F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the future i'd like to add a tuner/programmer to my truck once i get a few more miles on it. I do tow my TT pretty often so whatever tuner i get i want to make sure it's good for decent performance but also safe for towing. I do not want to be switching tunes back and forth a few times a week. I'd just like to program the truck for the fuel i'm running and let it ride.

I'm debating between the SCT 3015 and the Hypertech Max energy. I do realize that the SCT can be loaded with a variety of aftermarket tunes from different vendors so that is a plus. I've also seen that their canned tunes are pretty good. Are their tunes safe for towing?

It seems that the hypertech has pretty impressive numbers as well. Their 91 octane tune seems to be as strong as SCT's 93 tune? I've always had good luck with Hypertech's stuff in the past. I contacted them earlier this week and they said that i can tow the trucks max capacity with either the 87 or 91 tunes.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I believe 5 star has a street / tow file. I'm not sure about the canned tunes as I always get a custom file.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I guess what i'm getting at is i'm not trying to have the fastest ecoboost on the forum. I just want safe tunes with decent power that i can daily drive or tow with. Has anyone towed with either the hypertech or SCT tunes?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to SCT and they said that their tune is also safe tow the max towing capacity. SCT or Hypertech anyone?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you decide?
Haven't ordered yet, but it's next on my list. I"m probably going to go with the SCT 3015 with 5 5 star tunes. It seems their 87 perf/tow and 93 perf/tow are pretty good tunes for everyday driving and towing. The 3015 SCT's can hold 10 custom tunes now, so i'll have 5 open slots in the tuner should i decide to try some one elses tunes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was glad to see this post. I'm in the same boat and want a solid tune that corrects for larger tires and will be good for towing and daily use without swapping back and forth.

After days of research and a few calls I think I'm in the exact same place you are. I like the versatility of the SCT platform so one of their canned tunes or a five star perf/towing will be the one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts