F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 2012 FX4 EcoBoost and I can really only hear his turbo's spool up when he's towing his boat or romping on it...and I can NEVER hear his Blow off valve. This morning, after letting my EcoBoost warm up for about 10 minutes (~5 degrees out), I am pulling out of my driveway and can hear the turbo's spool up. curious if its just a weird noise coming from my engine or not so I gave it about 75% throttle and nope, it is definitely the turbo's...and I can also hear the BOV when letting off the throttle. I thought I read somewhere that they put at least one larger turbo in the '13's compared to the '12's but maybe I'm mistaken. Is this normal for people with the '13's or '14's??

I would assume there will be a reply about how I'm overthinking stuff but I have NEVER bought a Brand New vehicle before so I would expect some crap to be wrong with a used one.

TIA

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Lol, we have bigger turbos and an electronic BOV that's a good bit louder than the 11-12's.

I heard mine spooling at low speed and a bit of throttle when she was stock, but now they're really loud.:cool:

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Turbos spool quicker/harder under a load than not due to the increased exhaust gasses/pressure, and Pinero is correct as well.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Don't let that go to your head Pinero

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm almost done with a solution for all years to have a regular BoV if they want. :) You can have your loud PFFFT if you want! :p

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Better than my VTA? On 12

·
Registered
82 Posts
My buddys 13 is way louder then my 13. Only difference in our trucks is he has 35s and level im stock. Wondering if the extra load from 35s is causing it or do they just get louder as you break in truck? mine only has 5,000km on it, he has 15,000

·
Registered
805 Posts
Better than my VTA? On 12

Yes, we'll have a new charge pipe and turbo to intercooler pipes available soon. On the pre-13 we can sell you stock BoV block off plates and you can install an aftermarket BoV on the charge pipe (from IC to TB).

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Yes, we'll have a new charge pipe and turbo to intercooler pipes available soon. On the pre-13 we can sell you stock BoV block off plates and you can install an aftermarket BoV on the charge pipe (from IC to TB).
I'm just heading out I a lil 6 hour drive. Back Sunday. Let's talk then. I'm pumped

Reactions: EPP

·
Registered
805 Posts
What's the difference in the 2012 vs 2013 turbos?

Besides the BOVs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12's have built in mechanical BoV - block off plates can be installed to remove factory BoV
13's have E-Bov and turbos are a bit larger - E-BoV can be unplugged to disable (I've had some say throw a code, others say no so jury is out on this one as far as throwing a code) and then use an aftermarket BoV instead. I can work on a harness/resistor scenario for the E-BoV replacement for people that throw a code.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
You working on piping from turbos to intake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
12's have built in mechanical BoV - block off plates can be installed to remove factory BoV
13's have E-Bov and turbos are a bit larger - E-BoV can be unplugged to disable (I've had some say throw a code, others say no so jury is out on this one as far as throwing a code) and then use an aftermarket BoV instead. I can work on a harness/resistor scenario for the E-BoV replacement for people that throw a code.
Is there a difference in performance with an aftermarket vs keeping my E - Bob

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
You working on piping from turbos to intake?

It's all done, just finalizing the prototypes so I can do some dynos.
Also catted, catless downpipes and coated.
Lots of cool stuff coming out from NAPA parts boy soon.

Is there a difference in performance with an aftermarket vs keeping my E - Bob

No BUT the piping may provide additional flow, I'm getting these pipes ready in preparation for the big turbos and fuel solution I'm working on. With my Flex the rubber parts on the ends of the tubes ripped so I'm being proactive.
Getting ready for 600HP+ power capabilities on the trucks.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I seen increase in trap speed with afe charge pipe.

I wouldn't doubt the stock piping from turbos are leaving hp on the table. Very interesting

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's all done, just finalizing the prototypes so I can do some dynos.
Also catted, catless downpipes and coated.
Lots of cool stuff coming out from NAPA parts boy soon.

No BUT the piping may provide additional flow, I'm getting these pipes ready in preparation for the big turbos and fuel solution I'm working on. With my Flex the rubber parts on the ends of the tubes ripped so I'm being proactive.
Getting ready for 600HP+ power capabilities on the trucks.
Sweet thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts