at a time and see.

We keep hearing about people having issues with the plug-n-play/canned tunes. I hate to say it, but you really should have gone with an SCT or nGauge device and grabbed a "custom" tune from one of the shops. That way, if you have an issue like this, the tuner can help tweak the tune and make it right.
I’ll see if I can sell this tuner and pick up a better one but for my own information, what are the parameters you guys with custom tunes have set for your trucks?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
The average consumer doesn’t know those parameters as it’s all on who wrote the tune. Differs greatly from tuner to tuner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The average consumer doesn’t know those parameters as it’s all on who wrote the tune. Differs greatly from tuner to tuner.
OK Thanks guys! I'm on a $300 budget & looking at some SCT's right now. I can get a RevX, X4 or a Livewire TS for the same price. Which would you choose?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all I recently tuned my truck and at first loved the extra power until I felt a shudder. From a complete stop I mashed the pedal and watched as the truck went through the gears. I felt a huge shudder as it went into 4th and the CEL came on.

I did some reading and assumed it was a misfire. I thought since it is new to me and now that it has a performance tube I should change the plugs. I replaced them with P-580s and gapped them at .028.

Since then I haven’t gotten the CEL but it appears the truck is hitting the rev limiter when changing gears. From a complete stop I can mash the pedal, squeal the tires, and take off but it will eventually hit the limiter around 3rd or 4th and not shift all the way through before I get to 60mph. If I were in a drag race I’d have to lift and not be able to accelerate at WOT.

If I need to make some custom changes to the shifting on my tuner, what settings are ideal?
what do you all have set for the rev limiter and shift points?
OK So, for those of you who care or who find this thread because you had the same problem here is what I did:

Raised my Rev Limiter to 6,200K
Changed my WOT shift points to:
1-2: 5,650
2-3: 5,600
3-4: 5,400
4-5: 5,200
5-6: 4,900

I know some guys say their trucks are still making good HP until 5,800rpm but I wanted mine to shift earlier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts