F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ADVISORY WARNING:
This is going to be a long post (some might say bordering on rambling), so if you’re not up for reading it I respect that. I have been mulling this over for a couple of days, and have asked a couple of the moderators about creating this thread. Since I’m about to bust at the eyeballs, here goes.

I think 99.9% of us would agree that the tunes/tuners/tuning debate has gotten ridiculously out of hand. Every time I click on my tapatalk app, I have to chud past half a dozen threads of guys calling each other names like pre-schoolers in a sandbox. I’m skeptical, but based on the success (so far) of our “Firearms without Debate” thread, I am hoping that we can move most of it HERE. I’m asking you guys to have a little empathy, especially for the new members who come in here (like I did) all excited about their new truck purchase, and looking for ideas, opinions, advice, and help. And we all know that some sort of a programmer is one of the very first things many EcoBoost owners begin their quest with.

I would estimate that 98% of the members here are generally respectful to each other, and try to be helpful to all, especially to new members. Even when we are sarcastic smart-a$$es, it’s all in fun. I mess with Pinero about being a Rigid Industries minion, and he jabs me back about being “old school” KC. But it’s all in fun and without name-calling and disrespect. So can we make this the thread that we all air out our opinions, trash-talk, vitriol, etc, so that when a new member does a search for “tuner” – that he can actually find some useful information instead of plowing through a bunch of hater posts, and probably get scared off and head to another forum?

The moderators only issued 2 basic rules/requests/warnings, whatever you wanna call it.

1. Stay away from personal attacks on other forum members.
  2. Do not use any abusive language.
If you think about it, when you resort to name-calling and four letter words, it only tells the other party two things:

1. You have a very limited vocabulary
  2. You have already forfeited the point you were trying so passionately to make.

OK, So I will start. If you want to roll your eyes and say that I don’t know what I’m talking about, or worse, call me an idiot or question my sexual orientation, that’s cool. I will simply let out a sigh, click the ignore button on your user name, and remind myself that you’re simply a punk that most likely, my daughter could whip your butt. Unless you are one of the members here whom I respect and appreciate input from, there is a 100% chance that I do not care what your opinion of my opinions are. For the purposes of this thread, I hope you feel the same way.

First thing, the SSi saga….enough already. If you want to vent on SSi, please bring in to THIS thread. You guys can tell each other how wrong you are til the cows come home for all I care, but if you at least keep it here, the rest of us don’t have to chud through your SSi flame-and-defend war. I don’t know the company or the owner. So my opinion is based simply on this, which will segue to my next point……The reason(s) that I would not do business with SSi, or a company like that, is simply how they talk about and treat their customers. A social media handle like “Socal Diablo” should give you a clue, assuming you can decipher what that means. To each his own, but I don’t understand how any business can survive with that sort of “social” behavior and customer service. I’ve been doing this a long time, and as I’ve said before, no “guru” knows everything there is to know about any particular subject. Even the world’s greatest brain surgeon may still learn something today about the human brain that he didn’t know yesterday. Anyone that tells you that they know “everything” about ANYTHING should be a gigantic red flag to you as a potential customer….in any arena.

So, the other question that constantly nags me about this subject….guys that “max-tune” their trucks when they use them for daily transportation. Don’t get me wrong, I like quick/fast daily transportation. That’s one reason I went with the EcoBoost engine, and the main reason that I’ve had other quick daily driver cars most of my life. I also "get" going to the drag strip once in a while for “test and tune” night, just to see some real evidence of what the performance mods that you spent your hard-earned money on, do or do not do in the world of quicker/faster. But it seems to me, that much of this tuner war debate is very drag-race centric, and guys push their trucks past a REASONABLY safe limit to out-run each other, or brag about their time slips, when maybe they should just build (or buy) a race car and TOW it with their F150.

Again, I "get" driving your truck (or Mustang, etc) to the track, swapping your rear tires for some drag radials, and betting your buddy a case of beer that you can smoke his a$$....racing, and then driving home to collect your beer. Fun! Been there, done that. But at the end of the day, you still have to drive that vehicle to work tomorrow. I cut my teeth in the performance and racing industry at a nationally known engine builder at the time. We had guys call every day, wanting us to build them a 12,11,10 second (normally aspirated) engine for their Camaro to drive on the street. At some point, you have to tell the guy….look man, I’m not trying to be rude, but you’re going to have to pick between a race car and a daily driver, because you can’t have both in the same car!

