F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some input. Was contemplating getting turbo blankets for my 2013 F150 SCrew XLT. Would this be a waste with factory turbos?

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That won't fit. PTP makes them, they are currently undergoing revised design. I will have this new design shortly. Currently have the old ones.
So you’re saying they are a good investment. Just not the right brand

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
So you’re saying they are a good investment. Just not the right brand

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L
The only purpose it would serve for you is helping heat management. This is why I have them.

The "performance" benefit of keeping the heat in will not be doing anything driving around town.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The "performance" benefit of keeping the heat in will not be doing anything driving around town.
While I don’t plan on taking it to the track and racing... I am planning on purchasing SCT/BULLY DOG BDX with 5 Star custom tunes. Mainly so when I feel like opening her up and having some fun, I can. Plus, it’s always satisfying seeing the look on some kids face when your full size pickup either keeps up with or beats his Honda Civic.

I watched a video of a guy in a fully stock 3.5L SCrew with the BDX and the 93 Performance tune put down the same times as a 5.0 Mustang.

I am also considering getting the TURBOSMART SP SUPERSONIC BOV KIT TS-0215-1371. - or am I wasting $$?

Only mods I have now are:

-AFE Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Dual 3 1/2” Cold Air Intake System w/ Pro 5R Filter Media
-AFE ATLAS 4” Aluminized Steel CAT Back Exhaust System
-Team RXP Heat Exchanged Full Billet Serviceable Ultimate Dual Catch Can System

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just my meager opinion, but you did solicit some,
"Would this be a waste with factory turbos?" The blankets are a waste except for management of heat, and then you need to be pushing the system past normal operating modes. As pointed out.

"-AFE Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Dual 3 1/2” Cold Air Intake System w/ Pro 5R Filter Media
-Team RXP Heat Exchanged Full Billet Serviceable Ultimate Dual Catch Can System"
Are for the most part appearance/attitude enhancements adding little to 0 performance increase. As well as the big bore throttle body unless the motor is ready for more flow. The BOV only adds sound of air release from the pressurized system.

Don't misgudge my opinion these add ons are fine far as appearance and attitude desired, they just do not offer much performance increase.

No mention of tuning, existing or intended, as an upgrade. That will make a big improvement. Next maybe downpipes and large diameter turbo adapters. A CAC upgrade to keep engine management computer from pulling timing due to high IAT2's. Even dabbling into ethanol/methanol blends for performance boost's.
I think your putting the cart before the horse(power), possibly spending your way to disappointment.
Or are you just not clearly stating intended purposes. Could it be I'm assuming something else? KM

PS: I did go back and see reference to a tuner and tunes. That is a good start. km

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just my meager opinion, but you did solicit some,
"Would this be a waste with factory turbos?" The blankets are a waste except for management of heat, and then you need to be pushing the system past normal operating modes. As pointed out.

"-AFE Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Dual 3 1/2” Cold Air Intake System w/ Pro 5R Filter Media
-Team RXP Heat Exchanged Full Billet Serviceable Ultimate Dual Catch Can System"
Are for the most part appearance/attitude enhancements adding little to 0 performance increase. As well as the big bore throttle body unless the motor is ready for more flow. The BOV only adds sound of air release from the pressurized system.

Don't misgudge my opinion these add ons are fine far as appearance and attitude desired, they just do not offer much performance increase.

No mention of tuning, existing or intended, as an upgrade. That will make a big improvement. Next maybe downpipes and large diameter turbo adapters. A CAC upgrade to keep engine management computer from pulling timing due to high IAT2's. Even dabbling into ethanol/methanol blends for performance boost's.
I think your putting the cart before the horse(power), possibly spending your way to disappointment.
Or are you just not clearly stating intended purposes. Could it be I'm assuming something else? KM

PS: I did go back and see reference to a tuner and tunes. That is a good start. km
I appreciate your input, that’s why I was asking. So, skip the throttle body and blankets for now and focus on the tuner.

I’m just looking for some performance upgrades, without getting crazy. Like I originally said, I’m not going to the track. I’m aware the catch cans aren’t performance items, more for trying to abate the GDI dirty intake problem.

