F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
HI Folks....so I've having some issues wit my turbo..i think...im driving a 2016 3.5 eco 170k ...lately I've been starting to hear my tubro sqweel on a cold start ..but it stops once the truck kinda warms
up...but then I go to drive it..and there it is again...so I've been thinking my turbo is on the way out...the sound is coming from driver side...so ive been reading articles the last couple days on here about similar problems but yesterday a discussion on here opened a new can of warms...telling me it could also to be the exhaust manifold....soo..my question is ..how do I know if it my turbo or my manifold..? Yes..I could get ford to diagnose it but I wanna avoid tht...as the truck getting older and I wanna start knowing it...

From your description and not taking the previous thread/post that you had read into consideration, an exhaust manifold leak is what came to my mind. A mirror and a good light, check the mating surfaces between the head and the manifold to see if you can see exhaust stains blowing out of these areas. Check to see if it has popped a manifold stud as this is also a somewhat common problem.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
From your description and not taking the previous thread/post that you had read into consideration, an exhaust manifold leak is what came to my mind. A mirror and a good light, check the mating surfaces between the head and the manifold to see if you can see exhaust stains blowing out of these areas. Check to see if it has popped a manifold stud as this is also a somewhat common problem.
Do I need to remove the fender liner to do so...?

Not to make light of the situation but yes, no, maybe, it depends upon if there is and where the leak might be and the tools you have and your ability to maneuver around under the hood to see things. Obviously not having the fender liner in the truck makes it easier to look around but I can’t tell you that this is a necessity.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Not to make light of the situation but yes, no, maybe, it depends upon if there is and where the leak might be and the tools you have and your ability to maneuver around under the hood to see things. Obviously not having the fender liner in the truck makes it easier to look around but I can’t tell you that this is a necessity.
I'll remove it and do it right...lol...just a matter pr doing it...

i have had a leak on the turbo to manifold flange on one side, and a manifold to head on the other. both got better when it warmed up. soapy water on a cold motor will help you identify it

Reactions: GearHead_1
HI Folks....so I've having some issues wit my turbo..i think...im driving a 2016 3.5 eco 170k ...lately I've been starting to hear my tubro sqweel on a cold start ..but it stops once the truck kinda warms View attachment 166810 up...but then I go to drive it..and there it is again...so I've been thinking my turbo is on the way out...the sound is coming from driver side...so ive been reading articles the last couple days on here about similar problems but yesterday a discussion on here opened a new can of warms...telling me it could also to be the exhaust manifold....soo..my question is ..how do I know if it my turbo or my manifold..? Yes..I could get ford to diagnose it but I wanna avoid tht...as the truck getting older and I wanna start knowing it...
HI Folks....so I've having some issues wit my turbo..i think...im driving a 2016 3.5 eco 170k ...lately I've been starting to hear my tubro sqweel on a cold start ..but it stops once the truck kinda warms View attachment 166810 up...but then I go to drive it..and there it is again...so I've been thinking my turbo is on the way out...the sound is coming from driver side...so ive been reading articles the last couple days on here about similar problems but yesterday a discussion on here opened a new can of warms...telling me it could also to be the exhaust manifold....soo..my question is ..how do I know if it my turbo or my manifold..? Yes..I could get ford to diagnose it but I wanna avoid tht...as the truck getting older and I wanna start knowing it...
Same issue since 45k. Best friend has same issue, same year model.
Warped manifold. If is sound like air blowing over a blade of grass, like vibrating chirp, thats it. His broke the bolts off. Buy the after market manifolds, if not you'll be back in 40-50k doing the same thing again. Good Luck.

Sounds similar to my exhaust leak, it gets better after about 45 seconds but never goes away. It is usually the rear stud that is broken from what I've read. Remember, when you dig in to it you'll want to replace the connectors for coolant flow on the head and on the turbo - they will start leaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.