F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock Ecoboost.

What would be the best steps to modify a stock truck for performance?

I see a lot of people start w/an AFE Stage II intake, then pipes, then programmer. Then maybe a throttle body or a blade runner.

I have always understood that a CAI or exhaust would not make that much a difference.

Would it be ok to start out w/a tune for the truck then add the other stuff as I go along?

Thanks for your time.

-Al

·
Registered
577 Posts
That's pretty much what i did. Tune then exhaust after then intake then downpipes

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Exhaust #1. The put the very restrictive 5.0L muffler & such onto the EB. It needs to breathe. So if you tune it first or CAI or whatever. It still ain't gonna go anywhere fast. IMO that's what I've read. I have an AFE stage 2 but, now I'm saving up for the heartthrob exhaust.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
O I think a ton of people did that. If you search performance & I think there is a thread on tune. But I think get it all free flowing before you really pump out the power

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
You can look at it one of two ways... You can get all the supporting mods that won't make TOO much of a difference without a tune, or you could get a tune then incorporate all the supporting mods and get the full effect of those supporting mods.

intake alone or exhaust alone will provide slight to minimal power increase (exhaust being more important). The tune will incorporate those mods and give full power output that those mods have the potential of doing.

If you're going for power, I'd go tune, intake, exhaust, CAC, charge pipe, 170*, throttle body drop kit, and tires.

if you're real serious, turbo upgrades, fuel system upgrade, and a lot of money.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I have a stock Ecoboost.

What would be the best steps to modify a stock truck for performance?

I see a lot of people start w/an AFE Stage II intake, then pipes, then programmer. Then maybe a throttle body or a blade runner.

I have always understood that a CAI or exhaust would not make that much a difference.

Would it be ok to start out w/a tune for the truck then add the other stuff as I go along?

Thanks for your time.

-Al
Tune, first.
Then update it as you add bolt ons...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input.

-Al

@2Canches. No problem with the intercooler. What would be the advantage of changing the intercooler?

·
Registered
13,052 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am doing all the bolt on upgrades first and then doing the tune when the warranty has run out. Right now I have the aFe Stage2 CAI, aFe 4in exhaust, BBK Throttle Body, and bladerunner pipe sitting in the box for me to take back to alaska and install. It is personal preference though. If you want to have that big boost up front then get the tuner first and then add parts and update the tune as you go.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was told by my dealer that anything i physically changed on my truck other than plug and play programmer would void warranty. Anyone heard this before. The tuner will also void if something happens while tunes and can't change back to stock form.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It really depends on your relationship with the dealer, and more specifically your service advisor and tech.

I have had several modified Shelbys, mustang GT's and now my Ecoboost and they have no issues with my mods. I am upfront with them about what I have and what I want done and there has never been an issue. Had warranty work done on my GT500 for faulty fuel pumps twice while modded covered under warranty with tunes loaded. That relationship is key...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts