F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I start, I’d like to say that I have searched the internet including here about my issue and didn’t come up with anything that sounds like what I am dealing with. I took my truck in to get normal maintenance, oil change, tire rotation, etc., and the tech (Firestone) came out to me and told me that I had an oil leak from my drain bolt and my passenger turbo. He didn’t know much about it since firestone is a tire place and not a repair shop. So my questions are, has anyone else had a leaking turbo? Will this effect my gas mileage, if so, what is everyone else getting as far as gas mileage? I’m getting roughly 13.5-14 MPG. Is this an easy fix? What causes it? just basic question regarding this. I am just worried that it could be a bigger problem than what it seems. I don’t see any oil spots on my drive way, so it must not be leaking that bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
2013 F-150 EcoBoost FX4

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The oil lubricates the shaft of the turbine inside the turbo. If there are supply issues, the turbo is operating without proper flow of lubrication = failure. If it's the drain back to the oil pan, it's probably not a big deal, but you'll lose oil over time if the leak get's bigger. Turbo replacement is about $500 per side just in parts, so if it were me, I would do everything I could to keep up with the PM regarding them. I'd get it fixed or looked at by someone who know's the system.

·
Registered
102 Posts
coolant leaks at the turbo are extremely common - my fitting on my passenger side turbo was leaking, as it leaks it drips down around the turbo housing and collects on the turbo oil feed/drain line; this makes it seem like the oil is leaking; i would just confirm its not antifreeze by touching, smelling and feeling it (the drips)

if oil, you want to get that fixed (turbos need oil) - the turbo coolant jiffy tite connections are notorious for leaking on the turbo where the o-rings in side of them get extremely hot, turn brittle and start to leak so coolant is a more common leak

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.