Although I have to say I thought the combo of the larger Intake and larger diameter exhaust deleting the muffler would allow the tuning to take more advantage of increased flow. But. I’m no engineer

Well I just took advantage of a Black Friday sale and ordered the BDX tuner. So I should have that within the week.

What CAC is recommended for my application? Only other mods I plan on are maybe leveling the front and going up to 18” wheels.

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Registered
578 Posts
What CAC is recommended for my application? Only other mods I plan on are maybe leveling the front and going up to 18” wheels.
The one Ford includes. It's absolutely sufficient until you start going after serious power gains... like aftermarket turbos, etc.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm quite sure the tune will put a smile on yer face! CAC is dependent on budget. I have a low cost CVF Titan bolt in waiting for warm weather season.
Airflow improvements need some extra engine mods to make a difference. Ford did a very good job at maximizing the stock flow especially with the EB's, but the upgraded parts do not hurt at all!
I built my RCSB 2.7 for FS trails and highway handling and THE BIG improvement there is the Icon Stage 1 suspension, a very big step up, well worth the cost to me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The one Ford includes. It's absolutely sufficient until you start going after serious power gains... like aftermarket turbos, etc.
I'm not a tuner but doesn't timing start being pulled at 115 degrees IAT2? That is commonly approached and exceeded particularly on tuned motors running OEM CAC's.
When is timing pulled? KM

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm not a tuner but doesn't timing start being pulled at 115 degrees IAT2? That is commonly approached and exceeded particularly on tuned motors running OEM CAC's.
When is timing pulled? KM
I shouldn't post when I'm tired. My brain said CAI, not CAC. Yes, a CAC will absolutely be beneficial if you heat-soak the factory unit (which doesn't take much).

·
Registered
189 Posts
And an old geezer caught it! I do that a LOT (not catch stuff, but loose track of what the he-- I'm sayin'). KM

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I would not do a tuner if you don't want anything to do with that. Turbo blanket nor tb will do anything.

I would do a intercooler, you have a catch can sytem already, this will insure trouble free long life. Just keep up on fluid changes.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
A tune/tuner doesn't have to be any more stressful to the drive train than oem tuning.

It can just be improved fueling and/or improved transmission strategy.

Think modern "normally aspirated" tuning?

The Mazda Miata is the typical modern normally aspirated inline 4 that is so efficiently engineered that it's not easy to increase power output significantly without major modifications. Yet, with a tune, the car is much more enjoyable to drive due to an improved (flatter) torque curve and crisper throttle response. On a dyno, you are lucky to get 10 additional horsepower, so you really aren't putting much additional load on anything.

So my point is simply that even a high mileage Ecoboost that someone didn't want to add a bunch of stress to, there's still the added enjoyment of a better, smoother, cleaner experience of putting power to the pavement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would not do a tuner if you don't want anything to do with that. Turbo blanket nor tb will do anything.

I would do a intercooler, you have a catch can sytem already, this will insure trouble free long life. Just keep up on fluid changes.
Well, it’s too late. The tuner is purchased.

So it seems unanimous that the next step is the CAC/Intercooler.

Recommendations? Mainly street driving. No track use (except maybe once or twice to check my times after the upgrades).

Like I said, just to freak out unwitting passengers and keep them young’uns with their civics in place.

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
An intercooler is mandatory IMO weather just a DD or whatever. In the summer etc the IATs will be crazy. A intercooler combined with catch can system, you can expect better combustion and long term reliability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
An intercooler is mandatory IMO weather just a DD or whatever. In the summer etc the IATs will be crazy. A intercooler combined with catch can system, you can expect better combustion and long term reliability.
I’ll probably purchase from 5-star tuning since I’ll get my tunes re-done for free.

I’ll probably go for the Mishimoto Black with pipes set for $1385.

But that will be a spring project. Not gonna be crawling under the truck in winter except for my oil changes.

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Registered
520 Posts
I’ll probably purchase from 5-star tuning since I’ll get my tunes re-done for free.

I’ll probably go for the Mishimoto Black with pipes set for $1385.

But that will be a spring project. Not gonna be crawling under the truck in winter except for my oil changes.

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L
The mishi stuff is currently 60% off

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts