F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel that they have some turbo hesitation, when I step on the gas the response feels fairly slow and a bit of a hesitation then it kicks in. I think I might have low turbo boost, I have a 2011
thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yup, that's the nature of the beast. It has come a long way since the older turbos, but turbo lag is just a fact of life for the EcoBeast and all turbo vehicles. In reality the EcoBeasts lag isn't too bad compared to other turbo cars a have driven and owned.

SPPD

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you give it a little throttle then mash on it response is alot better. It has to spool the turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just as the pitcher and quarterback has to cock the arm to throw, the Ecoboost has to spool the tool before throwing you back into the seat and throwing you into the lead.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know what you're talking about. Like others have said... Its MUCH better now, then it was even 5-10 years ago. Just tweak your driving style a bit and you'll be in good shape.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
There should be VERY minimal turbo lag. Ecoboost eliminates most of the turbo lag by using two smaller diameter turbos that spool quicker.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My other truck is an '04 Lightning. There is instant power when depressing the pedal. So the turbo lag has been a bit of an adjustment for me. The ride and handling of the Eco is great. Not to mention the two extra MPG I get. That is a big help. All kidding aside I really do enjoy the Eco. It is the deep red FX2 with appearance package. I'll post pics when weather is more suited for a detailing marathon. And I figure out how to post them using an IPAD.

·
Registered
495 Posts
From a dead stop and a pedal mash yes you will notice the lag as the turbos need to spool up a little. Even though FOMOCO designed the little turbo to feed the bigger one and eliminate much of the lag it is still apparent and normal if you just mash the gas. However if you hold the brake build about 2k in rpm it will not be noticeable. Also from a roll it is almost non existent since the turbos are already spinning. If you have ever watched any turbo drag cars you will notice they build rpm(boost) while staged and if they don't you'll otice the car will be very flat out of the hole.
Don

·
Registered
229 Posts
Build the boost off of a stop and mash it they will spin a few gears.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Have driven other turbos including a 280Z, 300ZX, Ram Cummins and a hoard of 2.5 Chrysler products. The lag in my truck is ridiculously less than any of those except maybe the mid nineties 300ZX TT. That one was a serious weapon. Had to take throttle related evasive action the other day and my big red Ford got R Done! But...the turbos were already spooled some from the start. Broke loose the rear wheels until the traction control took over. By then the texting idiot was in the rear view mirror!

·
Registered
143 Posts
A salesman at the dealership mentioned this and said it depends on how you drive the truck. The computer "learns" your driving style and if you have a little lead foot, the computer in the truck will start advancing the timing etc. each time you come up to a stop sign, because it has learned you like to goose it a little on take off. On the other hand if slow and easy is your usual mode of driving, and then you get on it, you take the computer by surprise and it takes it a minute to configure the engine for the power you want. Crazy isn't it? Your own truck is watching you, even as you drive...Can anyone say twilight zone?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Have driven other turbos including a 280Z, 300ZX, Ram Cummins and a hoard of 2.5 Chrysler products. The lag in my truck is ridiculously less than any of those except maybe the mid nineties 300ZX TT. That one was a serious weapon. Had to take throttle related evasive action the other day and my big red Ford got R Done! But...the turbos were already spooled some from the start. Broke loose the rear wheels until the traction control took over. By then the texting idiot was in the rear view mirror!
i hear you there !
i was cruising a 5 degrees grade just yesterday myself and some retard in a big dually pullin a trailer pulled onto the road in front of me.
i can tell you for sure with the pedal to the floor all he saw was tail lights and since i was picking up speed like it wasnt even a hill i just blew past the next one i came up behind for fun
i have been up that hill thousands of times but for the first time ever i was goin 95 MPH up it like it wasnt even there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
brian351w
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing