F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a turbo eat itself and pump metal into the intercooler on my f150. There did not seem to be any that made it to my intake, but I spent probably five hours cleaning my piping, CAC, oil lines to turbos, etc. I also filled oil and changed filter, let truck idle for 30min, and then changed them again to check filter for metal and watch for issues. I replaced the turbos with an OEM set i purchased on this forum and installed those with CRP wheels. I'd like to compliment CR performance on their communication, fair pricing, shipping time, as well as the quality of product i received. I have driven with these for last few weeks and would like to confirm that on my truck these wheels have increased the power of my truck noticeably according to my butt dyno. I also feel like they have a little quicker response on the same tune and also will hold 20psi when OEM turbos would fall to 18psi by redline. The Iat temps without meth stay lower, and I expect they are with meth as well it's just harder to judge with the dramatic drops on meth. Anyone on fence i will say that if you are already replacing turbos then I highly recommend these at their price point. As far as my turbo that failed, I believe the failure was due to foreign material damaging the compressor wheel and causing an imbalance that wore journal bearing to point of catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
U[video]https://video-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/27919705_150661402310997_7504515220073611264_n.mp4 ?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=87af5caf95671b63b00b27e55096aa44&oe=5A83061F[/video]
Here is a quick 20-65 pull down a back alley in Tijuana on my 93 DD tune. Haven't made any changes for new compressor wheels, but it still had noticeably more pull at high rpm and boost doesn't fall off like with the OEM wheels. Stock tune ran perfect as well. I haven't ran my E30 w/meth tune yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, you didn't waste any time getting those spoolers and bolting them up!
Haha it took a few hours to pull and install in my driveway. Passenger side turbo has a turbo to manifold bolt break, which took longer to remedy than the entire r&r of turbos. No fun lol. I could have done it at work using a lift much quicker. I also removed alot of normally unnecessary parts to ensure all the particulate was removed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WP_20180120_15_40_48_Pro.jpg
This is the failed turbo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WP_20180124_21_56_18_Pro.jpg
This is one of the replacement turbos with CR Performance wheel installed

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I admire your gusto. Hope the results are a real kick!

Those rims I got from ya are going on today or tomorrow. They're perfect for the hooligan role they've been tasked with. :p

Thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, I look forward to seeing them. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Sneak peek.
I regret not fetching them from you when you first listed them. It would have saved you the time you spent cleaning them up.

Still looking for center-caps. (and ideas)
They're powdercoated the Caribou accent color of the King Ranch. I'm very pleased with how they are going to speak. Lol

I'm a notorious hijacker. Sorry.

Back to turbos!

·
Registered
924 Posts
These CR compressor wheels have intrigued me since they were announced. Good to see that they are noticeable increase in power. Would love to see a dyno graph of these vs stock turbos on 93 pump gas. Any increase in turbo noise compared to stock wheels? Link wouldn’t work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These CR compressor wheels have intrigued me since they were announced. Good to see that they are noticeable increase in power. Would love to see a dyno graph of these vs stock turbos on 93 pump gas. Any increase in turbo noise compared to stock wheels? Link wouldn’t work for me.

You can't tell in video, but they definitely increase part throttle spool noise and cold start noise(prob only with an exhaust on cold start though). Down low in rpm feels the same, but noticeable increase in the way it pulls above 4500rpm at same psi, as well as ability to hold 2-3 psi to redline.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You can't tell in video, but they definitely increase part throttle spool noise and cold start noise(prob only with an exhaust on cold start though). Down low in rpm feels the same, but noticeable increase in the way it pulls above 4500rpm at same psi, as well as ability to hold 2-3 psi to redline.
That’s just what this engine needs in terms of power gains. I’ve never heard a complaint about an ecoboost truck getting out of the hole, just that it runs out of steam in the upper rpms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea that's what I was going for. I see alot of people actually trimming power down low. We really need more options for stock location turbos exhaust side changes. The compressor side is pretty well covered it seems.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Any chance we could hear some exhaust clips with the wheels installed? Maybe a cold start and some revs? I remember the batmowheels sounded wicked in the videos I’ve seen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you for your kind words dft1121 and your review of our performance wheels. Its comments like this that make our day knowing we have pleased customers out there using our products.

I think you summed up our Performance OEM Profile Billet Wheels well. If your already are into the turbos to rebuild its a great little add on for additional pep. However I would not recommend to a customer to tear down only to install these. ( Unless your putting a set of performance manifolds on, or some other nice parts!)

Thank you once again for your purchase and have a great week.

If anyone has any questions about our products please do not hesitate to ask, I will do my best to answer them. Thank you!

Andrew C @ CR Performance Engineering Inc.

I recently had a turbo eat itself and pump metal into the intercooler on my f150. There did not seem to be any that made it to my intake, but I spent probably five hours cleaning my piping, CAC, oil lines to turbos, etc. I also filled oil and changed filter, let truck idle for 30min, and then changed them again to check filter for metal and watch for issues. I replaced the turbos with an OEM set i purchased on this forum and installed those with CRP wheels. I'd like to compliment CR performance on their communication, fair pricing, shipping time, as well as the quality of product i received. I have driven with these for last few weeks and would like to confirm that on my truck these wheels have increased the power of my truck noticeably according to my butt dyno. I also feel like they have a little quicker response on the same tune and also will hold 20psi when OEM turbos would fall to 18psi by redline. The Iat temps without meth stay lower, and I expect they are with meth as well it's just harder to judge with the dramatic drops on meth. Anyone on fence i will say that if you are already replacing turbos then I highly recommend these at their price point. As far as my turbo that failed, I believe the failure was due to foreign material damaging the compressor wheel and causing an imbalance that wore journal bearing to point of catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for your kind words dft1121 and your review of our performance wheels. Its comments like this that make our day knowing we have pleased customers out there using our products.

I think you summed up our Performance OEM Profile Billet Wheels well. If your already are into the turbos to rebuild its a great little add on for additional pep. However I would not recommend to a customer to tear down only to install these. ( Unless your putting a set of performance manifolds on, or some other nice parts!)

Thank you once again for your purchase and have a great week.

If anyone has any questions about our products please do not hesitate to ask, I will do my best to answer them. Thank you!

Andrew C @ CR Performance Engineering Inc.
You're welcome, and thank you! I will definitely purchase from you guys again in the future if possible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
Envious
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing