F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best/most understandable/plain English advice on a tuner for a newbie!

Just bought a 2012 XLT long bed, super crew, 3.55 rear end. I will be doing a six inch lift with 35's, AFE intake, possibly down pipe, possibly exhaust. I've never had anything chipped or tuned. I see you guys talking very advanced about them so I know you know the answer. I've driven a couple chipped diesels but that's about the extent of my experience with them. What is the best to get? How do they work? I do plenty of freeway, canyons, and trailering. And I wouldn't mind smoking someone at a stop light from time to time.

Let's see how good of a "Tuners 101" you guys can put together here!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'd first request the dropping of the word "best", everyone's tune is the best for them, or they would be running a different tune.

There's a few different handheld devices on the market.
SCT and the Livernois are the most proliferate.
SCT allows you to purchase a custom tune from a myriad of tuners.
Each tuner offers a vast array of choices with their custom tunes.

You'll need, at minimum, a pc or laptop running Windows to update an SCT device, load a custom tune into the device, and to log your truck.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I will give you my take on it...

SCT makes 2 main devices now. A X4, this is their new handheld unit that has a lot of capability such as gauges built in for monitoring, color screen, wifi capable, etc. And they have the Livewire, also touch screen, lots of options built in, but it is an older unit at this point. Each has the capability to load a custom tune from the tuner of your choice. A custom tune will unlock a lot more potential from your vehicle than the standard tunes that come on each device. Scap99 is correct, you will need some sort of windows based PC in order to update, load custom tunes, etc.

I personally think the X4 unit is the best bang for the buck. But I am a little biased since I sell them... ;)

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Good Luck with your choice!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give you my take on it... SCT makes 2 main devices now. A X4, this is their new handheld unit that has a lot of capability such as gauges built in for monitoring, color screen, wifi capable, etc. And they have the Livewire, also touch screen, lots of options built in, but it is an older unit at this point. Each has the capability to load a custom tune from the tuner of your choice. A custom tune will unlock a lot more potential from your vehicle than the standard tunes that come on each device. Scap99 is correct, you will need some sort of windows based PC in order to update, load custom tunes, etc. I personally think the X4 unit is the best bang for the buck. But I am a little biased since I sell them... ;) Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Good Luck with your choice!
So what is your pricing on the X4?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I went the cheaper route and bought a used SCT X3 handheld tuner from a member on here ($300) then started to contact tuning companies and got info from them on how their tuning would best fit MY needs. Call companies like MPT, LET, SSi, 5 Star, and there are a few more. Read all you can on here about what tunes can do what.

Bottom line: pick a octane of gas you want to run (87,89,91,93), then ask/answer yourself these questions: what do i do with my truck (daily driver, racing, towing, etc), do I want stock like shifting, firm, hard shifting? after you have answered all these questions on our own, time to call the companies and tell them the answers to these questions and they will tell you what they offer.

For example, I use my truck as a daily driver, rarely tow/haul, but wanted power and better MPG if possible. I chose a company that fit my bill and was safe to for the motor and price of the tunes plays into it as well. Ordered 2 tunes, 87 octane performance and 87 octane tow. I use the perf tune most. I also run 89 octane gas in the truck, but if I have to I can run 87 without switching tunes. This is just my .02, I just went through all this about 2 months ago.

Reactions: VolForLife

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
OP, good luck ... Just do your research...there is plenty to be had. And like Scap said... Careful how you use that "B" word. Wars have been fought for less...literally.

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to throw it out there, I live right next to Edge Products based in Utah. What's the consensus on their tuner?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just to throw it out there, I live right next to Edge Products based in Utah. What's the consensus on their tuner?
I might get corrected but I see very little about edge tunes for the ecoboost. I think they were in the game earlier on but got passed up quickly and never really came back. Imo there are far better choices out there now!

MPT tuned....Kings of the Street!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
No harm in asking but yeah I agree, they have been heavily Cummins and Power Stroke leaning for the most part.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sct is probably the best option for ford. They have canned tunes you can run plus it gives you the option to run custom tunes if you choose to. The custom tuning world has really blown up over the last 6 months to a year. Many many options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
OP, good luck ... Just do your research...there is plenty to be had. And like Scap said... Careful how you use that "B" word. Wars have been fought for less...literally.

Arrgh!
Lol

Check your email, I sent you something special.... ;-)

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
TWSS

The boost will set you free

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Arrgh!
Lol

Check your email, I sent you something special.... ;-)
Hahahahahaha OMG....I had no idea I was THAT important!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
SCT Livewire is the way to go. Just load the canned tune and see if you need more from there.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
And how about a definition of "canned"?
2. informalderogatory

(of music, laughter, or applause) prerecorded and therefore considered to be lacking in freshness and spontaneity.

The canned tunes are a bit more conservative than a custom tune as it's meant to work with the greatest number of trucks as opposed to a custom tune tailored to your specific truck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the tuner will come with some canned tunes that are a one-size-fits all, and from there custom tunes can be purchased? And is that like an email download you buy?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts