F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on the forum (somewhere...) about some aftermarket "tuning" that is available from several sources.

Have any of you folks used "Tuning" on your trucks... as the vast majority of the time the truck will just be commuting around town it would seem helpful to have a "tune" that would de-rate the power output towards an economy setting.

I contacted one of the tuners I saw mentioned but they did not have an "economy" tune, just tow and performance.

Thank you

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
There are multiple companies that offer tuning options. A few of us run tunes on here. I run Livernois tunes for multiple reasons. I would highly suggest doing research on each tuning company, then decide if that's the route you want to go.

A tune does absolute wonders for an ecoboost BUT it will void your factory warranty. The issue of red lashing to stock to avoid detection is never ending and many people have had differing experiences with dealerships.

Do massive research before considering to tune or not...

·
Vendor
1,044 Posts
Sounds like you will want a "Can Tune" and not a custom tune. I run a edge CTS tuner on my 2011 Eco. It has an 87 economy tune that will give power an still drives like stock. I can drive around easy and never get into boost. Just last weekend I got 21.5 MPG on a road trip, not bad with all the mods we have on our ecoboost project truck.

Also I dont see in your sig what year your truck is, but if its a 2013 be very careful with tuning.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like you will want a "Can Tune" and not a custom tune. I run a edge CTS tuner on my 2011 Eco. It has an 87 economy tune that will give power an still drives like stock. I can drive around easy and never get into boost. Just last weekend I got 21.5 MPG on a road trip, not bad with all the mods we have on our ecoboost project truck.

Also I dont see in your sig what year your truck is, but if its a 2013 be very careful with tuning.
What about the 2013 should we be wary of when it comes to tuning?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Two tuners that I know offering an economy tune is Mike over at 5 Star and Mike at MPT. These are both custom tunes. As for a tune added to a truck no matter the model year is that just like everything else that is added and is not factory supplied as OEM equipment they all come with an "inherent risk factor".

If your comfort level allows for adding a tune, then by all means do so. If your comfort level of adding a tune makes you feel unsure or uneasy in the gut do to concerns of future warranty issues, then sometimes your better to follow your gut instinct.

If it is pure economy that you are looking for, you already have the needed program....it is simple control of your right foot as you apply it to the gas-n-go pedal. Keep it under 2K RPM, don't be aggressive on take off and you will see your better MPG numbers. Not to mention that my using this method of right foot economy tune you will have already saved the $380 to $600 that a tuner and custom tunes would have cost you out of pocket.

·
Vendor
1,044 Posts
what he said

The 2013 computer is really touchy when it comes to tuning. If you look alot of the tuners only tune 11-12. The 13 has given all of the major tuning companies fits, some (Superchips and Diablo) offered a 2013 tune and then stopped offering it for a short time. Ford is continuing to make it harder and harder to tune the new computers. I have heard from one tuning company the the 2017 will be nearly impossible to aftermarket tune. Thats also what they said about the 6.7L F250s and everyone figured that out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
An economy tune??? Isn't that what Ford gives you from the factory?
Seriously though, just go with the Livernois setup. You can get 4 tunes for the same price...so you can get an 87 fuel tune that'll give you power but not cost you any more in fuel costs. Just because it's a performance tune, it can still be done on the lowest-cost fuel...then, like mentioned before, it's up to you right foot from there.
Livernois does tune 2013. I have it and love it. Of course I run the 93 octane tune. I also have the 87 tune just in case fuel were to go sky-high (not that it isn't now).
Good luck.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the SCT tuner on mine and like it alot. Ran the lowest 87 tune for a few months and bumped it up to 93 tune and its a night/day difference!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts