F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So in the spring the dealership replaced my drivers side turbo due to an oil leak on the turbo. This happened with about 2 weeks and 200 km of factory warranty left on the truck. After picking it up it seemed to run fine but once or twice a month I would get a strange hoot noise coming off boost at mild to moderate acceleration. This noise was not reproducible on demand so I had no way of proving to the dealer that I thought something was a bit off. 2 months ago I had a MAP sensor go and the hooting noise is now becoming more noticeable. They diagnosed the sensor and performed the repairs but claimed no fault found on the turbo noise. I do extensive winter travel so this has become a safety concern so yesterday I went to a private garage and had them look at it. First thing we did was real test drive where the tech was able to hear the noise. He then rechecked all the hoses and tested the wastegates for function. He then brought be back to see the oil that was all over the "new" turbo. We stopped there as the time/money was starting to add up but I am now looking at what was either a false repair by the dealer back in the spring or a defective part.

I want to take this up with Ford Canada to see if they will back this obviously bad part. If anyone can point me to one of the site members that is on the Canadian side I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The driver's side turbo gets all smegged up with PCV ****. Is this the case? Do the castings look relatively new? Hardware? Tool marks anywhere?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
My truck was making this owl-hooting noise too, right when you let off the throttle. I replaced the BOV with an aftermarket turbosmart one and the problem went away but my new problem is now I love to hear the BOV to atmosphere and can’t get enough of it. Try that out.

2012 Screw 3.5L

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My Truck is a 2013 - I swapped out the bov for another new factory model and no change. Truck is stock. One other note of interest is the time the turbo was swapped they also did the timing chain and cam phazers. Dont think that is really related but hey, better to paint the full picture.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My truck was making this owl-hooting noise too, right when you let off the throttle. I replaced the BOV with an aftermarket turbosmart one and the problem went away but my new problem is now I love to hear the BOV to atmosphere and can’t get enough of it. Try that out.

2012 Screw 3.5L
I also replaced the wastegates as well at that same time so, not sure which it is. The stock BOV looked fine, no tears in it that I could see. I didn’t inspect the wastegates as they are all one piece in a sealed case. So my guess is it could be one or the other.

2012 Screw 3.5L

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'd keep following the leads you're following. Common sense wins out, and my perception of your symptoms would lead me to that BOV or wastegate. Could also be a hose loose, but if you already had that inspected, i'd feel good proceeding the path you're on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So your thinking likely just the air management issue - wastegate or bov? I was also until I saw the oil on the unit. If as suggested the oil is "normal" then yes I will likely look into replacing the wastegate since the bov is already done.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost.

The oil is normal...to a certain point (not on the outside though, on the inside, yes). I would lead to believe it’s a wastegate then. Because mine did do that exact noise your talking about and now it’s gone.

2012 Screw 3.5L

·
Registered
951 Posts
Turbo leaking oil and making "Owl hooting" noise coming off boost.

You have two different problems if it leaking oil and making that noise, I think, don’t shoot the messenger, please.

2012 Screw 3.5L

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the oil is on the outside so I think the seals are on there way out. Hooting noise might be just a symptom of a larger issue.

·
Registered
563 Posts
So your thinking likely just the air management issue - wastegate or bov? I was also until I saw the oil on the unit. If as suggested the oil is "normal" then yes I will likely look into replacing the wastegate since the bov is already done.
That's where common sense tells me to go with it, yes. Plus I always start with the "costs less" stuff first before making a large unnecessary purchase and regretting it later. Some of that only costs you time. Might help to get an ear by that system, and have someone throttling it up and down while you listen. Found a few exhaust leaks that way.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Might help to get an ear by that system, and have someone throttling it up and down while you listen. Found a few exhaust leaks that way.
It’s a little difficult/different when it’s not under load. I thought the same thing but never could get the same sound with it sitting there in park or neutral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2011 F150 Ecoboost. The turbo and block were replaced in Aug. due to a failure, so they are Ford's updated replacement... My system makes the same "hooting" noise when you let of the throttle under movement. Dealer said it was a normal noise....?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think thats crap. I never heard it on the first 80000 km and it only started after the left side turbo was replaced.
Not happy with FORD right now. Opened a case with Ford Canada and they insist on having a diagnostic done again at a Ford dealer even though I have photos of the leaking turbo. I get it to a point so I did what was requested. Dealer comes back with no faults found, drives and sounds normal and NO LEAKS. I even forwarded the email from the other garage showing pictures of the wet turbo. I am at a loss now. I really wish the problem would come on and stay on but its so inconsistent its crazy. Oh, and I am not seeing much around for just a wastegate swap for the 13-15 models unlike the 11-12 years so that option may not be easy. My other thought was a boost control solenoid. That I could see as a possible intermittent failure item.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a ‘13 screw limited making the same hooting noise while gently backing off the throttle. I have had he truck since March of ‘18 with 82,000 miles. Over the summer, I installed an AFE stage 2 intake and the x4 controller. Everything was great till about 2 months ago when the noise started. No drop in boost, vacuum or performance. I replaced the BOV with a new OEM BOV, and no change. It is intermittent, and I can not duplicate it on demand. I tried to find the waste gates, but ran into the same thing. They are available for the ‘11 and ‘12’s, but not ‘13 and up. I just bought the turbo bypass valve solenoid. One of the other posts I read, recommended replacing that around 100k miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm having the same thing happen to my 2013 now. I'm leaning towards a bad/failing wastegate and/or turbo. Always said if one failed I would replace with either the BW or Full Race turbos, looks like I need to place an order on Monday :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I replaced the turbo bypass solenoid and it seemed better for about 20 miles......then I heard the noise again. I’m starting to think wastegate also. Dealer says about $1200 roughly for a pair, but they are remanned. I would rather go with Full Race or Garrett, but they are $2300. Ugh....this ones gonna hurt!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Read the thread in my signature. The hooting is a very easy fix, just a bit of a annoyance more than anything. The first thing that I would inspect is the vacuum check valve between the intake manifold and vacuum reservoir. The BOVs need vacuum to actuate and will fart, quack, or hoot if there isn't enough vacuum to quickly pull on the diaphragm. From there, I would check the BOV diaphragms and also the plastic bore that the plunger rides in.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts