F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Can theses transmissions really handle the power someone y'all are putting to them or is there a max hp and tq to stay under...just wondering....just took scorcher off my truck it wasn't working and gna prob just get a normal tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6R80 trans on our trucks is also used on the F250 & F350 super duty trucks. . . they should handle 500 hp easily. I don't
plan on stretching the envelope that much, I'm happy with modest gains myself

I don't think anyone on this forum or the f150 forums are running modded trannies, and I only know of one guy that has had any issues. Only time will tell though.

These transmissions are bulletproof! Build away with confidence!

SPPD

Reactions: scap99
I had my truck running cai, tbs, top mount intercooler, 3" cat-less d/p's, 4" cat back and tuned. Still works fine, and I beat the crap out of it some days and racing tuned diesels, etc.
there's guys now running more powerful and aggressive tunes & water/meth kits. I think you should be good.

Many people using the 6R80 in mustangs with 500-1000rwhp with no issues for years now

I was misinformed, but they are capable of putting 1000 HP to the ground with mild modifications for the Mustangs.

The 6.2 V8 uses the 6R80 though
The 'boost makes the same or better torque than the 6.2....

But the mustang guys are doing some amazing things without needing to rework the trans.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've been looking into tranny mods for the last few hours. I'm really interested in a higher rev torque converter like the hemi guys are running. Apparently it makes for huge gains in the 1/4, but I don't know if it'll still be suitable for towing.

I've been looking into tranny mods for the last few hours. I'm really interested in a higher rev torque converter like the hemi guys are running. Apparently it makes for huge gains in the 1/4, but I don't know if it'll still be suitable for towing.
call and talk to Circle D Specialties.
I think it's Chris that you want to talk to...
He's a torque converter genius, and will steer you in the right direction.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Lotta good information thanks guys!!! I was just worried cuz I used to have a f250 I was pushing 600 hp and 1300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels....and well the tranny and engine both held up for about 50 g miles... But i got rid of it shortly after....thinking it didn't last to much longer.....it held up good when I was blowing doors off of just about anything on the road....sitting on 40s lol don't think I wanna take my EcoBEAST there just yet haha maybe halfway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A higher stall converter, all other things being equal will create more heat than the lower stall unit. In the unlocked condition, vanes within the converter are moving much more fluid than is actually being transmitted to the drivetrain. This is what allows the engine to rev higher, and get into a sweeter spot of the powerband quicker than the OEM unit. The by product of the unlocked converter is heat. The number one enemy of any transmission is heat. Simplistically stated a higher stall converter will create more heat than the original unit.

There's quite a bit that can be done with our transmission with programming alone. The conditions and gear of which the converter locks up. The OEM tow haul locks the converter sooner in gear sequencing and at a lower RPM to one apply more power directly to the drivetrain, the second reason is to avoid creating heat.

The negative of tow haul is the increased RPM's is a negative on fuel economy, that's a given.

This can't be stated enough and converter is a matched combination to the engine capabilities. Erroring the configuration of the converter like stall speed in what gears and when the converter locks up can drastically affect vehicle performance.

A converter change, one can really hit or miss the mark as one change typically has an inverse and direct impact to other characteristic. With a previous vehicle I owned I ended up losing boost because the converter was too lose for the engines power and RPM range. Lost around 5 to 6 psi. The vehicle was actually quicker in ET, but MPH was off 8mph in the quarter. Thus a making a change or multiples to the converter would be necessary to keep the ET benefit and regain the mph by locking up the converter sooner in the higher gears. There's a science and some art in getting the converter right for the application intended.

IMHO an higher stall converter increases the probably of durability issues of your transmission if used in towing situations. Now how high is higher, 200rpm, or 1500 rpm increase?. Its these details that matter and will allow one to assess impact positive and negative.

The 6R80 trans on our trucks is also used on the F250 & F350 super duty trucks. . . they should handle 500 hp easily. I don't
plan on stretching the envelope that much, I'm happy with modest gains myself
No.... The 6r140 is used the 250 and 350 trucks. I am a trans builder for the dealer and thus far this has been a phenomenal unit...they got a ton of clutch inside

No.... The 6r140 is used the 250 and 350 trucks. I am a trans builder for the dealer and thus far this has been a phenomenal unit...they got a ton of clutch inside
I got my info from the Full Race website, where they state the following:

"The use of a properly geared six-speed transmission provides improves fuel economy 4-6 percent. This F-150 '6R80' six-speed is a solid and proven transmission from the SuperDuty F-250 and F-350.
6R80 also features a Tow/Haul mode and FX4 includes "Hill Descent Control" from the Raptor."