So, here’s where you guys are welcome to rag on me, just save the name-calling and four letter words. Please be a grownup. But this is the one thread that I hope we can all vent on, and let the others be helpful to the members at large. As stated above, I understand the “need for speed” and I have what some of you guys love to call a “canned tune”. I have customers and friends that are in fact, custom tuners, and are experts in their particular fields (still doesn’t mean that any one of them knows everything there is to know). At some point, it is quite possible that I will run a MILD custom tune in my truck. But today, I run an 87oct “canned” tune on 89oct (winter) fuel. That’s it. I also don’t worry about dealer “voids your warranty” scare tactics. I don’t re-flash my vehicles back to stock before they go into the dealer either. And if I really want to race, I will build (another) racecar, or buy a quad or (another) dirt bike...and HAUL it to the track with my new truck. I don’t know how many of you guys work at, attend, or participate in REAL drag races, (and I don’t mean Saturday night bracket racing with the local yahoos), but if you do, 99.9% of the trucks you see in the pits, are TOW vehicles that will never make a pass down the track. And other than the occasional “test and tune” run for fun…I don’t get why guys think their F150’s are supposed to be racecars. I may be 100% wrong, but it is MY OPINION that most of the members joining this forum and searching for tuner information are closer to my side of the field, than the “max-tuned” guys that think their trucks are racecars. Bash on brothers….I can promise you that I don't claim to know everything about anything! ….:cool:

2014-03-14 13.45.07.jpg

·
Registered
869 Posts
What is the purpose of this thread? I don't have time to read your novel. ;)

Where did you get the cool PCM port cover?

Reactions: ford4thot

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the purpose of this thread? I don't have time to read your novel. ;)

Where did you get the cool PCM port cover?
LOL...had it forever...I think Daystar makes it if I remember right. About 15 bucks from Jeg's I think.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My f150 can tow, daily drive , grocery shop, get a hair cut, haul the family around and still go to the track.

I have beaten plenty of muscle cars at the track.

*Sent By Leading Edge Tuning !

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But, but, I want a 10 second bullet proof daily driver.....
I know sir....call 1-800-NOT-EVER...they can help you.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My f150 can tow, daily drive , grocery shop, get a hair cut, haul the family around and still go to the track.

Quite sure that's true bro....to my point....those are also DAILY DRIVERS....NOT race cars....:D

·
Registered
750 Posts
Can I get machine guns too?

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You some beaches have nothing to do huh....LOL

·
Registered
750 Posts
actually in all truthfulness I think this thread will turn out to be very beneficial :)

Reactions: VolForLife

·
Registered
9,640 Posts

Your truck has hair?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
All I have to contribute is MY tune is better than YOUR tune :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2Canches

·
Registered
805 Posts
Is it boosted Mike?
My CTS-V can daily drive, works great and runs 10's. Drag radials in AZ are fine for DD, it rains about 3 times a year, those days I can drive something else. Yes it's supercharged (LSA) :p With the flex fuel setup I can swap between 91 and E85 and any mix in between automatically in the tune with the ethanol sensor. Sure it get's 8mpg on E85 and 12mpg on 91 but you didn't say it had to get great gas mileage (18MPG at 75 on 91)

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My CTS-V can daily drive, works great and runs 10's. Drag radials in AZ are fine for DD, it rains about 3 times a year, those days I can drive something else. Yes it's supercharged (LSA) :p With the flex fuel setup I can swap between 91 and E85 and any mix in between automatically in the tune with the ethanol sensor. Sure it get's 8mpg on E85 and 12mpg on 91 but you didn't say it had to get great gas mileage (18MPG at 75 on 91)
LOL...touche' and for disclaimer purposes....I DID say "normally aspirated". Back then, (in the 90's) there weren't too many options for anything remotely tame/streetable in regards to power adders that would fit under a stock (or low-pro cowl induction) hood....other than just basically stroking to A LOT of cubic inches for pump gas! :cool:

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Lots of people DD stock gtr's

The boost will set you free

1 - 20 of 309 Posts