"The use of a properly geared six-speed transmission provides improves fuel economy 4-6 percent. This F-150 '6R80' six-speed is a solid and proven transmission from the SuperDuty F-250 and F-350.
6R80 also features a Tow/Haul mode and FX4 includes "Hill Descent Control" from the Raptor."
The 6R80 is currently used in the mustang and f150. The current f250 uses the 6r140 transmissions. I guess they mean that's basically a scaled down version of the 140, but it's not the same tranny.

Ford Introduces New Automatic Transmission on 2011 Super Duty Trucks | Car and Driver Blog

I believe that to be a typo or an incomplete thought that wasn't caught.

6R80 and super duty don't have any valid hits on Google, which would lean towards it being a typo.

Incomplete thought: 6R140 is the big brother to the 6R80...

The 6R80 is currently used in the mustang and f150. The current f250 uses the 6r140 transmissions. I guess they mean that's basically a scaled down version of the 140, but it's not the same tranny.

Ford Introduces New Automatic Transmission on 2011 Super Duty Trucks | Car and Driver Blog
The 6.4l powerstroke utilized a 5-speed transmission, so it's not that either. It may be the transmission from the transit van? idk.

2008-2010 6.4L Ford Powerstroke Transmission

From the Ford Lightening:

he 6R140 is just too big. id bet it it weighs in at 75lbs more that the 4r100. i have to use a cherry picker to get em on the jack. thats the only tranny i can say that about. the insides are insanely large. the ford manual wants you to use cherry picker to remove the geartrain for repair. its that heavy! the hard parts are massive. id be comfortable putting it in a kenworth...but all in all its just too big/heavy...but the durability is definitely there.

the 6r80 can definitely take what the lightning can dish out. its a smaller version of the 140. its got a massive planet that looks to be indestructable. i was amazed when i saw how much clutch was in this tranny. the steels are nearly .120 thick...and there still 6 plus clutches in each section. this is unheard of. im sure this can take a ton of power reliably. also the drums are GROB....a badass cold rolled steel that dissapates heat very quickly. i believe it to be a bit lighter than the 4r100 but not much. if you were dead set on a 6 speed swap this is your tranny....

now both these units have that crazy low 1st gear......to me this would be a detriment for any built
truck
. theres no way youre gonna hook it when it counts......this being said i think the 4r100 is the overall winner here.......id just keep it. for the cost of a swap with all the supporting hardware i dont see the benefit here....

now that TCI 6 speed.....come on! 8K for a trans only good to 800hp......gimme a break! its a reworked GM 4L80E.....

From the Ford Lightening:

he 6R140 is just too big. id bet it it weighs in at 75lbs more that the 4r100. i have to use a cherry picker to get em on the jack. thats the only tranny i can say that about. the insides are insanely large. the ford manual wants you to use cherry picker to remove the geartrain for repair. its that heavy! the hard parts are massive. id be comfortable putting it in a kenworth...but all in all its just too big/heavy...but the durability is definitely there.

the 6r80 can definitely take what the lightning can dish out. its a smaller version of the 140. its got a massive planet that looks to be indestructable. i was amazed when i saw how much clutch was in this tranny. the steels are nearly .120 thick...and there still 6 plus clutches in each section. this is unheard of. im sure this can take a ton of power reliably. also the drums are GROB....a badass cold rolled steel that dissapates heat very quickly. i believe it to be a bit lighter than the 4r100 but not much. if you were dead set on a 6 speed swap this is your tranny....

now both these units have that crazy low 1st gear......to me this would be a detriment for any built
truck
. theres no way youre gonna hook it when it counts......this being said i think the 4r100 is the overall winner here.......id just keep it. for the cost of a swap with all the supporting hardware i dont see the benefit here....

now that TCI 6 speed.....come on! 8K for a trans only good to 800hp......gimme a break! its a reworked GM 4L80E.....
The mustang and s/c raptor boys prove that it can handle the power everyday!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.